Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Nothing aggravates me more than seeing a bunch of Yanks call the Mega Drive by that other name.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,360 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Nothing aggravates me more than seeing a bunch of Yanks call the Mega Drive by that other name.

There is one thing that annoys me more, hearing non yanks using it :mad:

o1s1n wrote: »
    There is one thing that annoys me more, hearing non yanks using it :mad:
    Yes, YES! Especially when it's Modern Retro Gamer or Jim Sterling. YOU WERE BORN IN PAL TERRITORY, DON'T ESCAPE FROM IT!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Other name you say...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

That would be fun to play for about 3 mins and then your wrists will be sore and you'll turn it off

I see it does have USB and HDMI so could work as a "console" for playing on a TV with a USB controller. But if that's what you want there are way cheaper options

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Have any of the Pandora's boxes ever been good? Did some research into them when I was considering buying the two-player controller set-up but not many people have good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Hello Kitty Dreamcast I have is modded to play PAL games, is it possible to change it back to NTSC?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

what colour logo do you get at boot? If it's red than it's ntsc and ntsc games should still play at 60hz.
    Someone may have just put the 4 wire region bypass mod in or flashed the region free bios.

what colour logo do you get at boot? If it's red than it's ntsc and ntsc games should still play at 60hz.
    Someone may have just put the 4 wire region bypass mod in or flashed the region free bios.

It's blue. I'm not familiar with mods for the Dreamcast though so I'm curious to know if it can be reversed and if it's easy to do or maybe if someone on here could help me out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

blue is pal and is set in the bios. You could open it up and see if they "socketed" the bios to allow easy swap out. If so then purchase a universal bios off someone in assemblergames and pop it in.

It actually doesn't really matter if you are running a pal bios as the 50/60hz code is in the game disk code. Once you can boot your ntsc games (with action replay etc) they will be in 60hz.

Master of the Universe

There was a zero feedback Irish seller selling quite a few Game and Watches. Thought I might be in for an amazing bargain - nope, sold for almost 350!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-game-and-watches/352478702081?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

RAGE have free controllers, presume they're broken. Would like a light gun use for cosplay prop if anyone can pick me up one?

Getting some shelves put up soon so hopefully can have some boxes on display. Gonna try take a break from getting any consoles and bigger items until after Christmas. Although I wouldn't have got the bargain Hello Kitty Dreamcast if I wasn't just browsing...

Paprium launch party in France 27th October. Game is also set to ship then but not confirmed yet

TN6yKFXl.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Will be nice if they get it out. Nicer if it's good. It does look solid.

They got a lot of **** lately. Glad to see light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I actually can't believe it's getting a release, finally. I really hope it's good

Master of the Universe

Yeah I find that hard to believe myself, thought it was just going to turn into vapour wear and a couple of Watermelon employees moving to the Cayman Islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I would have guess Paprium would take them 5 or 6 years to develop at least. Trying to do SOR2 level graphics would be incredibly time consuming they'd have had a ton of people working on that back in the day.

So, having acquired my Dreamcast as of yesterday, is there any place in this country where I can get it modded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So, having acquired my Dreamcast as of yesterday, is there any place in this country where I can get it modded?

Modded for what exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

New Kickstarter called "Retro Gaming The Movie" - might be of interest to some. Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

I'd say don't bother, & get one of those GDEMU thingys.

Edit - actually, are those things multiregion??

I've been looking into GDEMU myself recently. From what I gather the guy who came up with it decided to limit production, make ordering awkward and got stroppy when people started cloning it for a lot less.

If they were closer to €50 I'd consider it as a 64GB SD card is only €10. I watched a video John Riggs posted a while ago and he was having issues with the games and software crashing but then it seemed to work fine after a while.

I've also heard the PSUs get hot because there's less load without the GD-ROM going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've been looking into GDEMU myself recently. From what I gather the guy who came up with it decided to limit production, make ordering awkward and got stroppy when people started cloning it for a lot less.

If they were closer to €50 I'd consider it as a 64GB SD card is only €10. I watched a video John Riggs posted a while ago and he was having issues with the games and software crashing but then it seemed to work fine after a while.

I've also heard the PSUs get hot because there's less load without the GD-ROM going.

There's GDEMU clones available now, for more attractive pricing I believe. The PSU overheating was as a result of incorrect airflow iirc, as a result of the missing drive. Fairly sure I've seen 3D printed parts that resolve the airflow issue.

MrVestek wrote: »
    Modded for what exactly?
    Region free support, force all games to support VGA output, you know, something akin to this.

https://japanese-cake.livejournal.com/10056.html

Is anyone expecting stuff from Japan from September onwards? I'm expecting two parcels, one sent the first week or so and another send the 3rd week or so. No sign of either. One of the sellers messaged me two weeks ago to say some of the parcels are showing up and there was a big delay due to a tsunami or an earthquake.

They're small parcels and not packets though so also possibly stuck in customs while they figure out what BS charge to put on it...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,774 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Steve bailey said tsunami is holding stuff up.

On the Japan Post website there, on top of typhoon Jebi at the beginning of September there was also typhoon Trami, typhoon Kong-Rey and an earthquake in Hokkaido towards the end of September/beginning of October.

Jaysis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

I had one item that was ordered on the 28th Aug & only came the middle of last week and another (that according to ebay's tracking was delivered the day after it was sent!) that hasn't came yet. Normally I'd be jumping up and down, but with the ongoing delay, figure it's stuck in a container with 1000's of other parcels. I'd say it's setting up for a game of poker with your 2 parcels

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement