Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Christmas Debate - #6 Tree Topper

• 15-10-2018 9:39am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So here we are again, another Monday another debate. Coming off a cold Monday morning lets think ahead to our wonderful Christmas Trees.

What sits on top of your tree?

An Angel? A Star? Or something else entirely?

If you do select the Other Option please comment and let us know what the other option is :)

Poll will close 9.30am next Monday and results will be revealed then.

What sits on top of your Christmas Tree? 53 votes

Angel
    0%
    Star
    35%
    seamusLord Spenceronan.hhoneybearPlanemowitchgirl26Cork LassjellybearJamesTCdonegal_manBobbyPropanesecondrowgalweetiepiefreshpopcornCarrie6ODBret HartCork2015!HairyCabbageAnastasia_ 19 votes
    Other
    64%
    ScarinaeZaphmhairesabig sykeBagglywashiskinpaulosPosyDvBDavyD_83Toto Wolfcastlekitten_kWhisperedwhat the hell!TootshognefbeertonstoutsSundewskywayavenue 34 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Other
    I went with star. Growing up the family tree always had an angel on top but we’re using a star now for our own tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

we're big vintage lovers, so i chose 'other', and we have a vintage style blown glass topper that we brought home about 5 years ago from Germany Christmas markets.

Our one is very like this one:

finial-tree-topper-vintage-glass-with-indents-western-gold.jpg

I like it because we have loads of vintage style decorations on our tree, and because we're not really religious in any way it suits better than an angel or star would, for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Other
    We have a star on ours

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Other
    Stars for me.

Just generally look a little better. Especially a nice one.

A nice star > a nice angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Snoddy

a wonder woman egg shaped soft toy wearing a Santa hat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Other
    Star. I'm not a fan of the angels. Although as kids, we had a red spire that we affectionately called "The Spike" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

We alternate! Sometimes a big silver wire star. With a cone shaped "foot" to go over the actual tree-top-spike

There's a similar angel that I sometimes use: but it looks uncomfortable. As who wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Other
    Always a star for us growing up.
    Funnily enough never bothered with anything on our own christmas trees, now this year though we'll have the 2 star tree toppers we just bought out in the range at Liffey Valley.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Other
    I went with star. I've a lovely Newbridge Star that my son always puts on the top of the tree (while sitting on my husband's shoulders) It'll be interesting to see what happens in years to come when the newbie gets bigger.

We had the typical 80s angel/fairy tinsel covered yoke when I was growing up, but it has been replaced by a star in the last 10 years because the angel/fairy's face paint has faded to the point that it's now utterly terrifying looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,148 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Star
    We used have an angel for years and then decided a star would be nice. We had a silver one and a red one but switched back to angels.
    So, I'll be against the grain again with saying angel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Star
    Have always had angels on the tree growing up and I have a lovely one I got for mine when I first moved out. She was in the poundshop but so sweet. Unfortunately after 6 years she's not in the best condition so may have to look for a new one now. :( Will still get another angel though. Never found a star I liked as much.

Star
    Have always had angels on the tree growing up and I have a lovely one I got for mine when I first moved out. She was in the poundshop but so sweet. Unfortunately after 6 years she's not in the best condition so may have to look for a new one now. :( Will still get another angel though. Never found a star I liked as much.

If you have a picture I'll tell you if I see anything similar around!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Star
    Well, I was torn as I have a star on mine. However, my childhood memory of the poor angel whose head popped off when you placed her on the top of the tree is just too importamt to forget.
    Angel it is :D

Star
    If you have a picture I'll tell you if I see anything similar around!

I've just looked and all the pictures I have are fuzzy. I'll take you up on that and when I get back from a work trip will post one up. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Other
    We always had an angel growing up, but it suffered an unfortunate accident with the fire and that was the end of that.

Technically we have a star but it doesn't fit on the tree so I put it on the fireplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Other
    We always had an angel growing up, but it suffered an unfortunate accident with the fire and that was the end of that.

Technically we have a star but it doesn't fit on the tree so I put it on the fireplace.

Lol read that as 'in the fireplace' and was gonna say i can see a trend emerging for future tree toppers in your house....:D

Other
    We have a star. We're not religious and a star is ambiguous, whereas an angel is not.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Other
    29 votes cast already and only 5 votes separates it. Going to be another close one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Other
    I have a gold star! My Mother also had a star. I did try an angel but the one I had never sat correctly on the tree. Have other angel ornaments so feel the star belongs at the top of the tree :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Other
    No sure what we had growing up. I know we had an angel but it was too small to be put on top so it hung on the tree. No idea what went on top. Considering this was full retro time so there were balloons, loads of tinsel and army men in the crib (all boy house) it could have been anything.

We have a star on the top of our tree. Its massive and very ugly, not symmetrical at all. It's made from a corn flake box and tin foil. My wife teaches young kids, I'm going to say 4-6 by the standard of it and it was made the first year we were together. It gets the odd upgrade with new tinfoil now and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

It was always an angel in our house. Towards the end, as we all grew up, her poor head was off to one side, like a drunken sailor.....
    She had lovely pink feathers for her dress. Got a present of an angel for our first Christmas, who is now fairly unuseable, Have a pic
    every year, of our now teenager putting her on the top with my other half. Going to get something new this year, and let the
    teenager pick, and start a new memory bank for her/us. Reading through all the various Christmas threads, it is amazing the
    things that stay in your mind, and paint the memories of Christmas for evermore. It.l be interesting what the teenager decides on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Star
    Angel for me. I have a silver coloured one I got as a present years ago and has moved with me to every place I've lived over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Angel here too . She now looks very dilapidated though , have had her since the children were babies :)

Star
    We used always say the Angel was drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,405 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Other
    Always had a star, but an angel sounds lovely. Do their gowns glow? The star topper I chose (years ago) was filigree, thinking light would shine through (it doesn't... unless I poke some fairy lights around the star, but that looks a bit silly and unkempt.)

Star
    Deja Boo wrote: »
    Always had a star, but an angel sounds lovely. Do their gowns glow? The star topper I chose (years ago) was filigree, thinking light would shine through (it doesn't... unless I poke some fairy lights around the star, but that looks a bit silly and unkempt.)

On mine the gown is made of a see-through material but it doesn't glow by itself. I have always angled up at least one fairy light towards the top & it lights her up lovely though. Doesn't look unkempt but that's taken a few years practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

we're big vintage lovers, so i chose 'other', and we have a vintage style blown glass topper that we brought home about 5 years ago from Germany Christmas markets.

Our one is very like this one:

finial-tree-topper-vintage-glass-with-indents-western-gold.jpg

I like it because we have loads of vintage style decorations on our tree, and because we're not really religious in any way it suits better than an angel or star would, for us.

We have one of these too!

The first one came from a shop here in Ireland when the revival of glass/wood ornaments started up, so, maybe 10-15 years ago? It got mysteriously smashed, so we got another one in a TK Maxx - it's really glitzy and golden, and you can fit one of the tree lights up inside it to make it really sparkly. They are also great for covering up when your tree has a bockety top :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

We used to have a star when I was a kid but now that I do the decorating its a picture of my dog :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Other
    Star.

• Advertisement

Other
    cinnamony wrote: »
    We used to have a star when I was a kid but now that I do the decorating its a picture of my dog :pac:

Ooooh I love this idea! :D I wanna do that!

Advertisement