Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You Know It's Christmas When....

• 21-09-2017 11:23am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So when does the Christmas Season start for you?

What is the one thing that as soon as it happens you go, yep now it's Christmas.

For me when I was much younger the First week of Advent was the start of Christmas for me, nowadays November 1st is the start of the Christmas Season.

Everything from Ads, to Christmas Music on the TV stations all seem to start around November first now, it's one of my favorite days of the year now as immediately I'm on the lookout for Christmas stuff popping up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Hmm.. I start to feel Christmassy very early on generally, but I don't consider Christmas for me and herself to have officially started at home, until we get our tree in. After that, it's game on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Agreed, 1st November.

(Because Christmas decorations in amongst the Hallowe'en stuff is just plain .....No!)

But I've got my Book Of Lists and it comes out as early as....well, September!
    So I can smell oncoming Christmas when I start washing cake tins, inspecting biscuit cutters, turning out the baking cupboard and defrosting the freezer. I've bought two rolls of tin foil and three of baking paper. We're on the roll already!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The end of August, when BT opens their Christmas shop.

The minute September kicks in, I'm starting planning, sorting/finishing my shopping and buying Christmas cake ingredients.
    From September 16th, I'm counting down from the 100 days mark and it's all go go go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

For many years the Glade Christmas ad was the first Christmas ad I remember seeing on TV so that always makes me feel like Christmas has really started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

I think I'm a bit odd. Even from a young age ive never been a person to say oh christmas starts on the night of the toy show. That's when things get kicked into high gear :)

I'm definitly the kind of person who listens to christmas all year around lol

But if I had to chose 1st of November :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think it depends on the year to be honest and what you up to. I remember a few years ago I did a lot of Christmasy events from about October other years it might be a bit later.
    Sometimes I find it can feel very Christmasy one week and not Christmasy the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jude13

Stage 1 'Smirky': booking flights, can be early as June.
    Stage 2 'Giddy': September, sepcifcally this week, just because the liveliness of the forum!
    Stage 3 'Scrooge': October, buying presents online and am broke.
    Stage 4 'Annoying Elf': Beginning of November. Asking the wife can we play christmas songs/movies constantly.
    Stage 5 'Stressed Elf': Flying home, realising that we have forgotten pressies, sorting out travel plans around the country.
    Stage 6 'Driving Elf': I find that I am the nicest driver ever at christmas. In a single week I will do Dublin to Limerick a minimum 3 times and still be smiling and waving at drivers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I love the stages, Jude! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

when de Christmas lights on the streets go on I start in da house pitting decorations up and take it down at the 7th of Jan
    Next door they keep everything up until candle mas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,097 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Nov 1st for me, though decorations & suchlike wouldnt appear until about 2 weeks before christmas. Mid november we'll start watching christmas movies & then Dec 1st crimbo music will kick in. But my rule of thumb the last few years is that it isnt christmas time until I've seen the guinness christmas advert on TV.... then all bets are off & away we go!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    But my rule of thumb the last few years is that it isnt christmas time until I've seen the guinness christmas advert on TV.... then all bets are off & away we go!!

You may need to pick a new ad this year! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

When you buy a box of King / Tayto.

Multipack bags are for normal time of the year. Crisps in a box = Christmas.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tzardine wrote: »
    Multipack bags are for normal time of the year. Crisps in a box = Christmas.

This is so true! Even though 3 mulitpacks are often far cheaper than a box of 20, but you got to get the box, sure it's Christmas!! haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

When sausage meat is available in all the supermarkets. Couldn't get it yesterday to make sausage rolls but give it a few weeks and it will be everywhere!

As an aside, we ended up taking the casing off sausages but keeping them in sausage form and they were much easier to work with than sausage meat. I'll make some more and put them in the freezer unbaked. Perfect for post-pub/shopping trip snacks in the run up to Christmas.

I do the same making my stuffing as I use the gluten free sausages for my stuffing. Mother of god I want some now.

Over here you will start to hear adds in November about booking you turkey from a hotel to be delivered of a 'festive brunch'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

When Christmas music is played in the shops, it feels like Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

... Penneys gotta a whole lotta things for Christmas, got a lot for the family. Seriously, when I hear that song.

Not a big fan of shopping so for me it's simply finishing up work (half day) on Christmas Eve. Meeting the parents for a drink or two (no more). Then home to chill. Potter around kitchen, peeling sprouts and stuff in order to have as little to do on Christmas Day as we've to pop in to nursing home to see the granny.

I love St Stephen's Day (is that blasphemy :o?)

When True Movies changes to True Christmas!!! Just today noticed!! Wife is delighted...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

The minute Halloween is over.

I have absolutely zero interest in it, so as soon as it is out of the way it's Christmas alllllllllll the way for me :D

The minute Halloween is over.

I have absolutely zero interest in it, so as soon as it is out of the way it's Christmas alllllllllll the way for me :D

You’ve just become my best friend haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Loughc wrote: »
    You may need to pick a new ad this year! :(

I love everything in the run up to Christmas but the Guinness Ad I just love, I think it's magical
    My late aunt would call me if I was out of the room when it came on the TV and I would run back in ...childlike I suppose, it brings me to tears too I just love it happy Christmas tears though

I agree Halloween does nothing for me I am not interested in it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Loughc wrote: »
    You’ve just become my best friend haha.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Has to be when I see the coke add...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADZIr5HTU_M

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I live in Edinburgh so generally it's when the decorations go up on George Street. Next it's the Xmas Market opening at the end of November. That means bratwurst for a Friday lunch!

When this forum comes alive.

2ezmlaa.jpg

Back after a week away so I will bring those stats up!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When my tree goes up, and I get to finish work for 2 weeks, usually around December 20th. It's only when I decorate my home that I feel Christmassy.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Things that start to make me feel Christmassy:

- when the clocks go back and the evenings are darker
    - when the lights go up in town
    - when I have my first hot chocolate of the season
    - when I start thinking about when to put the tree up

• Advertisement

A random one that popped into my head just now..

I know it’s Christmas when this video starts making the rounds again!

34zcb2v.jpg

Advertisement