Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shin splint agony

• 03-10-2018 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

With less than four weeks to go to DCM I Have a lot of shin pain. It will be my first marathon and training was going really well up until maybe two weeks ago when I changed to new runners(but did it gradually...mizuno runners) and also did my longest run...29k(in old runners adidas)...pain came on gradually, then tonight couldn't actually run through the pain..was due to go 16k tonight and longest 32k is set for Saturday. Have been icing and foam rolling...if I rest for a week should I go back to where I stopped plan. I am really upset about it all...had no problems until now...don't know whether to go back to old adidas runners that never caused me any problems before...maybe I should see physio...pain in shins walking too😕

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

With less than four weeks to go to DCM I Have a lot of shin pain. It will be my first marathon and training was going really well up until maybe two weeks ago when I changed to new runners(but did it gradually...mizuno runners) and also did my longest run...29k(in old runners adidas)...pain came on gradually, then tonight couldn't actually run through the pain..was due to go 16k tonight and longest 32k is set for Saturday. Have been icing and foam rolling...if I rest for a week should I go back to where I stopped plan. I am really upset about it all...had no problems until now...don't know whether to go back to old adidas runners that never caused me any problems before...maybe I should see physio...pain in shins walking too��

I’d see a physio asap to be honest.

If you rest I’d prob just pick up at the point of the plan you are supposed to be at on that day. Don’t go chasing lost miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Brand new thick bar of soap in the shower. Dig it into your shins, rubbing it up and down. This really does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cupsnsaucers

Yeah will try get physio appoint, will give the soap a try too! If I rest for a week I've missed the only 20 mile on hal hig novices plan...I think mentally that wouldn't be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Yeah will try get physio appoint, will give the soap a try too! If I rest for a week I've missed the only 20 mile on hal hig novices plan...I think mentally that wouldn't be good.

You could rejiggle the plan so to do it a few days late maybe? Not ideal but maybe some night next week after work if all comes to all? I know I said don’t chase lost miles but you would be doing it instead of another run. See the physio first though before you do any damage.

Will do, thanks for advice. Been taking ibuprofen today and they actually feel a good bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

if they were sore enough not to run id be surprised if they're gone within a week, ibprufen will hide the pain alright, something like neurofen+ will totally hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

IvoryTower wrote: »
    if they were sore enough not to run id be surprised if they're gone within a week, ibprufen will hide the pain alright, something like neurofen+ will totally hide it.

bad idea to be hiding pain in your legs before running a marathon

(and a really bad idea to take painkillers during the marathon)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Rest is the only thing. Happened to me last year and had to take 10 weeks off.

A physio cant really do anything for it. Plenty of ice and foam rolling. I substituted in spinning to keep the fitness up.

Also calf raises helped me out no end. Do not take pain killers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Any time I've had shin splints it's been due to one of three reasons:
    - Change in footware
    - Bad technique (often down to weak core muscles leading to bad technique as the run got longer and my posture started to go a bit)
    - Upping the miles too quickly

I can only tell you what has helped me. This is not medical advice and everyone is different.

- Rest (obviously).
    - Ice.
    - Compression sock, sleeve or bandage around the whole length of my shin, even when just walking around.
    - While running, as soon as I feel any sort of tightness coming on, I make a point of kicking my foot back (almost hitting my bum with my heel) for about 30-40 steps, trying to point my toes as much as I can as I kick the foot back.

But yeah, go to the physio.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, didn't take any painkillers today and much better walking but will continue to rest, ice and foam roll. Didn't get to physio but guy in celbridge seems to have drop in clinic(injury assessment) mon eve that I'll try. I'm putting it down to my lovely new runners as I've been increasing distance appropriately. I really hope I can get back on plan, have put so much into this...will be devastated if shin splints stop me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Not enough time before DCM but this might help medium to long term.

https://strengthrunning.com/2010/07/how-to-get-rid-of-shinsplints/

Advertisement