Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Debate - #4 Is Die Hard - A Christmas Movie - Yippki-YAY or Yippki-NAY?

• 01-10-2018 8:59am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good Morning everyone and welcome to week 4 of our Christmas Debate series.

This morning is the first of October and we have 3 months left in the year and even less to the big day and the season in general.

This morning is a good one and could easily go either way. Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie?

Yippki-YAY

It's set a Christmas Time.
    It features Christmas Music.
    There's snow.
    It's based around a Christmas Party.
    For some Christmas isn't Christmas until Hans Gruber falls from the Nakatomi Tower.

Yippki-Nay

It's definitely NOT a family Movie.
    It's pretty violent.
    It's an action movie.
    Is there a clear Christmas message we can learn from?

Is Die Hard a Christmas Movie? 57 votes

Yippki-YAY
    0%
    Yippki-NAY
    100%
    ScarinaeCalibosTCP/IPZaphbennyx_oBrookieDDoctorEdgeWildomb0wyn5ehpij9The MajorLord Spenceronan.hPosyAdamcp898razorbluntDr BobDavyD_83tomo75Toto Wolfcastlebanie01kitten_k 57 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Yippki-NAY
    It always reminds me of Christmas so I voted yes

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yippki-NAY
    kitten_k wrote: »
    It always reminds me of Christmas so I voted yes

Yea It's an interesting one... If I watch it at Christmas I enjoy it as a Christmas movie but it's a movie I can watch any time of the year without relating it to Christmas...

For me it is a Christmas movie... slightly...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yippki-NAY
    This is surely not a debate?

It's the story of a man's journey to be with his family for Christmas.
    Granted, that journey is interrupted by a terrorist take over of the Nakotomi Plaza.
    But there are Christmas carols, redemption, snow and even gifts!
    Don't forget the santa hat wearing terrorist or the pregnant party goers either!
    Ultimately John finds his way home, and his misdeeds are forgiven by Holly and the drive off into the LA "snow"

Totally an Xmas movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Yippki-NAY
    I've gone with Yay :) We have a tendency to watch it every Christmas (probably cos it's usually on at least three stations) & it was played last Christmas at my old work as the Christmas movie one lunchtime. But saying that, it's the sort of movie I'd watch all year round too!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yippki-NAY
    banie01 wrote: »
    This is surely not a debate?

It's the story of a man's journey to be with his family for Christmas.
    Granted, that journey is interrupted by a terrorist take over of the Nakotomi Plaza.
    But there are Christmas carols, redemption, snow and even gifts!
    Don't forget the santa hat wearing terrorist or the pregnant party goers either!
    Ultimately John finds his way home, and his misdeeds are forgiven by Holly and the drive off into the LA "snow"

Totally an Xmas movie!

It's been dated for a while now... mostly on Twitter..

One of my favourite tweets on the subject was;

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

For me its a Nay!

I can see why others might like to think it is but for me its just not a christmas film. It might be set at Christmas but for me its not one I'd have on the family watch list in the run up to Crimbo.

I can watch Die Hard any time of the year and the enjoyment level is equal, whilst the genuine christmas films I get a bigger 'buzz' or sense of enjoyment watching at christmas time, that for me is the deciding factor.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yippki-NAY
    Course it's a Christmas film. Home Alone is considered a Christmas film so why wouldn't Die Hard be?
    DvB wrote: »
    It might be set at Christmas but for me its not one I'd have on the family watch list in the run up to Crimbo.

It's up there with Elf on our family watch list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Yippki-NAY
    If a film in anyway reminds you of christmas and gives you that holiday feeling then for me its a christmas film all day long. Die Hard always gives me them christmas vibes. Willy Wonka has nothing at all to do with christmas and I still think that is a Christmas film.

Yippki-NAY
    Course it's a Christmas film. Home Alone is considered a Christmas film so why wouldn't Die Hard be?

https://www.cnet.com/news/bruce-willis-die-hard-is-not-a-christmas-movie/

Bruce Willis disagrees :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Yippki-NAY
    What the hell would Ashton Kutcher's dad know about it, sure he was a puppet actor who was lucky to be cast in a Christmas classic.

I have to say kudo's to you loughc, this is a genius way of going about it, sure preferring a fake tree to a real one, or preferring roses to quality street can be chalked down to not being hugged enough but to avoid any ambiguity and weed out those who really aren't elves this question works a treat. You must have gotten the idea watching blade runner when they question the replicants.

Of course its a Christmas movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Yippki-NAY
    Loughc wrote: »

Never liked him. :pac:

He's mentioned that a few times in interviews. Remember seeing one where he backed it up by saying the film was released in July and how many christmas films are released in the middle of summer? :D

FWIW, whatever people consider to be a crimbo film is up to them, there's films that are associated with christmas that are nothing to do with it (willy wonka for example) but if its what reminds you of christmas, fanstastic, sit back & enjoy!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Voted nay. My husband loves this movie however, it never gets watched at Christmas time in our house.... doesn't give me the Christmas feels!!

Yippki-NAY
    DvB wrote: »
    He's mentioned that a few times in interviews. Remember seeing one where he backed it up by saying the film was released in July and how many christmas films are released in the middle of summer? :D

Interestingly enough the original Miracle on 34th Street was released during the summer as the studio wanted to get some of that summer blockbuster money, the initial trailer for the movie never mentioned Christmas in it.

Interestingly enough the original Miracle on 34th Street was released during the summer as the studio wanted to get some of that summer blockbuster money, the initial trailer for the movie never mentioned Christmas in it.

Wouldn't even have been aware of either TBH. Just remember him (Bruce Willis) bringing it up, in that particular interview he gave the impression he was sick of being asked that question.

Yippki-NAY
    Richard Gere, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone, James Caan and Burt Reynolds turned down the role.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Yippki-NAY
    Not only is Die Hard a Christmas movie, but so too is Die Hard 2. And I'm prepared to dig out my special tinsel wrapped Christmas banhammer should anyone wish to argue to the contrary. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Curve ball: if you are happy to watch a film outside of Christmas, its an all year film, not an Christmas film.

Id watch DH any day of the year, so its not an Christmas movie.

Also, important to remember that despite DH being released during the busy Christmas period of MID JULY, this doesnt really have an impact on it being a Christmas movie, given the above criteria.

Voting Yippki-NAY

Zaph wrote: »
    Not only is Die Hard a Christmas movie, but so too is Die Hard 2. And I'm prepared to dig out my special tinsel wrapped Christmas banhammer should anyone wish to argue to the contrary. :pac:

Uh oh.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭shelly22

Yippki-NAY
    I voted yes
    Always watch it at Christmas

I read Bruce Willis said it is not a Christmas movie but I disagree

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yippki-NAY
    I can't put it better than banie01 did. Of course it is a Christmas film.
    Jude13 wrote: »
    I have to say kudo's to you loughc, this is a genius way of going about it, sure preferring a fake tree to a real one, or preferring roses to quality street can be chalked down to not being hugged enough but to avoid any ambiguity and weed out those who really aren't elves this question works a treat. You must have gotten the idea watching blade runner when they question the replicants.
    Hahahaha. :D:D
    Pter wrote: »
    Curve ball: if you are happy to watch a film outside of Christmas, its an all year film, not an Christmas film.
    Most of us here are happy to do anything Christmassy at any time of the year though. :pac:

Yippki-NAY
    Interesting swing in the vote since the afternoon. One of the options went from 90% to 75% could one side be making a stronger counter arguement?

Yippki-NAY
    Pter wrote: »

Id watch DH any day of the year, so its not an Christmas movie.

Also, important to remember that despite DH being released during the busy Christmas period of MID JULY, this doesnt really have an impact on it being a Christmas movie, given the above criteria.

Voting Yippki-NAY

Pter that may work on other forums but on the Christmas one some watch Christmas movies year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,412 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Die Hard, the title says it all ---> action film, simple as.

While You Were Sleeping is also set at Christmastime, but I wouldn't consider it anything but a RomCom.

Jude13 wrote:
    Pter that may work on other forums but on the Christmas one some watch Christmas movies year round.

Thats grand sure. Live and let live is one of the main messages I get from die hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Yippki-NAY
    When Hans and his bunch of cronies are taking over the party and getting all the staff into the main office area they pull a couple out of a side office who obviously have been having a little bit of nookie.

Staff Christmas party, drunken bad decisions....I mean it doesn't get more Christmassy than that! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zaph wrote: »
    I feel DH2 is the only Christmas movie in the franchise. It's the real snow and McClane's jumper that does it.

That and Colm Meaney toasting in an open fire.

Yippki-NAY
    50 votes in and currently a 76/24% split.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Yippki-NAY
    It's probably even more of a stretch but Lethal Weapon 1 is a Christmas movie.

• Advertisement

Yippki-NAY
    59 votes cast and we have now swung to a 80/20% split.

It's going to be a tight squeeze back back for one side.

diehard-743069.jpg

Advertisement