Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Government's future..... should Halligan stay in ?

• 09-10-2018 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

So the confidence and supply deal has run its course. I wonder what the board's wisdom is on whether it should be renewed... and what our own Minister should ask for to stay in Government....

My own tuppence is that Halligan asked for three things- runway extension, cardiac 24/7 and not forcing a merger of IT Carlow and WIT.... and he has been strung along on all three. It has been an awful Government for Waterford City and the South East, so I would like an election.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Gardner

invara wrote: »
    So the confidence and supply deal has run its course. I wonder what the board's wisdom is on whether it should be renewed... and what our own Minister should ask for to stay in Government....

My own tuppence is that Halligan asked for three things- runway extension, cardiac 24/7 and not forcing a merger of IT Carlow and WIT.... and he has been strung along on all three. It has been an awful Government for Waterford City and the South East, so I would like an election.....

Well the runway extension seems to be on the way. all the news and reports coming out lately seem very positive. hand on heart i'd say it will happen.

24/7. he denounced the Herity report from the off and probably could have done the easy thing and walk away from government but where would have that got us? 1 government TD who we haven't heard a thing from in years! there has been progress recently so it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

"not forcing a merger of IT Carlow and WIT"? do we really want a merger? there has been record investment in R&D in WIT over the past 3 years along with other areas of infrastructure. why cant we go alone in all this? i certainly wouldn't welcome a merger. where has Halligan being to the forefront in forcing it?

do we want a new government? No! not with Brexit down the road.
    we need stability and that's what we have got at this moment in time. If we did have an Election no doubt it would be more than likely be another supply and confidence agreement. SF have been very poor in opposition again this term. Mary Lou has been a disappointment. she is picked off too easily in debates.

what do we want going forward? first 2 items above being delivered. Funding for North Quays and any other additional tranches of money to get it across the line., Funding for further Infrastructure connecting Waterford to other regions (Cork and Limerick Roads badly need upgrading) extension of Waterford Port and investment in IDA. the list is endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Election in the new year hopefully!

Voting for an independent is a waste of time, they are dragged down by the wild cards, Wallace, Mattie and the Reas.

Fianna Fail will say anything for votes and piss all over the promises. Butler proved that.

Fine gael will without doubt get into power again. If we dont have a fine geal member from waterford we are in trouble. In my opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

What difference does it make whose nose goes in the trough really? Parties aside, Mary Butler and the invisible man John Deasy have been disastrous and Coffey and Conway before them a disgrace too. If we dont get 2 or maybe 3 city TDs elected regardless of party we'll be lost altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

engiweirdo wrote: »
    What difference does it make whose nose goes in the trough really? Parties aside, Mary Butler and the invisible man John Deasy have been disastrous and Coffey and Conway before them a disgrace too. If we dont get 2 or maybe 3 city TDs elected regardless of party we'll be lost altogether.

i actually somewhat agree with this, our political institutions are stuck, unable to move forward in resolving our most critical issues

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

Election in the new year hopefully!

Voting for an independent is a waste of time, they are dragged down by the wild cards, Wallace, Mattie and the Reas.

Fianna Fail will say anything for votes and piss all over the promises. Butler proved that.

Fine gael will without doubt get into power again. If we dont have a fine geal member from waterford we are in trouble. In my opinion!

I think Wallace, along with C.Daly, is one of the best TDs in the country. He has used his position to challange and highlight key problems in the country such as Garda corruption and the Nama mismanagent. I would love to have the opportunity to vote for such a person in Waterford.
    As for needing a FG TD, it reminds of what used to happen in Singapore in the not too distang past, the country is basically a one-party state, and any constituncy that didn't elect a governent member was denied funding/development etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It'll come to a point where FG will eventually get sick of the independant alliance and call a general election.

Some of the proposals they come up with are bizarre, some of their behaviour in the media have been embarassing and essentially they don't really have the discipline or nous to be in Government. Also, when you're in Government you need to make hard decisions, and frankly it's easier to criticise and agitate from the outside.

The chances are we'll have 'New Politics' again for the next Government, whether that means a FG or FF minority or not. I'd expect someone like Labour, Social Democrats or even the Greens to get involved again to make up the numbers.

It's also worth noting that the Government continue to lose votes in the Dail. They lost 13 on one day in Feb last year, and they lost another yesterday, so there has never been more opportunity for backbench TDs or TDs in opposition to get legislation through.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

invara wrote: »

My own tuppence is that Halligan asked for three things- runway extension, cardiac 24/7 and not forcing a merger of IT Carlow and WIT....  and he has been strung along on all three. It has been an awful Government for Waterford City and the South East, so I would like an election.....
    Halligan is a joke. He does Waterford more harm then good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I have seriously lost respect for John since he joined the Independents (who are anything but independent) and thinking he can sort out issues in North Korea when he can't even get firm commitments on the issues he stood for in the beginning.

Lets see what choices we have this time out, bring on an election.....

Lets see what choices we have this time out, bring on an election.....

Ah it's looking like another confidence and supply for another while, tweedle dee and tweedle dum are not ready to give up their regin yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

wagtail99 wrote: »
    I think Wallace, along with C.Daly, is one of the best TDs in the country. He has used his position to challange and highlight key problems in the country such as Garda corruption and the Nama mismanagent. I would love to have the opportunity to vote for such a person in Waterford.
    As for needing a FG TD, it reminds of what used to happen in Singapore in the not too distang past, the country is basically a one-party state, and any constituncy that didn't elect a governent member was denied funding/development etc.

Fine Gael was democratically elected by the the people. The people chose Fine Gael to represent them. Making analogies to single party states are incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

Fine Gael was democratically elected by the the people. The people chose Fine Gael to represent them. Making analogies to single party states are incorrect.

My comment was in reply to another poster who said... "Fine gael will without doubt get into power again. If we dont have a fine geal member from waterford we are in trouble. In my opinion!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

That's a fairly large inaccuracy too. Circa 30% of those arsed enough to vote chose Fine Gael to represent them. Hence the propping up by the other shower of sleazy cretins and an assortment of parish pump enthusiasts. It was perhaps the worst possible outcome, enabled of course by our national love affair with pork barrel politics.

engiweirdo wrote:
    That's a fairly large inaccuracy too. Circa 30% of those arsed enough to vote chose Fine Gael to represent them. Hence the propping up by the other shower of sleazy cretins and an assortment of parish pump enthusiasts. It was perhaps the worst possible outcome, enabled of course by our national love affair with pork barrel politics.

To be fair, who else is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

wagtail99 wrote: »

Agree about Daly and Wallace. I didn't want either but they've been great TDs.

If we were run like Singapore, we'd be in a better place. Their system allows the government to plan beyond the next election. Not sure we have anyone in our political system or country with the vision and conviction of Lee Kuan Yew though and, even if we did, he'd never get in to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Agree about Daly and Wallace. I didn't want either but they've been great TDs.

If we were run like Singapore, we'd be in a better place. Their system allows the government to plan beyond the next election. Not sure we have anyone in our political system or country with the vision and conviction of Lee Kuan Yew though and, even if we did, he'd never get in to power.

If we were run like Singapore, Wallace would be in jail for his tax antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

If we were run like Singapore, Wallace would be in jail for his tax antics.

Haha that’s a very fair point.

Advertisement