Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Donut shops, EVERYWHERE!

15678911»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Isn't there a Crispy Creme somewhere in town also ? or was Blanch the first one ?
    Blanch is the first one

• Registered Users Posts: 26,141 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Offbeat I really like but probably because I'm not really a doughnut fan.

The actual bread is completely ancillary, all. About the rich toppings.

I had a krispy Kreme glaze recently. And the actual bread definitely tasted nicer.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

noodler wrote: »
    Offbeat I really like but probably because I'm not really a doughnut fan.

The actual bread is completely ancillary, all. About the rich toppings.

I had a krispy Kreme glaze recently. And the actual bread definitely tasted nicer.

Dough!!!

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

sugarman wrote: »
    Just another trend, first it was Burritos... then Burgers ...now Donuts

Still waiting for Taco Bell to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Still waiting for Taco Bell to come here.

Well they do win the franchise wars so one day all restaurants will be Taco Bell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭GaGa21

Just seen a new one setting up in Heuston station. Think it's Offbeat. Train journeys going to be a bit more interesting now....for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Old thread but as this is related to it...

So Dunnes Stores have Oreo donuts for €1 (or thereabouts), while bakery charge €2.50 (or thereabouts).

Would the bakery ones be nicer or is it just smaller profit margin for Dunnes & economies of scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Gimme Lidl's jam donuts with the powdered sugar any day - they actually remind me of the Superquinn ones from my youth. They don't need to be fancy, just do them right!

Oreos are the worst biscuit in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Because we have enough coffee shops and cafes on every street, fast food joints, so donuts is the next retail opportunity. There's plenty of empty shop units where small shops have closed since covid started

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wouldn’t bother me if I never had a doughnut for the remainder of my existence.... I feel they are overrated I’m not a big fan of their texture... that overly icky sticky sugary glaze and texture hmmm...you are still tasting them about an hour later.

my local bakery makes savage chocolate muffins, huge and filled with a kind of gooey chocolate sauce filling....four for 8.50...mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Coffee horseboxes EVERYWHERE.

Have a coffee created in a wheeled conveyance that a horse once sprayed with its faeces and urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's a Polish bakery in a far corner of an industrial estate in Galway. Their donuts are fatastic.

The rest, I totally agree with Strumms. Total waste of calories.

Donuts are the devil's work, but I could tolerate all the donut places in the world if they just sold kolaches too. Proper savoury kolaches, with minimal sweetness in the pastry and quality sausage and jalapeno and cheese options for when you're feeling a bit freaky. They originate in the Czech Republic, I believe, but were perfected by 7-Eleven Inc. #KolachesforIreland

Advertisement