Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Goldstone versus Ben Dunne Gym

• 17-10-2018 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I recently finished my membership in Kingfisher. As I no longer need a pool anyway, I am wondering has anyone any thoughts based on actual experience of Goldstone versus Ben Dunne. I know there is a price differential of €5 per month at the minute but want thoughts on the gyms themselves.

I was a member of Goldstone before joining Kingfisher so know what that Gym was like 12 months ago. Not into huge heavy weights so not looking for 50kg dumbbells.

Interested in thoughts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Gyms are a bit of a con arent they? I reckon a lot of people who use them do so because its seen as the right thing to do in terms of leading a healthy lifestyle. Meanwhile walking & running outdoors and swimming in the sea = free! Not too mention all the various sports disciplines out there. Running on a treadmill equates to being a hamster in a cage endlessly chasing after nothing and going nowhere. Unless you want to watch the TV above yer head to beat the monotony. The TV being the chewing gum for the eyes. Sure why not stick a pair of ear plugs in and completely fool yer senses. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gyms are a bit of a con arent they? I reckon a lot of people who use them do so because its seen as the right thing to do in terms of leading a healthy lifestyle. Meanwhile walking & running outdoors and swimming in the sea = free! Not too mention all the various sports disciplines out there. Running on a treadmill equates to being a hamster in a cage endlessly chasing after nothing and going nowhere. Unless you want to watch the TV above yer head to beat the monotony. The TV being the chewing gum for the eyes. Sure why not stick a pair of ear plugs in and completely fool yer senses. :D

its certainly been a con in helping me resolve long term physical issues ive been dealing with, which have prevented me in doing the outdoor activities i enjoy, joining a gym has also been surprisingly, a very social activity

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    its certainly been a con in helping me resolve long term physical issues ive been dealing with, which have prevented me in doing the outdoor activities i enjoy, joining a gym has also been surprisingly, a very social activity

Yeah, not to mention that it's totally safe to go running on your own in the early hours of the morning or late at night. And swimming in the sea? Sure what could go wrong? Only pussies are afraid of tides.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

When I was in the gym I made full use of the machines.................only problem is that they were the vending machines

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Agree kinda, free stuff there to do but the road running gets boring too, did it for good few years and still do occasionally.but the gym is I find good for changing stuff, doing classes, different gym equipment and if you want to run, treadmill there and you are out of potentially crap weather. Another plus about gym is you can laugh at the narcissists admiring themselves in the mirror and posing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭brickysession

I get where you are coming from but I am looking to use the gym alongside my running and cycling. The addition of a strength programme to running prevents injuries and helps build core strength. I don't go in for watching the TV etc in a GYM but its each to their own I say.

Anyway, my original question was does anyone have experience of both Gyms based on actually using both Gyms and what are their thoughts please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

dont forget running on the road will mess up your joints... and going swimming in the sea in winter is not most peoples idea of fun....
    and in gyms... most people arent on threadmills..

I use Ben Dunnes gym, cheap as hell 135 a year.... good gym in great condition.. lots of equipment so never been waiting around.
    gym is clean and people of all fitness levels in there.
    plenty of free weights and machines
    you can also do a month in there for €23 ... its what i did, sign up for a month to make sure i liked it then took the year...

cant speak for goldstone.. never been

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Was a member of goldstone for a year, didn't like the place. Men's changing rooms were always filthy. Machines were never cleaned and loads of broken stuff. Most of the spin bikes were wrecked.

Went to WIT when membership was finished.

Never been to Ben Dunne gym but I would choose it over goldstone for sure, based on what iv heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Anyone ever tried out Jim's Gym?? ;)

Advertisement