Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon Route Changes.....

Options
  • 02-10-2018 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭

Would anyone have links to previous iterations of the DCM route? I wonder since the LUAS works are pretty much done and dusted would a return to north of the Liffey be on the cards. Also any Boardsies have any wish list for a new and improved DCM route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'd like to see Castleknock being kept in - its a b'stard of a climb (you only realise it later)but its a cracking atmosphere.

Heres a video of the 1990 marathon - the 1st few seconds of it has the route map - interesting out to Templeouge at mile 8 then out to Irishtown, Raheny/Coolock and back into the city center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajFx0v36ql0

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

My dad did it in 83 ( I think) and pretty sure it went through finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

It went through Finglas from 1980 to 1984 - past our house actually. My uncle ran it in '83.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Would love to see some variation every few years. If if they changed course direction every other year or something like that.

I ran my first one in 2008 and really all have been a variation of town, Phoenix Park, Crumlin, UCD, Ballsbridge, Merrion Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Would love to see some variation every few years. If if they changed course direction every other year or something like that.

I ran my first one in 2008 and really all have been a variation of town, Phoenix Park, Crumlin, UCD, Ballsbridge, Merrion Square.

Would love to see 50/50 Northside and soutside. Can’t see it happening though as the established route is known and traffic restrictions on the day etc are known. Would be a lot of work to implement significant changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I proposed this route on a similar thread a few years ago. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Murph_D wrote: »
    I proposed this route on a similar thread a few years ago. :)

Still has crumlin road on it, the section from Dolphins Barn to the walkinstown roundabout is imho the worst section of DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

This is the route I'd love to see implemented: link. Takes in some of the nicest parts of Dublin, safe and pretty flat.

It's a joke.....

A joke...

I’d run it! (If it had more northside). ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Start at Merrion Square, run across the Liffey (onto the northside!), run down to Heuston station and about a mile further on, then turn around and run back along the south quays.
    Run down Grafton Street and Leeson street and on to the N11, go out that way a few miles, then turn around and run back to the city.
    Turn at the right places and that's 21k, all fairly flat.
    Two laps for the marathon

• Advertisement

pac_man wrote: »
    Might be grand for something flattish but that route would bore me to tears.

yes, and it would never happen because it closes the quays, both LUAS lines, and one of the main routes into the city for as long as the race is on.
    But flat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

I’ve yet to see a route that’s better than the current one.

The 80s route than went to north side via east wall would be awful today.

Besides Crumlin road, there’s not a lot wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Djoucer wrote: »

I agree, I like it. Bit too much climing in first 5 miles and that section on the crumlin road is bleak but its a good route overall. If it was run in reverse with those first 5 miles at the end it would be some fast finish.

What's so bad about Crumlin - apart from the slight drag/headwind? My least favourite section is the bit from Walkinstown Roundabout to KCR (and beyond). Just as boring, if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

What's so bad about Crumlin - apart from the slight drag/headwind? My least favourite section is the bit from Walkinstown Roundabout to KCR (and beyond). Just as boring, if you ask me!

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Djoucer wrote: »

My issue with it is that it’s a great event, great atmosphere in areas where it goes through. I’d like to see that more evenly dispersed than just the south side. No issues with it for the runners, just think us Northsiders miss out on supporting it locally. I still head to the south side to cheer people on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Zero atmosphere, no support on the road bar the junkies wondering who is more out of their heads, them or the runners.

At least from Walkinstown you get support along the way to KCR and beyond

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I've done about 15 different marathons and I don't think I've ever had a thought of 'this is really boring' during a race. I'm usually too busy making sure the wheels don't fall off! There really is plenty going on internally to not have me worry about scenery etc! Things I do care about- the weather, which is a roll of a dice, profile and running surface. Maybe drinks i.e. bottles or cups is another issue but everything else is unimportant.

What's so bad about a road that's long and straight and uphill and into the wind?

Once you turn at the roundabout you know you're into a fast section of the course, from there to Milltown really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

In securing a route for the Marathon, there are so many factors to take into account.
    Traffic management - access for communities etc. and keeping traffic moving.
    Hospitals - maintaining emergency routes.
    Public transport - being able to re-route buses, delaying Luas etc.
    Runner satisfaction accounts for about 10% of the decision.

• Advertisement

Of course. But we can still dream! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

This is the route I'd love to see implemented: link. Takes in some of the nicest parts of Dublin, safe and pretty flat.

It's a joke.....

A joke...

Nice route but I can see three problems:

1: Crosses the red luas line
    2: Crosses the green luas line
    3: It passes my house at around 20 miles....far too tempting !!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nice route but I can see three problems:

1: Crosses the red luas line
    2: Crosses the green luas line
    3: It passes my house at around 20 miles....far too tempting !!!!!!!
    Yeah, I was just kidding. Though DCM is selling out so early these days, maybe like the football, there's room for a North Dublin and South Dublin marathon. ;) I'd imagine you'd get some amount of support running through Sandyford Industrial Estate on a Sunday morning. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Yeah, I was just kidding. Though DCM is selling out so early these days, maybe like the football, there's room for a North Dublin and South Dublin marathon. ;) I'd imagine you'd get some amount of support running through Sandyford Industrial Estate on a Sunday morning. :rolleyes:

Yep.......the wife and the two dogs !!!

RayCun wrote: »
    What's so bad about a road that's long and straight and uphill and into the wind?

I ran it today and it's not that bad.

It's worse.

Advertisement