Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The My Story Jornalist

• 14-07-2018 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

I notice that we have become a nation of "my terrible story" type journalism.

E.g I experienced something really bad in my life and almost everything I'll write about will revolve around this issue.

As the initial terrible story gains weight, I then have another slightly terrible incident that happened me and because no one is going to call me out I could make up even more terrible things that happen me if I wanted.

It also seems as if these journalists have no background in journalism or have used these stories to become some kind of celebrity.

Is this just an era reality TV in the media?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭jmcc

Goes back to the "New Journalism" of the 1960s in America where the journalist became a participant in the story.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think your being kind. New Journalism tends to set the scene, the reporter/journalists may or may not be involved, their involvement might just be as an interviewer and they might set the scene and perhaps there initial views of the interviewee, it could be considered a type of written form documentary.

Here, I am talking about reporters/journalists/writers being the news. Placing some sort of importance on there own tragedy/experience. This is then picked by out news outlets as news. The journalists/reporter/writers may also be interviewed about these social media threads.

I am looking to shows like Vogue and Leaving Again with Stephen Byrne.

Now firstly here we have two Middle Class Dubliners (or at least 2 people that think they are middle class dubliners, so forgive me if Stephen is a Culchie).

Interesting Stephen has made his way to RTÉ ONE tonight when clearly this is a nonsence RTÉ2 reality type programme.

Okay I haven't seen the programme yet but I am guessing the following

1. Stephen mulling over his exam papers as we all did!
    2. Stephen return to his old school and the horror of that in itself
    3. Stephen talking about the stress that is put into the leaving cert and the hype
    4. A small bit on students currently doing the leaving and those that have just done it, with minor roles for teachers, we might be lucky to get some actually qualified educationalist.

What it won't do

1. Look at the deeper problems in the School System, problems for working class schools and primary schools.
    2. Realize that you don't actually have to do the Leaving Cert and that it is hyped by the media.

No it will be navel gazing by a Middle Class Boy who found himself at a young age on TV and who thinks he has or had problems.

I hope its much more than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

Elmo wrote: »

Now firstly here we have two Middle Class Dubliners (or at least 2 people that think they are middle class dubliners, so forgive me if Stephen is a Culchie).

Interesting Stephen has made his way to RTÉ ONE tonight when clearly this is a nonsence RTÉ2 reality type programme.

3. Stephen talking about the stress that is put into the leaving cert and the hype
    4. A small bit on students currently doing the leaving and those that have just done it, with minor roles for teachers, we might be lucky to get some actually qualified educationalist.

What it won't do

1. Look at the deeper problems in the School System, problems for working class schools and primary schools.
    2. Realize that you don't actually have to do the Leaving Cert and that it is hyped by the media.

No it will be navel gazing by a Middle Class Boy who found himself at a young age on TV and who thinks he has or had problems.

Did you see the trailer?

I watched 30 seconds of it, (one of the kids had it on when I walked into the room" I thought -Drama for the sake of self publicity and more Drama

aluminium wrote: »
    Did you see the trailer?

I watched 30 seconds of it, (one of the kids had it on when I walked into the room" I thought -Drama for the sake of self publicity and more Drama

I saw about 20 mins he was jetting of to meet Oprah.

What did you children think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

I saw about 20 mins he was jetting of to meet Oprah.

What did you children think?

Apologies for late reply,

Oprah no less.

Santa in Clearys would have been good enough for me.

As far as the kids go, only one of them watched it. Shes 21 has a degree and works in banking. She said it was good.

Jesus help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Interesting Stephen has made his way to RTONE tonight when clearly this is a nonsence RT reality type programme.

What it won't do

do you really consider them journalists?

do you really consider them journalists?

No, I don't they might, but I see across the board in newspapers also.

What what they TV presenters? Doesn't Vogue write a column?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

No, I don't they might, but I see across the board in newspapers also.

What what they TV presenters? Doesn't Vogue write a column?

columnist aren't journalists. I saw something which described Vogue as our Louis theroux! I would call her a broadcaster at best.

I was just wondering how much of her "Vogue on..." she has done and saw that she did "Vogue Does Straight A's Presenter RTÉ2 documentary about revisiting the leaving cert " and Stephen did it?!

anyway Im not sure Vogue and Stephen are quite the people you mean, but you don't want to mean and name other people, I mean Vogue is on about trolls all the time now, but your always going to get em especially if your are in the newspapers.

Advertisement