Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2018 Water Stations

• 01-10-2018 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Here's a list of all the water stations, toilets (WC), medical (Med), Lucozade sport and gel stations for the Dublin Marathon 2018.

The map is the exact same as last year, but some of the station markings don't correspond to their actual location. If anyone can remember the exact locations of the stations, please post a reply and I'll edit this post. One less thing to worry about on the day.

Last year the Lucozade Sport was said to be in bottles. This year it's cups, no bottles. If you were relying on sports drink for fuelling you should change your plan. Expect a hot sticky mess around Chapelizod and Roebuck. I remember last year in Chapelizod they had cups as well as gigantic (900ml) bottles. I got a bottle and had to dump half of it. The flavour isn't given on the website but presumably it's orange.

I think I got one gel last year but you should bring your own instead of relying on stations just in case. High5 gels are a mix of flavours. Lots of Terenure people give out jelly sweets along Bushy Park too.

The advice I got last year was to avoid the first water station around Aughrim street ("carnage!"). I personally didn't find it too bad.

Stations are every 2 miles (3.2km) except around Kimmage which has 3 miles (4.8km) between stations.

In previous years there have been a few people collapsing on the Merrion road but there are still no medical stations after Nutley lane.

Marathon Stations 2018

Mile 3 (Aughrim Street) (Manor St. before Aughrim St. fork)
    Water WC Med

Mile 5 (Phoenix Pk) (Before the Roundabout?)
    Water WC Med

Mile 7 (Castleknock) (After the left in the village?)
    Water WC Med

Mile 9.5 (Chapelizod) (After Chapelizod gate, before village?)
    Water Lucozade Sport WC Med

Mile 11 (Inchicore Rd) (Missed this myself last time. Just after SCR turn?)
    Water WC Med

Mile 13 (Crumlin Shopping Centre) (After the half-way point arch?)

-- 3 Miles Between --

Mile 16 (Kimmage Road) (Just before the KCR)
    Water Gel WC Med

-- 3 Miles Between --

Mile 19 (Orwell Park) (The actual tree-lined part?)

Mile 21 (Clonskeagh Road) (Can't remember this one at all)
    Water Gel WC Med

Mile 22 (Roebuck/Fosters Turn) (Before Heartbreak Hill, after Roebuck Castle)
    Lucozade Sport

Mile 24 (Nutley/Merrion Turn) (Right at the turn I think)
    Water WC Med

---

10 Water/WC/Medical stations
    4 Lucozade Sport stations: Chapelizod, Crumlin, Orwell Park, Roebuck
    2 Gel stations (21,000 gels) at Kimmage (16mi / 26km) and Clonskeagh (21mi / 24km)

Water: 250ml bottles
    Lucozade Sport (Several flavours): ** CUPS ** no bottles
    Gels: High5 (No flavour information)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Mile 22 (Roebuck/Fosters Turn) (Top of heartbreak hill?)
    Lucozade Sport, ..........This one is usually before the hill starts, just after the gates of Roebuck Castle, there is usually one at the bottom of Fosters Avenue, before the turn onto the N11

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mile 16 would be just before the KCR

I think there are two flavors of gels, both fruit? Or maybe just orange

There might not be a medical spot in the last few miles, but the steward teams have radios to connect with race hq and get an ambulance, and there are a lot of first aiders at the finish

Actually, as you say, there is a medical spot at 24 miles. So anyone in trouble near the end will be no more than a mile from a medical station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

bottles are handy but am glad they are not giving them out after the amount of waste at the half marathon last month, people literally taking one sip out of the bottles and throwing them away.

i picked up a bottle towards the end and held on to it for a bit as it was handy to take sips from. don't like having to wear the water belt thing but am in two minds about whether to bring it or not. handy to have your own supply for whenever but then again ever 2 miles is not a huge gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

Cups of Lucozade is a bit of a joke, while i get the environmental impact, having to stop to drink out of a cup is a pain in the arse (and drinking a sugary drink from a cup and spilling it on yourself isnt welcome either!)

This is a serious long distance event where hydration is of utmost importance....cups are not supportive of this

Bad move if you ask me

• Advertisement

Water is in bottles, lucozade in cups

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Cups of Lucozade is a bit of a joke, while i get the environmental impact, having to stop to drink out of a cup is a pain in the arse (and drinking a sugary drink from a cup and spilling it on yourself isnt welcome either!)

This is a serious long distance event where hydration is of utmost importance....cups are not supportive of this

Bad move if you ask me

Works in plenty of other marathons around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Bad move if you ask me

You’ll just have to learn to drink from the cup.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭imknackered

You’ll just have to learn to drink from the cup.

NEVER!!!:D

Will probably just stick to water TBH and avoid the cups

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Bring a short and stubby straw with you. Sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RayCun wrote: »
    Actually, as you say, there is a medical spot at 24 miles. So anyone in trouble near the end will be no more than a mile from a medical station.

You are running past a major hospital at mile 24!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nevan

Thanks for the station information RayCun and Glencarraig, I’ve updated the post.

If anyone is thinking of using a water pack, take a look at the FAQ:
    Can I use a Water Pack / Vest
    They will only be allowed in restricted circumstances and must be sanctioned by the organisers at the time of entry, also, all packs or equipment will be subject to detailed search and examination at the point of entry to the start zone. Packs for Medical needs will be allowed, subject to inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 nevan

Yevon wrote: »
    Am i not right in saying last year's last lucozade station was meant to be in cups too? But they were just filling cups from bottles which weren't hard to get. I just grabbed (politely I swear) a bottle of some young lad filling the bottles and carried it for a few miles.

Last year the website said 380ml bottles but I remember at Chapelizod they were filling cups with it but giving out huge bottles too. I got bottles at the other stations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

There will be a number of medical teams in the last mile.

Advertisement