Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Low HR when running 24hrs after a session

Options
  • 23-10-2018 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hi folks am just interested to know if anyone else finds this happens to them also...

I’ve noticed that having done a hard session at club training, be it repeats or a tempo run, that if I go for an easy run the very next evening my HR will stay quite low. I can find myself knocking out marathon paced miles and quicker at a lower HR than I’d normally expect.

I wear a garmin HR chest strap, so am confident enough of having fairly accurate data.

Really the main reason why I’m looking at this right now is I’m doing DCM this weekend and playing with the idea of doing a little bit more than just a couple of miles with strides on Saturday, the hope being that I could reproduce this pattern of a low HR on Sunday.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I heard that trouble raising you HR can be a sign of overtraining and/or fatigue

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    I heard that trouble raising you HR can be a sign of overtraining and/or fatigue

Yeah cpwgw, that could be a thing, interested to hear more. Fatigue isn’t what I’d be wanting toeing the line ðŸ˜႒.Gives me another phrase to throw into google.
    I won’t say it felt easy getting those good paces at a low HR

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

I notice the same sometimes. I do a hard long run Sunday and Mondays easy run will feel super easy with low HR. But then Tuesdays run can be more difficult.
    Fatigue and muscle soreness from a workout can take more than 24hrs to reach peak. This is why some coaches recommend workouts on consecutive days. Daneils training approach often has you do Intervals followed by Tempo the next day.
    Maybe this explains whats going on with you. I definetley wouldn't recomend the extra effort the day before Marathon! You want your muscles rested and full of glycogen

Thanks jonner, there’s info there that maybe I can use in the coming months. Did a few miles yesterday and things were good but the HR was too high which got me thinking of devious plans to lower it, I won’t be doing a session , I’ll just do the strides and a few miles. Don’t ya just hate it when the marathon finds you out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You're overthinking things.

A low HR the day after a session is fairly normal.

One single day of high HR means nothing.
    Equally, one single day of low HR means nothing.

In general you can expect your HR to come down as you get fitter but there are so many variables that have an influence on HR (sleep, stress, work, family, food, illness, ..) that have nothing to do with running that you will always see some ups and downs, and it's a waste of time trying to worry about every single dip or spike.

• Advertisement

Thanks tfb, I know it looks like overthinking, but I do have 16 hours per day to fill!! It’s just something I’ve noticed, and hadn’t really found anyone who had similar (without looking too hard). I agree re ‘one day means nothing’, but in fact every day means something too don’t they, and that’s why we go out wearing the HRMs in the first place, to see the ups and downs.

Good luck in DCM if you’re doin it and Eddie Murphy if you’re doin that too, saw u there last year - heartbreak hill infinity

Advertisement