Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Rookie - US-Pace- ABC (**Spoilers**)

• 10-05-2018 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭

“We got some new blood this morning. Officer Bishop – you get to ride with the 40-year-old rookie.”
    That rookie is LAPD Officer John Nolan, played by Castle alum Nathan Fillion, in ABC’s upcoming drama series The Rookie

The series, inspired by a true story, focuses on Fillion’s Nolan, the oldest rookie in the LAPD who realizes that starting over isn’t easy as he pursues his dream of being an LAPD officer following a life-altering incident.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,789 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

ABC has lured Nathan Fillion back into a life of crime-solving, tapping the ex-Castle star to headline the cop-themed dramedy The Rookie.
    According to Deadline, The Rookie — which nabbed a straight-to-series order from the network — reunites Fillion with onetime Castle showrunner/EP Alexi Hawley and finds the TV fave playing John Nolan, the oldest rookie in the LAPD. At an age where most are at the peak of their career, Nolan cast aside his comfortable, small town life and moved to L.A. to pursue his dream of being a cop. Now, surrounded by rookies twenty years his junior, Nolan must navigate the dangerous, humorous and unpredictable world of a “young” cop, determined to make his second shot at life count.

Source TV Line

At an age where most are at the peak of their career, John Nolan (Nathan Fillion) casts aside his comfortable, small town life and moves to L.A. to pursue his dream of being a cop. Now, surrounded by rookies twenty years his junior, Nolan must navigate the dangerous, humorous and unpredictable world of a “young” cop, determined to make his second shot at life count.

Nathan Fillion back on tv even if not in Firefly is a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Expected something along the lines of Castle. This appears to be more serious

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Expected something along the lines of Castle. This appears to be more serious

Yes looks to be a mix of Rookie Blue and Southland

• Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Given a start date of Tuesday October 16th.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I love Nathan Fillion the actor but even playing 40 is a push for him these days !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really enjoyed it. I love Nathan Fillion and Melissa O'Neil so had high expectations anyway, but it still managed to surprise me. Really charismatic and well rounded cast, good balance of comedy and drama. The only negative for me was
    the junkie wife
    because it just felt a bit out of place, but otherwise all good.

I enjoyed that a nice mix of humor and action along with a good cast and as always Fillion is so Damm watchable.

• Advertisement

I love Nathan Fillion the actor but even playing 40 is a push for him these days !

Does he wear a wig?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Its ok I guess. A police version of 9-1-1. All well and good in its own right. Bit crowd pleasing.

Southland IMO was one of the best (and underrated) police shows ever done and may have ruined any future ones for me. (and yes I am old enough to have watched Hill St. Blues, NYPD Blue, Homicide:Life on the streets etc).

I go to Chicago P.D. for (mostly) brainless, hero cop stuff. At least Hank is interesting. The rest of them look like they walked out of a hipster gin bar after a model shoot ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I actually really enjoyed it for a pilot episode. It'll be interesting to see if there will be any significant changes in episode two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes looks to be a mix of Rookie Blue and Southland

I watched the first episode this week and was looking for a description and that sums it up perfectly. It wants to be as gritty as Southland but still PC enough as Rookie Blue.

Overall not bad but the ratings in the US suggestion that it might be a one season wonder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Watched it myself, liked castle so as acting goes I find him good.

Seems like a good cast and 1st episode was interesting so I will be continuing to watch.

I really loved Southland and it's a pity it ended so soon.

Third watch was another I found quite good.

It's been given an extra 7 episode back order taking it to a total of 20 episodes for the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I like it so far. Fillion is always very watchable.

Definitely finding its feet - it's all a bit neat and clean when viewing the LAPD (I'd wonder if the LAPD PR department has thrown a few quid in the finance) but it's enjoyable. Surprised they took this long to introduce the landlord/best friend.

PS: I'm almost positive that 'Officer Nolan' accidentally called 'Officer Lucy Chen' "Melissa" once in episode 5 and it made the edit for some reason :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GSRNBP

Yeah, I'm also enjoying it. Makes me miss Castle a lot though, no comparison between the two shows. It's doing quite well in the ratings against New Amsterdam on NBC, so I'd expect to see it renewed. Is it more of a summer show though?

• Advertisement

That was a really really good mid season finale.

Two cliffhangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Harmless, easy viewing, just as Castle was, the supporting characters are all interesting enough too. I felt sure he had won the lottery or something (as the lottery is mentioned odd time during couple of episodes) and was his own landlord. Detective I ain't it seems.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That was a very good ending!

Well they threw everything and the kitchen sink at that episode. What a way to come back after a break.

Cracking entertainment.

Nathan Fillion always seems to get a great cast around him where he doesn't try to take the spotlight of them.

Compare that to someone like David Boreanaz (who I like) whose shows and cast mostly focus on him.

Honestly that was amazing. If someone told me the show moved to Netflix mid-season I wouldn't have been surprised; huge production quality, almost non-stop action, great pacing and very well written storyline in the episode. This should absolutely be renewed or, failing that, picked up at Amazon/Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah that was fantastic. Well acted, well directed, and the best action I've seen on network TV in quite a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It was a great episode, he's well able to keep a lie! Great acting!

Cracking entertainment.

Nathan Fillion always seems to get a great cast around him where he doesn't try to take the spotlight of them.

Compare that to someone like David Boreanaz (who I like) whose shows and cast mostly focus on him.

Hadn't really thought about it that way but you're dead right, and I like Boreanaz too.

Really enjoying this series, hopefully it'll get renewed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Cracking entertainment.

That's not at all fair to DB
    Angel was an ensemble with loads of focus on Wesley ,Cordelia and Gunn .
    Bones was an ensemble cast with the focus on Bones not him
    Seal team he is the star but a good bit of focus has gone on his team with Ray and Clay getting their own stories last year and Sonny getting his story this year .

I could argue that DBs support get far more air time than the two detectives in Castle whose names I cannot even remember .

Advertisement