Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Campaign

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Malonegirl96

Ze0tech wrote: »
    Don’t think calls for nov are done yet, they will almost certainly do further intakes until the new list is ready to get feet on the ground which they definitely need. Keep positive :)

I'm in the same boat as arniez12 and starting to worry about it abit. Submitted another application anyways. Fingers crossed I don't need it.
    Oh defo another application just as a back up. But even if they fastrack people from this new campaign they wouldn’t be ready until August 19 so plenty of time for us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Eire_1600

Hi everyone,

I’ve applied for this campaign which will be my first. I want to complete the Level 2 application of numbers ASAP, does anyone know where I can sit this (either online or in a centre)? Best of luck to everyone.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Eire_1600 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I’ve applied for this campaign which will be my first. I want to complete the Level 2 application of numbers ASAP, does anyone know where I can sit this (either online or in a centre)? Best of luck to everyone.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Find your nearest college or even community centre, some of them run essential skills courses for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JayJay999A

Hopefully this is third time lucky for me.... anyone any good resources for practicing IST? Application just completed and I want to get started and need practice practice practice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jay66

Hey folks don't know what the IST is actually like from what iv read its verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests. My partner signed me up to a website called how2become iv been doing verbal reasoning tests on it but there isn't any situational judgement tests hope this is of some use to you folks.
    Any advice be much appreciated with what yous are learning with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭BlueCop8790

Jay66 wrote: »
    Hey folks don't know what the IST is actually like from what iv read its verbal reasoning and situational judgement tests. My partner signed me up to a website called how2become iv been doing verbal reasoning tests on it but there isn't any situational judgement tests hope this is of some use to you folks.
    Any advice be much appreciated with what yous are learning with.
    Last year I just used online resources to help me practice and it helped me to get a pass. You'll find plenty of SJT's online. Also time yourself and complete them as quick as possible as it will give you a feel of the real exam.

Cheers bluecop8790

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

The SJT is what I really need to practice more on this time as it was what made me fail last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭KN1231999

Looks like they’re looking for 400+ Officers in this campaign. Reasonable amount considering it’s just under a year from the last recruitment drive.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/psni-launch-recruitment-drive-for-400-officers-37371773.html

Good to see and gives good motivation and hope to smash this campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

The numbers stated are a red herring they will take as many as they can. I.e. take as many as the purse allows.

They arent going to get to 400 and stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Wild.Wild.West

The numbers stated are a red herring they will take as many as they can. I.e. take as many as the purse allows.

They arent going to get to 400 and stop.
    also they have to replace anyone that leaves the force :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 redsox101

Anyone who's applied for the latest 2018 campaign get a email yet confirming your application?

Can anyone from the North please confirm if this online course would be a GCSE equivalent? It is a Key skills application of number course and will take approximately 12 weeks to complete or less.

Can anyone from the North please confirm if this online course would be a GCSE equivalent? It is a Key skills application of number course and will take approximately 12 weeks to complete or less.
    No. Must be from an accedited body. Need to enroll in a fast track course at a college

No. Must be from an accedited body. Need to enroll in a fast track course at a college

Thanks for the help. I’ve found a Halloween fast track course in a college so hopefully I get a position in it and get the assessment completed by January.

Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 janedoe8

redsox101 wrote: »
    Anyone who's applied for the latest 2018 campaign get a email yet confirming your application?
    Yeah I got one earlier today. Basic stuff, reiterating the details of the IST etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

redsox101 wrote: »
    Yes just got it a few minutes ago, it's looking like the IST will be on at the very start of November then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Goonerdee

Thanks for the help. I’ve found a Halloween fast track course in a college so hopefully I get a position in it and get the assessment completed by January.

Thanks again for the help I really appreciate it.

Hi Eire I had been trying to message you. It was only to say to try recruitment agencies or adult education centres about online/distance learning courses. Better going through them as a lot of online companies claim they are accredited when they arent. At least those I mentioned above would be able to point you towards to right ones. But hopefully that college course works out for you. Its always best to have a physical structure you can visit I believe.

Hey folks just wondering what people are doing to prepare for the IST?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Keeno1888

Has anyone any idea on a time frame of the stsges? IST, PCA, Medical etc? How much months in between going from previous campaigns

• Advertisement

Keeno1888 wrote: »
    Has anyone any idea on a time frame of the stsges? IST, PCA, Medical etc? How much months in between going from previous campaigns

IST opens November 1st.

Results December.

Assessment centres run Jan-March or April.

Then it Merit list will be released.

Remaining stages progress in merit order.

Better you do at the AC the quicker you are processed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Malonegirl96

Keeno1888 wrote: »
    Provided you pass the ist it all comes down to the AC, your score determines if or how quickly you will progress through the next stages

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭jwhdkl5736

Good luck to everyone in the 1810 campaign. If you want it enough and you're persistent enough, you can achieve this. My own experience is that dreams can be realized with effort. Your time will come folks. I said I would never become one of those people who ditch boards as soon as they get into the training college but with the amount of work ahead, I won't have much spare time. I'll drop in regularly though to see how you're all getting on and maybe I'll be able to communicate to you all with a better sense of what college life is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Aimforstars

I am new here and only recently received confirmation of my application. What should I do next?

I notice lots falter at AC stage? Is there anything I can do to be prepared?

Are there any books to assist through the entire process?

I am new here and only recently received confirmation of my application. What should I do next?

I notice lots falter at AC stage? Is there anything I can do to be prepared?

Are there any books to assist through the entire process?

Hey ! Welcome to the boards. I would firstly recommend that you focus on the IST before thinking about the AC. The test contains both a verbal reasoning test and situational judgment test. You’ll find plenty of materials online that you can use to help you prepare for this stage but you can also purchase some books off eBay or amazon. Good luck ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Wild.Wild.West

This is random but I want to say it now.

If you are good enough and pass IST and AC stages you will the Physical Competence Assessment (PCA) AKA the fitness test. 

For anyone that isn’t aware I have done all of the stages and pass all of them and should start GV this year so I know what I am talking about.

It’s amazing the amount of people failing the PCA and still not passing the repeat as we speak. There is quite a lot actually that fail it. It amazes me because this is your opportunity from today to prepare yourself for it. You have months to get yourself organised. Apart from carless mistakes you should pass this no problem. It really isn’t that hard if you prepare for it. Like 3 mins 54 seconds going all out isn’t a big ask.

This post isn’t to bum and blow its quite simply to tell you all now, Get the finger out, start preparing, lose a bit of weight if needs be and go smash it when it comes. 

What excuse will you give this time next year when you fail it?? You got a heads up.

love WWW :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

First time applying for PSNI. I'll plant myself here. Wishing everyone the very best of luck. Hope someone we all reach our full dreams and potential. I'm also looking to chat to candidates or Officers from the ROI who have applied or are serving as a PC with Psni.

Kind regards
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭E18

Also wanted to wish everyone the best of luck applying in 2018!
    Completed my application form 2 days ago and received confirmation today.
    Looks like IST will be the beginning of November.. Time to get practising, this is the bit i'm worried about the most.

Well that’s recruitment now closed. Good luck to everyone that’s applied. How’s the IST prep going ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭E18

That's the start of the rollercoaster now guys! Good luck!

I'm really worrying about the IST @bluecop8790.. I have been doing bits and pieces online, my minds coming around to the verbal reasoning, but the situational judgement is all over the show, sometimes scoring enough, sometimes no where near enough. There is too many options at times that feel correct, how about yourself?
    Really don't want to fall off on the first hurdle so any advice from anyone is really appreciated.

Advertisement