Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M9 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

They've been removing gorse all along the southbound carriageway between Knocktopher and Mullinavat (J10-J11), seems to be a big job.

Any idea why this is being done? I wouldn't have thought it's bothering anyone, and surely it's good to have it for insects, birds, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fricatus wrote: »
    They've been removing gorse all along the southbound carriageway between Knocktopher and Mullinavat (J10-J11), seems to be a big job.

Any idea why this is being done? I wouldn't have thought it's bothering anyone, and surely it's good to have it for insects, birds, etc?

They've been at this all along the M9 the past month or so. They seem to have a new toy/caterpillar machine for mulching it!
    It's not particularly great for biodiversity as it blocks out all other plants and not particularly useful for food apart from at flowering I guess. (I'm no expert on Gorse though).
    If they didn't take some measures to control it would take over- the M9 is only open what, 7-8 years and look how much gorse has taken over that short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Also, although not the M9 but is very much connected to it, saw signs today stating that the widening of the M7 will start in January 3rd. Further good news, as the traffic from naas and before that to the M9 has been crazy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

road_high wrote: »
    They've been at this all along the M9 the past month or so. They seem to have a new toy/caterpillar machine for mulching it!
    It's not particularly great for biodiversity as it blocks out all other plants and not particularly useful for food apart from at flowering I guess. (I'm no expert on Gorse though).
    If they didn't take some measures to control it would take over- the M9 is only open what, 7-8 years and look how much gorse has taken over that short time.

I think a gorse fire would make the M9 very dangerous. It needs to be cut back from time to time.

I think a gorse fire would make the M9 very dangerous. It needs to be cut back from time to time.

You’re right and there actually was a few in that really dry, warm weather we got last summer. Definitely on the N10 link road there was a gorse fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Why are these signs on both on ramps at the M9 Mullinavat junction 11 (it's the only junction I've ever seen them). The only people they could be aimed at is someone who has driven on the wrong side of the motorway from the last junction 10 (Knocktopher).
    If they have made it that far and still alive then the most logical thing for them to do would be to get off the motorway as quickly as possible even if it means edging their way up the on ramp?
    Or was there a persistent problem of people driving down the on ramp, realising the had taken a wrong turn, doing a U turn on the motorway and driving back up the on ramp?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.3711309,-7.1657484,3a,37.5y,348.79h,79.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spEGbxAhKtUn6_71uVEuRmg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

hi5 wrote: »
    Why are these signs on both on ramps at the M9 Mullinavat junction 11 (it's the only junction I've ever seen them). The only people they could be aimed at is someone who has driven on the wrong side of the motorway from the last junction 10 (Knocktopher).
    If they have made it that far and still alive then the most logical thing for them to do would be to get off the motorway as quickly as possible even if it means edging their way up the on ramp?
    Or was there a persistent problem of people driving down the on ramp, realising the had taken a wrong turn, doing a U turn on the motorway and driving back up the on ramp?

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.3711309,-7.1657484,3a,37.5y,348.79h,79.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1spEGbxAhKtUn6_71uVEuRmg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
    That's an interesting one

Maybe a disgruntled council worker/ TII contractor who suffered a pay cut wanted to say a big "fucI< you" to the authorities

Apparently the motorway is going to be closed in the evenings and overnight for a number of nights soon, just outside Waterford.

I checked AA Roadwatch and KK County Council, but couldn't find anything. Anyone got a link to the details, or any idea what work they're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Pablod

Lads were out this morning laying cones on the southbound lane - just after where the new service station is due to go (between JN2 Kilcullen & JN 3 Athy)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

fricatus wrote: »
    Apparently the motorway is going to be closed in the evenings and overnight for a number of nights soon, just outside Waterford.

I checked AA Roadwatch and KK County Council, but couldn't find anything. Anyone got a link to the details, or any idea what work they're doing?

https://www.kilkennycoco.ie/eng/Services/Roads/Roads_General/Road_Closures_and_Road_Works_Information_Notices/Temp-Closure-of-Road-Surfacing-Works-on-Quarry-Roundabout-M9-Junction-12-at-Grannagh-Co-Kilkenny-Commencing-Monday-25th-June-2018.html

• Advertisement

New Services ahead signs on M9 between Kilkenny and Paulstown....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭patrickc

They seem to be replacing all the railings on the M9 bridges certainly between Carlow and Waterford. Why would this be?

patrickc wrote: »
    They seem to be replacing all the railings on the M9 bridges certainly between Carlow and Waterford. Why would this be?

Notice that on the Barrow bridge. May be a safety upgrade ?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Kevtherev1

Yes but Mullinavat is the next junction up the M9. It's not on the N25 junction so won't necessarily get that traffic.

Looking at the map. There should be a new link road designed and later built to link the end of the New Ross bypass westwards to connect with M9 Junction 11 Mullinvat. Presumably the Mullinvat MSA will be open in 2019 sometime

Have they reduced junction lighting on J5, J7 and J8? Just noticed it earlier, less lights on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The mainline at all rural motorway junctions is being un-lit. I think it'll still be lit at peak periods in late Autumn/Winter/early Spring but not 100% on that. Worst rush hour times are still daylight for about another week!

L1011 wrote: »
    The mainline at all rural motorway junctions is being un-lit. I think it'll still be lit at peak periods in late Autumn/Winter/early Spring but not 100% on that. Worst rush hour times are still daylight for about another week!

So this is a country wide thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

L1011 wrote: »

This is a bit strange, people's eyesight has not improved since those roads were built.

This is a bit strange, people's eyesight has not improved since those roads were built.

Energy saving thing. Global warming and all that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Traveled full length tonight and its all junctions. There was always way to many lights there however I think the approach to turning off both slip approaches is wrong but the junctions are still well lighted.

They should have left one or two on each slip road and reduced the numbers at both roundabouts and overpass. I mean where is the logic in having 6 lights on an over bridge + another 8 or so on either roundabout and nothing in the area where the exit starts.

If they want to save money turn off every second light on the M50.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, TII network wide

Vehicle lighting improved hugely between one set of road design manuals and the next

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Not just here, its happening all over Europe and further afield as the evidence showed it did not reduce accidents.

It also found several crashes into the lighting poles - so the lighting itself was a hazard.

http://www.tii.ie/news/press-releases/Motorway-junction-lighting/InformationUpdateMotorwqay-Route-Lighting-Aug2018-(003).pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Looks like they're getting back to work around the new motorway service area near Kilcullen, anyone got news on this??

J9 (Kilkenny south - Danesfort) is due to be closed overnight all next week according to electronic signs placed near the junction.

I searched KK Co Co and AA Roadwatch, but didn't seem to find anything.

Anyone got any further information?

Is it to do with those bridge railing repairs I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Is it to do with those bridge railing repairs I wonder?

They have setup a site office (2-3 portacabins) Hardly do that just for railings?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

They have setup a site office (2-3 portacabins) Hardly do that just for railings?

I just realized you were referring to a different junctions to Kilcullen :)

Anyways, some serious site clearance has begun on the service station, anyone got any estimates on how long it might take?

It's about time they put rumble strips and/or flashing lights at the Waterford end of the M9. Another car went straight across the roundabout at the end of the motorway (presumably) overnight and ended up buried in the fence at the top of the far embankment.

It's at least the third time I've seen the aftermath of such incidents and presumably there have been plenty over the years. You can say what you want about the need for drivers to be attentive, but that's not much use if there's a collision on the roundabout and someone is killed. In fairness to the driver, there's not a lot to warn you that the motorway is ending, and a lot of people mightn't register the big roundabout sign (or it mightn't be clearly visible in fog).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Has the M9 services opened where Applegreen were due to go. Notice CircleK have it so take it they won the court case?

Edit - Opened 25 Oct.

Advertisement