Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby podcasts thread

• 19-10-2018 5:59pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

There are so many rugby podcasts out there at the moment with every ex-player, newspaper and drinks manufacturer involved. So I thought it would be good to list them all in one place because I found it fairly difficult to find them in the first place.

Nobody has time to listen to all the rugby podcasts so it might also be good way to let others know if there are interesting discussions or guests on a podcast.

So here's my incomplete list:

Irish:
    Baz & Andrew's House of Rugby: New Joe.ie podcast replacing The Hard Yards featuring Barry Murphy and Andrew Trimble. Only one episode in but it looks good so far. YouTube link.
    Molecast: A podcast from Demented Mole. I think their blogs are great but infrequent. I had no idea they were podcasting away though! I'll definitely look into this. Thanks, Dog Botherer.
    Rugby on Off the Ball: I believe it's pretty much the radio show in podcast form. Monday nights, Wednesday nights and Friday nights (which, I believe, is when BOD is on). Typical Irish guests such as Eddie, Matt Williams, Keith Wood et al. Their roadshows are interesting.
    Second Captains: Seems to be one big sports podcast with rugby featuring often. I have no interest in other sports so I don't listen to it but it seems to be popular. I think they have extra paid content too.
    The42 Heineken Rugby Weekly: New The42.ie rugby podcast with Murray Kinsella and Andy Dunne. Should be good. Clegg says it's insightful and funny.
    The Left Wing: Luke Fitzgerald and Will Slattery with Independent.ie rugby journalists featuring sometimes. Leinster focused. Sometimes controversial. Long interviews with guests.
    The 2nd Row: Connacht and Irish provincial focus.
    Craggy Rugby Podcast: Connacht and Irish provincial focus.
    The Club Scene: Weekly AIL review and preview of all five divisions.

British:
    The Rugby Pod: Featuring Andy Goode and Jim Hamilton. Outside of international games and Heineken Cup games, it's mostly Premiership focused but they do talk about big Pro14 games. They have some great guests on sometimes but there's always always BANTER.
    Eggchasers: Similar enough in content to The Rugby Pod but different perspectives and minus the guests. Tim Cocker works for BT Sport and I don't think the other two played professionally.
    House of Rugby: New Joe.co.uk podcast. Alex Payne (the familiar Sky Sports presenter) with James Haskell and Mike Tindall (but it was Rob Vickerman in the first episode). Again, only one episode in but it looks good. YouTube link.
    Full Contact: Presented by Brian Moore. Only getting into it now but he's very good.
    Rugby Union Weekly: BBC Radio 5 show with Ugo Monye and Chris Jones
    Scrum V: BBC Wales show. Interesting perspective to get during the Pro14.
    Flats and Shanks: Features David Flatman and Tom Shanklin. Similar enough to The Rugby Pod if I'm honest.
    Will Greenwood's Rugby Podcast: Will Greenwood's rugby podcast.
    The Rugby Dungeon: JB and Phil from Eggchasers with a guest per episode. Mostly English
    Blood and Mud: Very light hearted podcast.

Other:
    End Games: The Kiwi guy behind the HYPR-SPORT Youtube channel is starting anew with a different format. He was great for analysis so hopefully it still shines through in the new format. Mostly about strategy, internationals and Super Rugby. YouTube link.
    Green and Gold Rugby: Aussie rugby podcast. I don't know much about it but I used to listen to it during the summer tour. Might become interesting to Irish fans again during the internationals and the World Cup.
    The 1014 Rugby: Used to do a podcast but they went quiet after they started working for Sky Sport NZ. Their YouTube channel is still good. They're great for analysis and insights. Presented by a Kiwi and a Munster man. Focus is on internationals and the global game. If they don't update their podcasts, their YouTube channel still has good video content.

If anyone knows any other ones or has recommendations, please post them below. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This week's highlight for me were:

The Rugby Pod with Darren Cave as a guest presenter standing in for Andy Goode. He was very good and fit in seamlessly. Rory Best also featured.
    Baz & Andy's House of Rugby launching. This has promise.
    House of Rugby UK launching.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Connacht have two pods :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The 42 have a new rugby podcast. The main host is Murray Kinsella. Andy Dunne has also been co-host for two of the three podcasts so far. I've always enjoyed Dunne's contributions to the Off the Ball rugby podcast and Kinsella is a brilliant analyst.

It's definitely worth a listen. The show is more serious in tone and tries to break down what's good and bad about the provinces. They have a bit of a laugh but it doesn't veer into cringeworthy banter like other rugby podcasts.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Connacht have two pods :confused:
    It surprised me too!
    Clegg wrote: »
    The 42 have a new rugby podcast. The main host is Murray Kinsella. Andy Dunne has also been co-host for two of the three podcasts so far. I've always enjoyed Dunne's contributions to the Off the Ball rugby podcast and Kinsella is a brilliant analyst.

It's definitely worth a listen. The show is more serious in tone and tries to break down what's good and bad about the provinces. They have a bit of a laugh but it doesn't veer into cringeworthy banter like other rugby podcasts.

Thanks. Added to the list!

Great idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Craggy Rugby Pod is very well done, well worth a listen for Connacht supporters. Listened to one episode of Heineken rugby weekly so far and that seemed good too. Off the ball is hit and miss depending on their guests. Second captains isn't great though I like their stuff more broadly. Not a fan of the independent one either. Haven't heard the new joe.ie one. Thought the hard yards was decent enough when I listened last season so surprised it changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Haven't heard the new joe.ie one. Thought the hard yards was decent enough when I listened last season so surprised it changed.

Ya I like Andy McGeady so shame he no longer involved, but I really enjoyed the new episode and Trimble is actually hilarious when he isn't commentating Ulster matches

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Some of them look very interesting indeed. Any chance you could include links?

Steve wrote: »
    Some of them look very interesting indeed. Any chance you could include links?

Good idea. I'll update it later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Molecast from the lads at Demented Mole is by some distance my favourite for Irish rugby. The lads have been writing about rugby for years and know their stuff, often picking up on things that a lot of more professional pundits overlook.

I listen to a lot of podcasts these days, the rugby ones I'd recommend are, in no particular order:

Blood & Mud: My first rugby pod and by far the funniest. Don't look for a lot of deep insight but Lee and Josh love the game and are very very funny. No banter allowed.

Full Contact: My go to for an English view, Moore doesn't hold back and gets a good variety of guests on.

The 42 Heineken Rugby Weekly: Big fan of Murray's analysis, and the lads are a lot more laid back than most professional analysts.

Off The Ball: Not much to say here, good general rundown of Irish rugby.

I occasionally listen to Green & Gold Rugby (for an Aussie perspective), The Left Wing (for interviews mostly), and the Craggy Rugby Pod (for a better Connacht insight, most Irish pods are light on Connacht stuff).

The pods I did not care for include The Rugby Pod, Flats and Shanks, and Eggchasers. I found them either too BANTER, too Anglocentric, or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Molecast from the lads at Demented Mole is by some distance my favourite for Irish rugby. The lads have been writing about rugby for years and know their stuff, often picking up on things that a lot of more professional pundits overlook.

This one is my favourite by far. Far more detailed than the professional pundits who seem to say the same thing every week on Second Captains and OTB

I had no idea Demented Mole had a podcast! This is what I mean. It's difficult to find these and the likes of Off the Ball feature prominently in search results.

I've included links to all podcasts in the OP. I've put in player.fm links where possible. Initially I had SoundCloud where possible but they automatically embedded and it was a mess. I've also included YouTube links to some of them if they have video recordings of the podcast or just good rugby video content. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Dear Molecast, on the off chance you read this thread, for the love of god stop eating into the microphone.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Club scene podcast for coverage of AIL
    Limerick centric a bit but will be when its three Limerick based guys doing it. This weeks along with previews of games had an interview with Johne Murphy
    https://open.spotify.com/show/670TtAzR13vrKUuoTcSR6k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Also, I really recommend subscribing to Blood & Mud’s Patreon account, you get access to special Rugby History episodes (Wales, England, France, and South Africa so far), Rugby Life episodes (they had a great one with Jason Tovey a few weeks ago), and other special episodes, like their review of Shoulder To Shoulder.

(I promise I don’t work for them)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,309 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Sticky this thread, damnit!

Didn't realise Blood and Mud were still going. Thought they stopped years ago. Also didn't realise Eggchasers had one, nor the Mole. The articles are fantastic, must check up on the podcasts.

Really like Green and Gold for the SH side of things, if you can get past the moderate bias.

Club scene podcast for coverage of AIL
    Limerick centric a bit but will be when its three Limerick based guys doing it. This weeks along with previews of games had an interview with Johne Murphy
    https://open.spotify.com/show/670TtAzR13vrKUuoTcSR6k

Thanks, I'll add this to the OP later.

I have yet to hear Cave on anything and not very much enjoyed his commentary. He's terrific on the rugby podcast this week, an absolute natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,669 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Not the greatest interview but Sexton gave allot.
    It’s Dunphys podcast & again I thought Sexton gave more than was been asked of him.
    Particularly insightful take on “it needs a good guy at the top”
    The people not mentioned is the most revealing!
    https://www.thestandwitheamondunphy.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Not the greatest interview but Sexton gave allot.
    It’s Dunphys podcast & again I thought Sexton gave more than was been asked of him.

Who was left out? MOC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Belfast Telegraph do a weekly podcast but it is exclusively focused on Ulster with a small bit on the Ulster club scene as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭damianmcr

bilston wrote: »
    The Belfast Telegraph do a weekly podcast but it is exclusively focused on Ulster with a small bit on the Ulster club scene as well.
    Ive always enjoyed it but havent listened much this season. Flat out on the audiobooks.

clsmooth wrote: »
    Who was left out? MOC?

Surprise, surprise

I'm so ill that I can barely remember my own name at the moment but Sexton wasn't around for the MOC era, was he? The two years he was at Racing for were the two years MOC coached Leinster.

I think. Someone more able can Google it. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,130 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I'm surprised ThreeRedKings wasn't mentioned in the OP

Very good podcast focused on Munster. Does excellent analysis before and after games. For 2 euros a month the patron gives more podcasts and access to video analysis (Tom Savage, the podcaster, works for a French rugby team as a professional video analyst

Peregrine wrote: »
    I'm so ill that I can barely remember my own name at the moment but Sexton wasn't around for the MOC era, was he? The two years he was at Racing for were the two years MOC coached Leinster.

I think. Someone more able can Google it. :P

You’re right Sexton wasn’t there for MOC era.
    He talks about how Leinster had moved away from “the culture” that had brought success
    & that you need the man at the top to drive the culture.

• Not the greatest interview but Sexton gave allot.

I thought it was funny when Sexton cuts across Dunphy while making the point that he's a good listener

• Registered Users Posts: 22,130 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sporting Limerick has a podcast that mainly features GAA but on the weeks Munster play, they have a rugby podcast called 'The breakdown'

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Kevski

Just came across this on Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/13JCY7pxB3ft2DFlzLD5RR?si=X-3oxEllQj2qUrua_wa5cA

“Relax as rugby legend Kieran Read shares bedtime stories that help put your children to bed, so you can watch the rugby in peace” :D

• Advertisement

• Kevski wrote: »
    Just came across this on Spotify - https://open.spotify.com/show/13JCY7pxB3ft2DFlzLD5RR?si=X-3oxEllQj2qUrua_wa5cA

“Relax as rugby legend Kieran Read shares bedtime stories that help put your children to bed, so you can watch the rugby in peace” :D

He throws in his own kiwiisms throughout. Love it

Advertisement