Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Craziest sending off ever

• 27-10-2018 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭

Was the ref on drugs or what?

https://www.kildarenow.com/sport/two-mile-house-management-left-bemused-following-bizarre-sending-off-players-name/255046

Take your pick from one of the many incidents that occurred towards the end of Two Mile House’s clash with Shandonagh in the Leinster Intermediate Football Championship on Saturday, but the sending off of goalkeeper Didier Cordonnier was undoubtedly the most controversial.

Didier Cordonnier got two yellows in the space of 10 seconds; one was because he kicked the ball off the pitch which, as a young fella you’re told you’re not allowed two balls on the pitch, so he kicked one off.

Then the referee asked him his name when he was booking him, he gave him his name, he didn’t believe his name was Didier Cordonnier, he asked him to spell it. He spelled out his name and next thing the referee got annoyed or whatever and gave him the line.”

I'd like to see the ref's report from this game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Putinbot wrote: »
    Was the ref on drugs or what?

https://www.kildarenow.com/sport/two-mile-house-management-left-bemused-following-bizarre-sending-off-players-name/255046

Take your pick from one of the many incidents that occurred towards the end of Two Mile House’s clash with Shandonagh in the Leinster Intermediate Football Championship on Saturday, but the sending off of goalkeeper Didier Cordonnier was undoubtedly the most controversial.

Didier Cordonnier got two yellows in the space of 10 seconds; one was because he kicked the ball off the pitch which, as a young fella you’re told you’re not allowed two balls on the pitch, so he kicked one off.

Then the referee asked him his name when he was booking him, he gave him his name, he didn’t believe his name was Didier Cordonnier, he asked him to spell it. He spelled out his name and next thing the referee got annoyed or whatever and gave him the line.”

I'd like to see the ref's report from this game.

Which one of the Cordonniers is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I saw a player get sent off in a championship hurling game for trying to pull on a ball in the air, he missed and connected with one of his own players by mistake. Never even touched an opponent.
    Straight red.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,361 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Apparently this isn't the first time this has happened to Twomilehouse either! They had a player called James Bond sent off for the same reason a few years back!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Remember in an U17 county final that I played in ages ago, one of our players on the jumped to keep a ball from going wide and his momentum took him over the end line. He hopped back up and ran back on the pitch. Referee stopped the game and gave him a second yellow card for rejoining the field of play without the referee's permission. The guy happened to be our top scorer that season and we went from being 3 points up to losing by 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Remember in an U17 county final that I played in ages ago, one of our players on the jumped to keep a ball from going wide and his momentum took him over the end line. He hopped back up and ran back on the pitch. Referee stopped the game and gave him a second yellow card for rejoining the field of play without the referee's permission. The guy happened to be our top scorer that season and we went from being 3 points up to losing by 6.

This sounds mad but there is a rule there that if you step off the field of play you can't rejoin the action straightaway. For example for 65's or long frees a corner forward isn't meant to step behind the end-line (it might happen sometimes when the corner forward is standing at the edge of the small square and is trying to get away from his marker). I didn't realize it was a yellow card offence though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

You cannot stand off the field to gain an advantage.
    E.g. stand past end line to take a running jump to block a ball going wide
    Or standing off the field while sideline is being taken and just appearing back in onto a pass into space

Think the rule has been changed and it's no longer a yellow card. Regardless, in this case there was no advantage gained. It was simply a case of a player's momentum taking him over the line.

Wasn't it Corofin who received a baffling red card in the All Ireland club semi final this year after only a couple of minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Think the rule has been changed and it's no longer a yellow card. Regardless, in this case there was no advantage gained. It was simply a case of a player's momentum taking him over the line.

Wasn't it Corofin who received a baffling red card in the All Ireland club semi final this year after only a couple of minutes?

Ya, one of the Farraghers. I think he just fell over a player, when running for the ball. They won anyway, and I think he was exonerated, and cleared for the final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

in fairness to the ref and umpires in that one, the Moorefield full back was an utter disgrace feigning that he got hit in the play.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/moorefield-player-accused-diving-corofin-red-card-incident-151206

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Ya, one of the Farraghers. I think he just fell over a player, when running for the ball. They won anyway, and I think he was exonerated, and cleared for the final.

Got a black card in the Galway county final last Sunday too. I didn't catch what he did but he seemed fairly annoyed at the decision when he came off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Speaking of the Leinster Intermediate Football Championship it seems to throw up this every year now.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/10-sent-off-leinster-championship-clash-139954

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Liam McHale in the 1996 All Ireland replay for Mayo.

Tony Davis in 1994 against Down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭megadodge

Amprodude wrote: »

Tony Davis in 1994 against Down.

I think you're referring to Cork v Derry in 1993. Davis got sent off for something that was proven to not even be a free. Of course the lying down holding his face by Dermot Heaney was believed by the ref and a disgraceful sending off of one of football's gentlemen took place. And I was cheering for Derry!

Amprodude wrote: »
    Crazy to send a player off for running half the length of the pitch and launching himself elbow first into another player alright.

megadodge wrote: »
    I think you're referring to Cork v Derry in 1993. Davis got sent off for something that was proven to not even be a free. Of course the lying down holding his face by Dermot Heaney was believed by the ref and a disgraceful sending off of one of football's gentlemen took place. And I was cheering for Derry!

you are correct pardon me that was the game. Not being biased from but thought it was a harsh sending off. Davis wasn't a dirty player and played football.

Crazy to send a player off for running half the length of the pitch and launching himself elbow first into another player alright.

come on now he ran and jumped into to a bunch of Meath players and missed them completely and didn't even make contact. Of course you are from Meath they were such nice players in their day, pure angels.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It wasn't his fault the meath players only came up to his elbow. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

If you were to ask the ref what happened in the Didier Cordonnier incident you would hear a very different story about the circumstances of that sending off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Dots1982 wrote: »
    If you were to ask the ref what happened in the Didier Cordonnier incident you would hear a very different story about the circumstances of that sending off.

I really wondered about that. All the player (or manager) needed to do was show the ref the players name in the program/team sheet. Surely that would have been enough to get the ref to realise he made a mistake & change his mind about the player taking the piss about his name. If no one did that, it makes you wonder if there is more to the sending off than meets the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

A ref in know in a different code, once gave a player a second yellow, because he didn't believe his first name was Bosco... . . :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
Advertisement