Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played it and finished it. Bought it off steam for 2.50

In my opinion that was 10 euro too expensive for it.

It's not the worst game ever made. It has a far bigger sin. It's just utterly mediocre and uninteresting with setpieces that would have felt archaic back in 1999. It's just so boring and feels like a budget shooter.

As for the humour, all of it falls flat. It just seems really out dated and none if the punchlines work with some jokes being about decade old memes (a decade old at release).

And that's when the humour is at its best. The game is down right offensive at times and mean spirited at times. I'm certainly not one to be overly politically correct but the section with the impregnated girls was disgusting.

It might be worth playing as a historical curiosity but prepare for one of the most forgettable gaming experiences you'll ever have.

Duke Nukem Forever is grand. If you're a fan of Duke 3d you'll get some enjoyment out of it. Reviewers were far too harsh at the time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Stupid question, but why can't a Mega Drive boot import games with a cartridge adaptor but I can boot a Saturn or Dreamcast with an Action Replay cart or boot CD?

It can boot the majority of imported games with an adapter, but later in the consoles life Sega introduced new region checks.
    You can circumvent it by doing the switchmod or getting a particular type of adapter, I think its the Honeybee, someone more knowledgeable than me can clarify . Should be compatible with everything afair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have a switchable region mod in my MD, you hold down the reset button to switch.
    When I pop in my PAL copy of Thunderforce IV it will only play in PAL mode, not in either NTSC/U or J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    When I pop in my PAL copy of Thunderforce IV it will only play in PAL mode, not in either NTSC/U or J.

I always thought that was the crap thing about switchless mods, you're stuck with 50Hz for PAL.....or can you force 60Hz on PAL games with them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    I always thought that was the crap thing about switchless mods, you're stuck with 50Hz for PAL.....or can you force 60Hz on PAL games with them?

I don't know tbh.
    Never fiddled with it that much, you'd have to ask Kerb who installed it.
    Also, the game plays just fine on my broadcast monitor via RGB as it is.
    Might be worth importing the Japanese version though.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I never thought of that!

Remember the 1 switch mod you did on my Nomad? You hold down the mode button when the game boots and it boots in 50hz. Then as soon as you release it pops over to 60hz.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I never thought of that!

Remember the 1 switch mod you did on my Nomad? You hold down the mode button when the game boots and it boots in 50hz. Then as soon as you release it pops over to 60hz.

Yeah cool little mod that, temporary 50Hz switch in order to bypass the checks, and then release for 60Hz goodness. Have you had to charge that thing yet :D

Master of the Universe

Yeah cool little mod that, temporary 50Hz switch in order to bypass the checks, and then release for 60Hz goodness. Have you had to charge that thing yet :D

I think I've charged it 2-3 times since you modded it. That must be what, 5 or so years ago now?

Fairly sure if I switched it on now this evening it would boot. Shame we didn't have batteries like that back in the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Guys...I think I just bought myself a Sega Dreamcast.

Also, I see someone just bought himself a modded PS2 on Adverts.

Guys...I think I just bought myself a Sega Dreamcast.

Also, I see someone just bought himself a modded PS2 on Adverts.

Shhh....
    What the actual feck...
    It's purely for... research purposes...
    And I don't fancy selling my soul for Ibara, Kuon and Rule of Rose again!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Shhh....
    What the actual feck...
    It's purely for... research purposes...
    And I don't fancy selling my soul for Ibara, Kuon and Rule of Rose again!
    I too also want one, for, uhhh, research purposes...and uhhh, a modded original Xbox to see what it's like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you do a hard disk or usb mod on a PS2 it's something you can do at home without the need of any soldering equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭megaten

Isn't their big loading problems with usb loading? Since the speed is slower than the disc read speed.

megaten wrote: »
    Isn't their big loading problems with usb loading? Since the speed is slower than the disc read speed.

No sure. I've the HD mod on mine. Probably will depend on the drive you use, a high quality one should be better, but I imagine there might be a bottleneck from the older USB interface on the PS2. There's also compatibility issues with USB but they might have been ironed out by now, I've not checked in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

You are correct it isn't great, suffers horribly with fmv or games that stream data. Hard drive is the best option, you can even mod it to take SATA drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

bugs wrote: »
    you can even mod it to take SATA drives.

No mod necessary anymore, just buy the SATA version of the HDD adapter (€13 on Ebay).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The guys at HG101 are all really digging a new shmup on steam called ZeroRanger.

Apparently its a fantastic, non-bullet hell shmup

I think I'd like the look of the game much more if they ditched the orange and green aesthetic and went with something a little more colourful.

Yep, PS2 uses USB 1.0....its an abysmal transfer rate. Free McBoot with a SATA hdd adaptor is the bees knees. Faster loading times, no wear and tear on the crappy lasers, dump your own games, transfer 'other' games, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,943 ✭✭✭Doge

Great to see all the spike in gets and in posts recently on the forum.

Looks like autumn / winter is good for something after all!

No mod necessary anymore, just buy the SATA version of the HDD adapter (€13 on Ebay).
    Yeah, but those adaptors have no network functionality so I can't play on a private server or tunnel a LAN connection.

I have the TEST PS2 with the HDD but do use it.
    I'd rather run... disks... in a modded PS2.
    I'm not returning to the old days of a cake of DVDRs though!

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    Great to see all the spike in gets and in posts recently on the forum.

Looks like autumn / winter is good for something after all!

I was thinking the same thing, thought the place was on the way out there for a bit :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I've gotten loads of stuff but never posted, take picture, scrape from google photos, upload to flickr, post etc.... used to be simpler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I'd be the same, I can't remember that last time I posted something here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I haven't gotten much games lately, meant to post some tees but got lazy :pac:
    Atm I'm mad for art supplies maybe then I'll go through a gaming phase

Master of the Universe

When photobucket decided to rip everyone off and all of my photo links from the last 10+ years died I decided to stop posting photos.

Been getting a bit of a hankering to recently though. If anything, to reassure me that buying old crap most people don't care about is actually okay. :D

I thought I was all done with purchases....

But now I want an MSX2 and several other goodies.
    Also, there's a mountain of retro games and accessories out there that'd look mighty fine in my gamesroom!

Like the Famicom zapper and the arkanoid controller,

I have to have one of these though

s-l1600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

o1s1n wrote: »
    When photobucket decided to rip everyone off and all of my photo links from the last 10+ years died I decided to stop posting photos.

Been getting a bit of a hankering to recently though. If anything, to reassure me that buying old crap most people don't care about is actually okay. :D

I lost a lot of pictures when that happened too. Instagram isn't too bad for sharing pictures, I'd take it over Facebook any day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement