Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kilkenny or Wexford - A better place to live?

Options
  • 06-10-2018 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

We are a married couple within a son aged 3 and another baby due next year.

We are looking to relocate from Dublin due to the cost of houses and childcare and looking at Kilkenny or Wexford as options. I work remote from home but the wife will be looking to work in accountant and finance.

Has anyone experience of relocating to either of these counties with good or bad experiences?

Would prefer a rural parish/village community location about 10-15 minutes drive from either main town/city.

Decent schools, shops, sports, friendly locals etc would be a good start.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

conor05 wrote: »
    Hi folks

We are a married couple within a son aged 3 and another baby due next year.

We are looking to relocate from Dublin due to the cost of houses and childcare and looking at Kilkenny or Wexford as options. I work remote from home but the wife will be looking to work in accountant and finance.

Has anyone experience of relocating to either of these counties with good or bad experiences?

Would prefer a rural parish/village community location about 10-15 minutes drive from either main town/city.

Decent schools, shops, sports, friendly locals etc would be a good start.

Thanks in advance

Wexford has the obvious advantage of being near the sea and wonderful beaches and coast. Also housing is quite a bit cheaper in places.
    Location wise similar from Dublin the train is probably better/quicker from Kilkenny. The M11 wouldn't be as busy though as the M9/7 which can be a nightmare in and out of Dublin.
    Also more jobs I'd think in KK in finance as there's quite a few firms located there.
    Easier get to other big towns in Kildare, Portlaoise, Carlow or Waterford which would open up more job potential too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Lived in Kilkenny for a bit. Really like the place. Thomastown is a lively town about 15 mins from the city, good lively place with pubs, cafes, schools etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Both not great places to live. Lots of anti social behavior in both towns.
    Carlow is a way better place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pajosjunkbox

Yeah I agree. Carlow is the place to be with Athy a close second. Not much to do in either so at least you will save money 😎

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Lived in Kilkenny for a bit. Really like the place. Thomastown is a lively town about 15 mins from the city, good lively place with pubs, cafes, schools etc.

Thomastown used to be a lively town

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Thomastown used to be a lively town

Is it no longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭votecounts

Yeah I agree. Carlow is the place to be with Athy a close second. Not much to do in either so at least you will save money ��
    +1 on this, cheaper than the other two as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

Is it no longer?

It does have cafes, schools, shops etc. so it's strong on amenities but the night life is not what it was at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

You should not run down Waterford as much with your bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The OP should compromise- New Ross is the place to be and right between Kilkenny and Wexford!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Both lovely places to be honest, and can buy a house and not feel like your are getting ripped off.

If you or your wife will be commuting regularly enough, probably an idea the check which has the more frequent public transport routes and better train timetables and times.

I know a few people working in Dublin city centre who do a daily commute on the train. Which is really not that bad fairly quick and you can get a lot done on the laptop during the commute so its not "lost time" if you were driving you car to commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

I like Kilkenny, never lived there but I have friends who live there and love it. It definitely seems to be a busy town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I take it your speaking from personal experience? I live in Wexford town and have done my whole life and I would never describe it as somewhere with a lot of anti social behavior. Much the same as any other large town in Ireland I'd imagine.

Wexford is beautiful plus your only a 15 minute drive from one of the best beaches Ireland has to offer in Curracloe.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Carlow is now a rent pressure zone . There are some estates , areas that are best avoided , but on the whole it’s a good town .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭brookville

Carlow is a dump but a good location.I wouldnt live in athy if i got a house for free. Kk is a very good city.

Advertisement