Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Great Christmas Debate - #5 Santa Presents Wrapped or Unwrapped

• 08-10-2018 8:49am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So here we go again it's week 5 of our great debate series. Mid-October is creeping up on us, the dark mornings are rolling in and the weather is getting more wintry each day.

This weeks big debate question is Santa Presents wrapped or unwrapped?

The debate that we didn't think we wanted but we need... did Santy wrap your Christmas Presents?

Were your Santa Presents 44 votes

Wrapped
    0%
    Unwrapped
    100%
    biZrbmhairesaomb0wyn5ehpij9ScraggsEnrightdinjo99sillysocksLord SpenceSnoddyShanotheslayerSpook_ie0ph0rce0toutsemmaginationc montgomerytraceystaceygalwaynativeSCOOP 64van_beanoBillgirlylegs 44 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unwrapped. Always unwrapped.

Ain't nobody got time for that :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It was unwrapped for me as a child too. I remember we each got designated sofa cushion and all of your presents were left on the sofa cushion for you in the morning.

I didn't think this was a thing until a few posters mentioned theirs were wrapped.

Yeah, we were the same, nicely laid out in a place in the room for each of us.

I wasn't aware this was a thing until my daughter came home from school and heard that some of her classmates' presents were wrapped. I don't remember how we fudged it, but we did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Unwrapped
    Wrapped. Always wrapped. Everything was wrapped! Unwrapping everything always added to the excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I think mine were unwrapped as a kid. We used to get one big present and then a full stocking. So as a kid that one big present was a bike/tractor etc so not sure they could wrap them.

I wrap my daughters and its a pain in the back side. My OH pointed out that she would notice that Santa had the same wrapping paper as we had to I had to unwrap them and re-wrap on Christmas eve, using allot of stealth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Ours was always unwrapped and anything that needed to be put together was already put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

kitten_k wrote: »
    Ours was always unwrapped and anything that needed to be put together was already put together.

The sign of a clever parent!

Ours were always unwrapped (and still are) and arranged on a couch cushion like Loughc. My sister wraps her kids' Santa presents now but she's wrong. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Ours were always unwrapped. Just left in separate piles in the sitting room. You saw exactly what you had got when you looked in the door!!

The sign of a clever parent!
    Ours were always left unassembled - putting it together was half the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Ours were definitely unwrapped. Gifts from anyone other than santa were wrapped, but not the ones from the big man.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Ours were always left unassembled - putting it together was half the fun!

I think it depends on the age of the kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Unwrapped! Left in different piles in the sitting room & sometimes, we wrote our names out on pieces of paper to leave on our piles.

Now that we have kids, they are still unwrapped. I couldn't deal with the pressure of wrapping Santy presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Unwrapped
    Yer all bonkers!! Santa wraps presents, ye lazy lumps!! The joy of unwrapping is something to behold!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Unwrapped
    Before this site I never heard of Santa gifts being unwrapped.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Before this site I never heard of Santa gifts being unwrapped.

I always thought unwrapped Christmas presents was the 80's Irish Christmas way of doing things...

Unwrapped
    Loughc wrote: »
    I always thought unwrapped Christmas presents was the 80's Irish Christmas way of doing things...

I was boring the nineties. Siblings were born in the 1980's.
    Any photographs of previous Christmases or other people's families Christmas Santa stuff was always wrapped.
    I was honestly amazed it was even a thing. I always thought part of Christmas morning was sitting down opening stuff under the tree not just walking into the living room and seeing a pile of stuff.

I was boring the nineties. Siblings were born in the 1980's.
    Any photographs of previous Christmases or other people's families Christmas Santa stuff was always wrapped.
    I was honestly amazed it was even a thing. I always thought part of Christmas morning was sitting down opening stuff under the tree not just walking into the living room and seeing a pile of stuff.

Not just you that thinks that. This is the closest poll yet just two votes separating things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Definitely unwrapped!! The excitement of opening the door of the sitting room and seeing all the presents...what seemed like so many, your eyes couldn't focus!! I would have hated if they had been wrapped...would have taken the fun out of it for me.

Unwrapped
    jellybear wrote: »
    Definitely unwrapped!! The excitement of opening the door of the sitting room and seeing all the presents...what seemed like so many, your eyes couldn't focus!! I would have hated if they had been wrapped...would have taken the fun out of it for me.

The excitement of the unwrapping and not knowing what was under the paper in my experience was better and you still say your big pile of presents!

With unwrapped Santa presents and wrapped presents from other people you get the best of both worlds.

• Advertisement

Not just you that thinks that. This is the closest poll yet just two votes separating things.

I just realised I didn't actually vote. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Unwrapped
    With unwrapped Santa presents and wrapped presents from other people you get the best of both worlds.

But one world is rubbish and in the other world they wrap their prezzies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

The excitement of the unwrapping and not knowing what was under the paper in my experience was better and you still say your big pile of presents!

No way- too much work and time taken to open them :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Oooh this is a slightly irritating question because the tense is important! Our presents weren't wrapped so I've chosen unwrapped. However I was always a little jealous of those that did get them wrapped so I wrap them for my own children!

Oooh this is a slightly irritating question because the tense is important! Our presents weren't wrapped so I've chosen unwrapped. However I was always a little jealous of those that did get them wrapped so I wrap them for my own children!

Pick the option you think is the way it should be :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I genuinely cannot remember.
    I will have to ask my parents. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Pick the option you think is the way it should be :)

Too late 😂. They weren’t wrapped for me so went with that. I will be wrapping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Unwrapped
    wrapped not even a question for me to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭SteJer

Unwrapped
    Definitely wrapped. Part of the magic is watching the kids open their presents one by one and seeing their excited faces when they realise what they got. I think if the presents were left in a pile unwrapped kids wouldn’t appreciate everything individually as all the presents would be on show at the one time. Christmas morning only happens once a year and Santa visits don’t last for too many years. Having to unwrap the presents prolongs the morning more unlike seeing all their Santa presents the minute they walk in to the room.

• Advertisement

31 votes with a 65/35% split.

So funny how traditions can slightly change from place to place.

Advertisement