Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin marathon ‘logistics’

Options
  • 21-10-2018 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭

First time at the marathon this year. Wondering if anyone can give any advice as to whether you can drive&park close enough to the start line on the morning or whether it’s better to take the Luas ?

I might not make it to the Expo until3/4 on Saturday afternoon-would there be big queues by that stage for the numbers and just looking around?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

sillysocks wrote: »
    First time at the marathon this year. Wondering if anyone can give any advice as to whether you can drive&park close enough to the start line on the morning or whether it’s better to take the Luas ?

I might not make it to the Expo until3/4 on Saturday afternoon-would there be big queues by that stage for the numbers and just looking around?

Hi. I can't help you much with respect to Sunday morning but I got to the Expo at about 4o'c on Sat afternoon last year, the queue was very long but it moved very quickly! I thought I'd be there ages but it only took 5 minutes I'd say, it was moving constantly. I hope that helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

youll find parking if you are there early. i drove in from maynooth last year got free parking on lombard street but i was there by 7;30 , forget about it apres 8 am

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Red Cow park and ride is a good option. Great buzz on the Luas. Packed with marathon runners.

Girl almost nerves puked on my shoes last year so watch that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Lazare wrote: »
    Red Cow park and ride is a good option. Great buzz on the Luas. Packed with marathon runners.

Girl almost nerves puked on my shoes last year so watch that.

Eek, imagine the lovely aroma running 26 miles after that 😀
    Thanks all, will be close enough to the LUAS that stops in Stephens green so it’s a toss between park and ride with that or just driving in. Will be someone else driving (who’s not doing the marathon) so wouldn’t be under too much pressure if we can’t get parking.

Anyone experience of getting a taxi after the race? Plenty around usually? Don’t think a walk to the Luas and then standing on it for the journey back would be too pleasant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Thinking of getting DART into and after the race to Portmarnock. Would it be packed? Not that I would be particular about where to sit after running DCM, but it would be easier to get up from the seat - if I sit on the floor, I may need to roll / crawl out onto the platform the other end.. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

sillysocks wrote: »

This might be of some help to you.......

Parking for Participants and Spectators
    At Q-Park Stephens Green, Q-Park Clerys and Q-Park Christchurch
    Parking is available at Q-Park Stephens Green with entrances on York Street, Mercer Street and Glovers Alley at a reduced rate of €15 for 24 hours parking. Please note Q-Park Stephens Green is open 24 hours per day.
    Parking is available at Q-Park Clerys with entrance off Cathal Brugha Street at a reduced rate of €14 for 24 hours parking. Please note Q-Park Clerys is open 24 hours per day.
    Parking is available at Q-Park Christchurch with entrance off Werburgh Street at a reduced rate of €15 for 24 hours parking. Please note Q-Park Christchurch is open 24 hours per day.
    The parking offers are only available through pre-booking your parking and are not available at the car park of the day of the event. This offer is available from October 27th – 29th 2018 inclusive.
    To avail of these offers please book online via the link to the Q-Park website below. Select Dublin Q-Park Stephens Green, Dublin Q-Park Clerys or Q-Park Dublin Christchurch then the Pre Book Parking Now button and select the 24 Hour Parking ( From Entry ) product and then use the promo code: SSE18 to activate the discount.
    Please follow the instructions supplied after booking for entry and exit of car parks.
    To book this offer and for more information on Q-Park car parks, please visit http://www.q-park.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

Irish rail are doing some works on the Sunday. In case anyone was intending to use on the day.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/october_bank_holiday_timetable_2018.pdf

Engineering works will take place between Bray/Greystones. There will be no service operating between Bray & Greystones on this date.

Engineering works will take place between Dun Laoghaire/Pearse Station.
    DART Services will operate Bray/Dun Laoghaire on the Southside & Connolly/Malahide/Howth on the Northside.

Dublin Bus will accept valid rail tickets for travel within the affected areas to/from City Centre/Dun Laoghaire.

Bus transfers will operate to/from Bray/Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I take it no early Sunday morning service on the Maynooth line. Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I take it no early Sunday morning service on the Maynooth line. Again.

It does seem a bit short sighted not to put on an early train to get people into town by means of public transport. I'd say they would get a decent amount making use of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Irish rail are doing some works on the Sunday. In case anyone was intending to use on the day.

http://www.irishrail.ie/media/october_bank_holiday_timetable_2018.pdf

Engineering works will take place between Bray/Greystones. There will be no service operating between Bray & Greystones on this date.

Engineering works will take place between Dun Laoghaire/Pearse Station.
    DART Services will operate Bray/Dun Laoghaire on the Southside & Connolly/Malahide/Howth on the Northside.

Dublin Bus will accept valid rail tickets for travel within the affected areas to/from City Centre/Dun Laoghaire.

Bus transfers will operate to/from Bray/Greystones.

Can’t believe it, will make it very difficult now for my family to come in to watch :( didn’t know about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭positron

Yep, +1. Huge event in Dublin with 20k runners + who knows how many suppoerts expected, road closures and everything leaving rail as the best form of public transport - and IrishRail decides that's the best time to close part of the line, no DART services across Liffey etc. Mind boggles!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

positron wrote: »
    Yep, +1. Huge event in Dublin with 20k runners + who knows how many suppoerts expected, road closures and everything leaving rail as the best form of public transport - and IrishRail decides that's the best time to close part of the line, no DART services across Liffey etc. Mind boggles!!

They do this at the same time every year. At least there is luas this time to get you across the city

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

Park Rite have a 9 euro offer on Drury Street

SSE Dublin Marathon Full Day Pass (offer valid on Sunday the 28th October 2018 only - €9.00

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

positron wrote: »

They always close the lines every year on the bank holiday weekend for essential maintenance. It's not actually a busy time for the public transport system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 alanladd

Hi All,
    As far as I'm aware street parking in a lot of areas around Pearse St. is free on Sunday. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Below is a link to a map showing where parking meters are located and the times of operations.
    Obviously, other rules of the road apply so don't blame me if you get towed/clamped because of the way you park. :-)
    I've parked in this area in past years without any issue. (Last time 2016)
    Don't leave anything visible in your cars either.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/LP/default.aspx?themename=Roads And Traffic&mapname=Parking Information

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Coming in from Southside so hoping to maybe get parking somewhere off lower Baggot Street like Waterloo Rd or Mespil Rd. Will see how things go, have someone else driving so can be dropped closer to the start while they go look for parking if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭cullenswood

How deep are the crowds coming up to the finish line at Merrion Square? If the wife and kids wanted to get a glimpse of my whizzing crawling by, how far down Mount St would they have to walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

How deep are the crowds coming up to the finish line at Merrion Square? If the wife and kids wanted to get a glimpse of my whizzing crawling by, how far down Mount St would they have to walk?

The RDS!! No seriously, I went to support my other half in 2016. I ended up going well down Northumberland Road before I was sure I wouldn't miss her and that she could see/ hear me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭cullenswood

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The RDS!! No seriously, I went to support my other half in 2016. I ended up going well down Northumberland Road before I was sure I wouldn't miss her and that she could see/ hear me.

Nice one, much as I feared.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I stood beside a chap last who was quite philosophical, but I just ignored him and managed to watch most of the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

I stood beside a chap last who was quite philosophical, but I just ignored him and managed to watch most of the race.
    Try harder. Or maybe not so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

ultrapercy wrote: »

Or post 3 times

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

skyblue46 wrote: »

There would be a bit more of a crowd of supporters around the RDS, but you could still get a good vantage point nearer the finish from there. I seem to recall that they have barriers on the side of the road from about Ballsbridge Hotel to keep the "crowds" back, but the wife managed to follow me on the tracking a few years ago and head out from the hotel room with a not many month old and get to the barriers to support with no problem leaving it as late as possible before leaving the warmth of the hotel room. And they then still made it along to the pub before I staggered in the door.

The advantage with spectating around the RDS though is that as the road is very wide and without the tree cover the runners should be easier to spot.

ultrapercy wrote: »

Or post 3 times
    Taper finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Anyway of watching the race online or on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

YFlyer wrote: »
    Anyway of watching the race online or on TV?

Being streamed live on youtube afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Being streamed live on youtube afaik

That's great. Thank You.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

Still a couple of parking places round Lombard st but filling up quickly.

Advertisement