Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Gemma O'Doherty have been given a chance

• 29-09-2018 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Should Gemma have been given a chance to run for president? Personally I think no because she is too caustic and abrasive and makes her points very poorly. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

She did have a chance, the same as everyone else. But her wild accusations backed up with nothing and her crackpot theories meant no council would touch her, apart from one I believe. Of course now her camp will no doubt blame a media conspiracy against her or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

She did have a chance, the same as everyone else. But her wild accusations backed up with nothing and her crackpot theories meant no council would touch her, apart from one I believe. Of course now her camp will no doubt blame a media conspiracy against her or some such.

See, this is exactly my thinking on the matter. She has become toxic even in her own profession. The Veronica Guerin claims were the final nail I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I hadn't heard much about her before her failed attempt to get nominated but she appears to be dangerous with some of her conspiracies. Her latest is vaccines wondering why the Irish Cancer Society would be promoting the HPV vaccine.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1046081896613056512

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You better believe it: https://www.oceanfm.ie/2018/09/27/spoil-your-vote-and-support-gemma-odoherty-for-president-urges-donegal-campaign/ :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you wanted to set a new record for the least votes received in a presidential election maybe there was a justification for it.

Her remaining credentials as an "investigative journalist" have been almost destroyed by her comments during her attempt to get a nomination and would have been fully deleted had she had to do a presidential debate - that could have been a positive really!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,746 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

L1011 wrote: »
    If you wanted to set a new record for the least votes received in a presidential election maybe there was a justification for it.
    I think she would have got more votes than some of them.... Joan Freeman....at least..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

gmisk wrote: »
    I think she would have got more votes than some of them.... Joan Freeman....at least..

If she didn't say a word between nomination and the election day possibly. A few debates and I think she'd be down to record lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,409 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

gmisk wrote: »

well all of those that voted for her we could have put on a list and removed their voting rights as they're obviously too dumb to see through her conspiracy theory bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

She did have her chance and if she handled it better she could have been on the ballot slip at the end of October. She didn't handle it well and she only has herself to blame. Based on her utterances during the campaign she has no right to anywhere near a diplomatic position like President of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

gandalf wrote: »
    Based on her utterances during the campaign she has no right to anywhere near a diplomatic position like President of Ireland.

O'Doherty has a long history of nutjob comments - it wasn't just during the campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Havent we enough spacers sucking the trough without her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Her most recent tweet is ant HPV vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭yobr

Gerry G wrote: »
    See, this is exactly my thinking on the matter. She has become toxic even in her own profession. The Veronica Guerin claims were the final nail I believe

Also the comments from those on twitter from the Father molloy and Mary Boyle campaigns appeared to overplay her involvement in those issues. The issue around corruption is a real one but her lack of tact and diplomacy didnt endear her to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

yobr wrote: »
    Also the comments from those on twitter from the Father molloy and Mary Boyle campaigns appeared to overplay her involvement in those issues. The issue around corruption is a real one but her lack of tact and diplomacy didnt endear her to anyone.

Any one interested in uncovering corruption has been dealt a blow with her nonsense over the last 6 weeks. There is definitely corruption involved in public life (why? because there's money and humans involved), it needs diligent unlayering and compiling into a complete case before being introduced publicly.

Future corruption claims will have to surpass the Gemma bias that it is just someone else making a wild claim in order to get attention. Those who are corrupt are probably smiling that an attempt to shine a light on the practice was done in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Any one interested in uncovering corruption has been dealt a blow with her nonsense over the last 6 weeks. There is definitely corruption involved in public life (why? because there's money and humans involved), it needs diligent unlayering and compiling into a complete case before being introduced publicly.

Future corruption claims will have to surpass the Gemma bias that it is just someone else making a wild claim in order to get attention. Those who are corrupt are probably smiling that an attempt to shine a light on the practice was done in this way.

This is exactly the way I'm thinking. She's made a mess of it and is too belligerent and self serving to back down

This is exactly the way I'm thinking. She's made a mess of it and is too belligerent and self serving to back down

Her MO was similar to that of the Big D across the water.

He of course had sufficient funds/friends to get as far as the ballot.
    If her attempt for the presidency makes any sense, she will appear on a General Election ballot paper in future. Thing is though, she's probably introduced such hair brained claims (anti-vac and state collusion in Guerin murder) to be dismissed from any considerations for that in future now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think its more than that, she's disturbingly obsessive, both in terms of things most people have no interest in and in trying to perpetuate truths, as she sees them, that have long since been debunked or eclipsed.

Her threatening behaviour against other media folk (and non) who legitimately question her motives as well as her methods amounts to harassment. She talks of her legal team being on a hair-trigger to pounce on any "defamation". The same legal team that she states advises her to DM folk on social media to notify them of proceedings. She must have My Cousin Vinny as her senior counsel.

She tells all and sundry that she is mad, bad and dangerous to know, but personally I think she has serious mental health problems of some sort that require professional intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Larbre34 wrote: »
    She tells all and sundry that she is mad, bad and dangerous to know, but personally I think she has serious mental health problems of some sort that require professional intervention.

She has revealed more corruption and worked harder as a journalist than the whole newsroom of the Irish Independent, Irish Times and RTE. She is a national treasure and I strongly suspect that she will be vindicated on her claims with regard to Vernonica Guerin and Mary Boyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

She has revealed more corruption and worked harder as a journalist than the whole newsroom of the Irish Independent, Irish Times and RTE. She is a national treasure and I strongly suspect that she will be vindicated on her claims with regard to Vernonica Guerin and Mary Boyle.

Okay, what was her anti-corruption drive back when she was not spouting stuff about vaccination and upsetting families of murder victims?

I have heard she is a crusader for justice and was an effective one - what was it? I have mostly been exposed to her more bat**** claims. I am interested as to how she acted with legit claims and/or what they were. It is very hard to give her credence just from what I have seen and heard from her, including her bizarre claiming of Joan Freeman's scandal (the Knock thing) which she tweeted a claim was about *her* despite this being blatantly ridiculous.

I mean, I'm sure other candidates are delighted if O'Dogherty wants to spartecus for them, but why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

By the way I accept that she was given a chance and do not see how she could have been an acceptable President. She would probably have been by far the worst of the candidates. The penalty points scandal is the most high profile recent revelation of hers , for which she was sacked by the Indo.

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Okay, what was her anti-corruption drive back when she was not spouting stuff about vaccination and upsetting families of murder victims?

I have heard she is a crusader for justice and was an effective one - what was it? I have mostly been exposed to her more bat**** claims. I am interested as to how she acted with legit claims and/or what they were. It is very hard to give her credence just from what I have seen and heard from her, including her bizarre claiming of Joan Freeman's scandal (the Knock thing) which she tweeted a claim was about *her* despite this being blatantly ridiculous.

I mean, I'm sure other candidates are delighted if O'Dogherty wants to spartecus for them, but why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

john4321 wrote: »
    I hadn't heard much about her before her failed attempt to get nominated but she appears to be dangerous with some of her conspiracies. Her latest is vaccines wondering why the Irish Cancer Society would be promoting the HPV vaccine.

https://twitter.com/gemmaod1/status/1046081896613056512

Jesus wept, a corporation gives 100k to ICS's volunteer driver programme and GoD sees a trans-national conspiracy.

HOW DARE THESE AMERICAN COMPANIES HELP A CHARITY PROVIDE TRANSPORT TO CANCER PATIENTS!

What a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

and I strongly suspect that she will be vindicated on her claims with regard to Vernonica Guerin .

Putting aside her craziness, what's your basis for this belief? Just that Gemma o'Doherty said it? She hasnt given any evidence or backed it up in any way.

Are you just starting from a base of believing anything she says?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,136 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well she did bring a lot of entertainment to the first part of the Presidential elections, so I'm sure we'll treasure her for that. Doubt that was her intention though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

She was given a chance like every other candidate bar the sitting president to state their case to the councils around the country. She did not reach the numbers required to be on the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

She has revealed more corruption and worked harder as a journalist than the whole newsroom of the Irish Independent, Irish Times and RTE.

She hasn't of course, but I'd be interested in what information has led you to that belief?

Leaving flowerly lifestyle magazine descriptions aside, there isnt a person alive who warrants the description 'national treasure', and if there were, Gemma would be very far down the list, her personal and professional conduct leave a whole lot to be desired

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Larbre34 wrote: »
    She hasn't of course, but I'd be interested in what information has led you to that belief?

Leaving flowerly lifestyle magazine descriptions aside, there isnt a person alive who warrants the description 'national treasure', and if there were, Gemma would be very far down the list, her personal and professional conduct leave a whole lot to be desired

"national treasure" me arse.
    Now the "Nations sweetheart" like Miriam is different even though she has her knockers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

The fact that she spouts all sorts of nonsense without backing it up with anything credible makes her a terrible journalist. She regularly Molloy family and Boyle family based on what they said during the campaign on twitter. The Veronica Guerin thing is outright offensive as it's basically reinventing what happened. Whenever anyone highlighted her crap, she threatened to sue them. She's so transparent!

• She had a substantive opportunity, and blew it through a combination of arrogance and paranoia. Give someone enough rope...

She had a substantive opportunity, and blew it through a combination of arrogance and paranoia. Give someone enough rope...

She didn't really have an opportunity and was way out of her depth. Even if she had expressed an interest, didn't antagonise someone, she could have sown a seed for a general election run at the Dail. As it stands, it will be a long time before people forget the craziness even in her short time and limited exposure in this race.

Either she has very shoddy advisors or is very naive herself to have handled the seeking of a nomination the way she did.

Be like walking in to the canteen of a company where you want a job and bad mouthing the board and CEO and then asking staff members to put your cv forward for a role and to vouch for you.

I've a lot of time for the concept of investigative journalists, she went way down in my estimation with her recent behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

She didn't really have an opportunity and was way out of her depth. Even if she had expressed an interest, didn't antagonise someone, she could have sown a seed for a general election run at the Dail. As it stands, it will be a long time before people forget the craziness even in her short time and limited exposure in this race.

Either she has very shoddy advisors or is very naive herself to have handled the seeking of a nomination the way she did.

Be like walking in to the canteen of a company where you want a job and bad mouthing the board and CEO and then asking staff members to put your cv forward for a role and to vouch for you.

I've a lot of time for the concept of investigative journalists, she went way down in my estimation with her recent behaviour.

I dont know that she didn't have an opportunity. Her background credentials are decent..ish. (I've skimmed over her work but I was a bit unsettled by the lurid yet unhelpful language and lack of either evidence or explanation regarding the Molloy case.)

She got Laois, Cork didn't go for her. But she'd previously threatened to sue a councillor interviewing her and come in with publuc allegations about the murdered sister of another councillor. I mean, wow what might be putting people off here!

Along with her rather unpleasantly belligerent attitude and that weird thing with Freeman's Knock allegation.

It might have been there is a deep state that deeply dislikes her and she would never have gotten anywhere but we'll never know thanks to her own appalling behaviour in my view. There are three Dragons in this race and still there was a worse candidate.

Advertisement