Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Midleton 2009

• 11-10-2010 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Does anyone think that the 2009 bottle of Midleton would be a good long term investment ??

from reading various internet reports, it isnt the best midleton ever made, but apparently there was a lot less made of it compared to previous years.

i'm thinking of picking up 2 or more bottles from the distillery tomorrow (or next week).

(i generally buy two bottles of every yr, one to use and one to keep)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

It's hard to know. You might have to wait a long time for it to go up in value. You can pick up bottles back a good few years for the same price as the current ones, but the current ones were released at a higher price, of course...

• Brockagh wrote: »
    It's hard to know. You might have to wait a long time for it to go up in value.

I have a bottle of 2007 midleton rare. If I wait a decade or two will it be worth anything?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Midleton 2010 has just been released.
    I wouldn't recommend that anyone invest in Midleton if they wish to hold them for future profit. Buy and drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

midleton 2010, came out very quickly after 2009.

i dint think they mad much of 2009, i might buy 3 bottles.
    one to drink , 2 to keep longterm.

every other one i have from 2006 on, i have 2 of each.

I have a bottle of 2007 midleton rare. If I wait a decade or two will it be worth anything?:D

It will be worth something. At the moment, you could get a 2001 for close enough to the price of a 2010. A while ago it would have gone for much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Midleton 2009 was not released until well into this year as they were probably still large stocks of the 2008 & 2007 available. So the logical thinking is that the 2009 was a smaller release especially with the 2010 coming out at a more regular timing ... i.e. October for the Christmas sales.

Midleton is probably the most collectable of all modern Irish Whiskey. You will need to hold on to them for a while though but Irish whiskey is currently on a high so there are very positive signs for the future. A bottle from the early 90's (Ithink) made over 500 on ebay lately. I would reckon they not that bad of an investment for a few years down the line, just don't get carried away by the 50,000 price tag for a full set in Midleton. A full set will be worth more than sum of it's parts but I would guess 10,000 is a more realistic price. But now is the time to buy the older ones while you can get them at good prices, if you can get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Just a little update,

I went to the Jameson Distillery in midleton today to pick up a 2009 bottle of Midleton Very Rare.

All was going well, until i was told by the helpful guy behind the counter that they only had 2008 and 2010.

No 2009....

Anyway, long story short he managed to get me a bottle from the bar, which had a few 2009 bottles.

I think that this batch may become a rarity in years to come, at the moment its rare to even find it at the distillery

ps.
    How many bottles of midleton are made on a normal yr, and how many of the 2009 were made ?? anyone have any idea

They usually make it from a vatting of 50 bourbon casks. I don't know if it's different for the 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

Just digging up this thread form 8 years ago.
    Did any of you buy and keep the 2009 Midleton Very Rare and if so would you be willing to sell it .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,004 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Just digging up this thread form 8 years ago.
    Did any of you buy and keep the 2009 Midleton Very Rare and if so would you be willing to sell it .

If you find one, you'd be looking at dropping €1,000.

A friend picked one up last year for the bargain price of €900

• Advertisement

mikeecho wrote: »
    If you find one, you'd be looking at dropping €1,000.

A friend picked one up last year for the bargain price of €900

Yes, I know. I have seen them go for €1500 but its usually around €1000. I know some people looking for them that's why I am looking, I wouldn't mind adding it to my own collection too.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Yes, I know. I have seen them go for €1500 but its usually around €1000. I know some people looking for them that's why I am looking, I wouldn't mind adding it to my own collection too.

Do you plan on drinking it?

Do you plan on drinking it?

No, I don't.
    I have a 2008 bottle open that I am currently drinking.
    I have another whiskey I want to get, the seller/trader will only swap it for a 2009 MVR.

No, I don't.
    I have a 2008 bottle open that I am currently drinking.
    I have another whiskey I want to get, the seller/trader will only swap it for a 2009 MVR.

What are u looking to swap the mvr09 for?
    I'm guessing a RB Dream Cask

mikeecho wrote: »
    What are u looking to swap the mvr09 for?
    I'm guessing a RB Dream Cask

Good guess. That's the one.
    I have a friend looking too. It would complete both our collections.
    Even if I didn't get the RB Dream Cask, the MVR09 would be nice to have also. I am only missing 2007(which is easy enough to get) and 2009.

Even if I didn't get the RB Dream Cask, the MVR09 would be nice to have also. I am only missing 2007(which is easy enough to get) and 2009.

I'm on the look for a RB DC as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

a very nice whiskey it has to be said. But are they not selling for north of €2k?
    Seems a bit of a mad swap but i guess value is in the eye of the beholder.

alexlyons wrote: »
    a very nice whiskey it has to be said. But are they not selling for north of €2k?
    Seems a bit of a mad swap but i guess value is in the eye of the beholder.

Well he will sell it to me for €2000 cash or swap it with MVR2009 and €200 cash.
    I think he is mad, but I wont be telling him that ;)
    I saw a bottle of RB Dream Cask for €1,800 a couple of days ago, was advertised for about 10 minutes before being removed (I assume he sold it).

I have seen people get MVR2009 for €1000 recently. So I think I would be the real winner if I managed to get the MVR for a good price.

Well.. I'm looking to straight swap a mvr09 for rb dc.
    If it happens good and well, if not.. so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Revolution Bar in Waterford probably have a bottle (they have a collection going back to 1984 afair). Whether they'll sell it to you and for how much is a different question.

• Advertisement

Adyx wrote: »
    Revolution Bar in Waterford probably have a bottle (they have a collection going back to 1984 afair). Whether they'll sell it to you and for how much is a different question.

Interesting. I have never been there. Sounds like a good bar though.
    I am down there quite often so next time I will make sure I pop in.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Someone opened my 2005 bottle recently when drunk. Got 2/3 bottle left. Joyous.....

Corb_lund wrote: »
    Someone opened my 2005 bottle recently when drunk. Got 2/3 bottle left. Joyous.....

Thats why mine are locked away in a cabinet. Nice and safe away from everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Corb_lund

Thats why mine are locked away in a cabinet. Nice and safe away from everybody.

Bit frustrating but ah well.

Advertisement