Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pet Sematary (remake)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

This looks like it could be good. King always said that, to him, this was his scariest book. Its a pretty dark concept

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The beats look similar to the older movie but wrapped up in a modern look.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Read a lot of his books as a young teenager and like when the first trailer of IT was shown it made me want to read the book again. Which i did and which im going to do with this.

Unfortunately IT fell way short of a good adaptation for me and while it may be a decent horror film on its own, it really fails to capture the tone of the book, which if you haven't read it, is nothing short of a modern masterpiece.

I dont remember the pet cemetery book at all so i dont know if King created such a large and involved world as he did with IT.
    A world that would be difficult to recreate and keep the fans happy i suppose but hopefully they wont make large and nonsensical changes to the story with this one.

Pet Semetary scared the ****e out of me as a teen when I read it. I’d agree with King on his ‘scariest book’ statement!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭nc6000

We have six months to read the book. Thankfully it's not one of the really long ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Delighted to see this! Just re-read the book last year, forgot how creepy it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Pet Semetary is one of my all-time favourite novels. Was about 13 or 14 when I first read it and it scared the absolute s**t out of me. I enjoyed the original movie for what it was, but lets be honest it was never intended to be a cinematic classic and its aged horribly, so pretty excited to see it given a big budget for this one, plus John Lithgow (I'm already heavily invested on that casting alone).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Totally disagree with its aged horribly. Jason Clarke is a horrific actor, wooden as it gets. Fred Gwynne was fantastic in the original. Cage Creed running around with the scalpel. Featured The Ramones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

Looks interesting. The drum sounds give me a feel of "Hereditary" off it and that font is very "Stranger Things". Here's hoping it's as good as either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This looks like it could be good. King always said that, to him, this was his scariest book. Its a pretty dark concept

I'd be inclined to agree with him. I've re-read it several times over the years and it never gets less scary, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Read as much if Stephen King books S I could when I was younger. Pet Cemetery and Salem's Lots scared the crap out of me as a teenager. As scary as PC is I'd love to see a close to the book remake of Salem's lot as possible, David Souls Salem's Lot was ok but I think it could have been done better .
    PC has resonated more with me the older I get as the loss of a child is the scariest thing I can imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Um...don't know what to feel about this.

Sometimes dead is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Hope they do a good job on this, Pet Semetary is easily one of King's best books and has an actual ending unlike a lot of his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭QuintusFabius

Wow, this looks good.
    Great book too, might give it a re read.
    And John Lithgow looks like a good casting choice for the old neighbour(can't remember his name)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

And John Lithgow looks like a good casting choice for the old neighbour(can't remember his name)

Jud Crandall.

And it's going to be hard to be Herman Munster in the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wezzopalooza

Looking forward to this, will sort out my King fix until IT Chapter 2 later next year :)
    Though the trailer didn't focus on it, the Zelda character will be featured in this one too, still probably the most memorable aspect of the '89 version. Watched it again recently, along with the excellent documentary on it, "Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary".
    The '89 film still holds up well enough, though the daughter's acting is awful to the point of distraction, it looks like that's been rectified this time around anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Was the first SK book I read as a teenager and it fairly rattled me. Such a dark dark premise and a harrowing look at grief. I've now read pretty much all his work (gave up on the Dark Tower about halfway through the last book). He was at his finest at Salems lot, Carrie, Christine etc. The Bachman books were terrific.

His private life was crazy, sitting at a typewriter with cotton buds stuffed up his nose to stop the blood from all the cocaine he was taking dripping on the keys. He doesn't remember writing a bunch of stuff.

Pet Sematary (2018) if done well could be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

I remember seeing the movie as a kid which caused nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,928 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

second trailer , few more spoilers than the first. Could be good thou !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

As i mentioned earlier such a grim premise. The book was one of Kings finest in terms of scary. I read it as a young teen and was terrified. The joys of having a mother working in a bookshop at the time who had no idea what she was bring home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

2smiggy wrote: »

second trailer , few more spoilers than the first. Could be good thou !

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I used to be in touch with the director online in the early noughties through a site he used to run. When I saw that he was directing this I was gobsmacked. I hope it turns out to be a really good movie and does well at the box office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The shorter books of King make the best movies. IT is too long for a movie. Misery was a great book and a great movie. Pet Cemetery is another potential movie classic if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I saw this last night. It was rubbish, and it had the audience unintentionally in stitches at quite a few parts, particularly towards the end. I hadn't seen the original, and I didn't know the story so I was pretty much going in blind as to the plot. A remake or re-adaptation such as this should try clear the deck of the usual cliches and horror tropes that you would associate with this kind of film in the past, but it's full of them. There are no surprises to be had, the only jumps are from the usual loud noise, but really the only time this happened
    was with a truck speeding by within the opening minutes.
    And once something like that happens it's like a loud alarm, screaming at you
    that a truck is going to knock someone down at some point.

Don't start me on how bad the CG was in it either.

I should have finally gone to see US instead of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I'm going to see it on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

branie2 wrote: »
    I'm going to see it on Friday

As am I. Reviews have been mostly very good tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 BigPoppaDump

correction wrote: »
    As am I. Reviews have been mostly very good tbf.

In the overwhelming majority of other groups and forums I frequent, people have nothing good to say about it.

I'm only going off critics. It's got an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes and a 70 Metacritic score. Very good for a horror tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Critics thought Us was fantastic, and I thought it was underwhelming and overrated.

Still looking forward to this though. :o

• Advertisement

Although I did like Us it was definitely a critic friendly movie with how it was directed. I wouldn't have thought a Pet Sematary remake would have fallen under that bracket but I haven't seen it yet so who knows.

Advertisement