Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History of county council control

• 13-10-2018 9:13am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've seen a lot of comments recently attempting to give culpability for certain political policies to county councils and the political parties that control them or have controlled them in the past.

As a fact checking exercise would anyone be able to reference a website that gives the history of control of different county council areas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wikipedia is probably your best bet but unfortunately all the info is spread between the different 30 odd council pages so might take some time to collate, also due to the mergers of several of them in 2014 things can get a bit confusing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Due to a lack of a structured cabinet like UK councils, 'control' can swing repeatedly during a single term as independents change their minds or party alliances fall apart.

Most stuff ends up being vote by vote except for the Mayoral deal that's usually knocked together at the start

Elections Ireland have partial info going back years on makeup but often it's impossible to tell what the actual 'control' is. Alliances that do not happen in the Dail occur and the same set of councillors could form multiple blocs over the term. FF/FG and anyone/SF are not uncommon

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

All the above. Plus, voting discipline is a lot stronger in Dail Eireann than it is on local government bodies. "A majority of councillors from X party" does not really translate into effective control by X party in the same was as it does in Dail Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can see the agendas and minutes of the monthly council meetings and committee meetings on council websites. Any specific decision will have the details of the vote recorded, although a fair amount of business is passed without a formal vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's the epitome of parish pump politics. But they are 'local' after all. I know that the gaps between parties are a lot thinner with Councillors. Many of them would be from neigbouring areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,038 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's the epitome of parish pump politics. But they are 'local' after all. I know that the gaps between parties are a lot thinner with Councillors. Many of them would be from neigbouring areas.

I first read this as "the gaps between ears are a lot thinner with Councillors" and thought it was a fair point.

Advertisement