Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords Dashcam Offer

• 29-09-2018 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭handofdog

Halfords have

1. Approx €30 off the Next Base 412w so that it is €123.60 (compared to approx €115 on Amazon excluding delivery)

2. Free fitting (seems to be a nice job with minimal cables exposed) which would be normally €35 - currently charging £30 in the UK. This also leaves your cigarette lighter charger free for other devices.

3. A free Nextbase reflection lens (€24 in store or £20 on Amazon) with the 412w and other Nextbase dashcams.

If you are not interested in the fitting then it's only a saving of approx a tenner since you get the lens along with it.

That said, I'm delighted to have a neat installation job and a free lens for approx the same price as the dash cam on its own from Amazon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,842 ✭✭✭Soarer

Cheers handofdog.

What should you look for in a dashcam? Complete novice to these yokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Seems a good deal if you were about to buy one anyway.

I see no mention of it on their UK site though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,375 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If I was buying a dash cam I'd just get he highest video quality one from AliExpress. There's no call to be spending over hundred euro on one. You can get all the same features for less than half that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Isn’t the going rate for dashcam s not around 45?

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Are these Halfords lads qualified mechanics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I had a dashcam but soon got sick of the wires so this interests me. They really need to be inbuilt into cars like reversing cameras.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 73,364 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jimmy. wrote: »

No, they’re not. Nor do they need to be to fit a dash cam.

That said, I wouldn’t be 100% happy letting them loose on the interior of my car. Id trust them to fit bulbs and wipers, but dealing with a chain store like that if they break or mark something mightn’t be as straightforward as with a small company.

There is nothing mechanical about fitting an dash cam. Simply taking a feed from the fuse board probably using add-a-fuse and tucking the cable into the trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Orebro

I wouldn’t be letting these leaving cert age students loose in my car that’s for sure, especially if they’re going rooting in the fuse box.

Orebro wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be letting these leaving cert age students loose in my car that’s for sure, especially if they’re going rooting in the fuse box.
    It’s far from rocket science

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭ Scarlet Prickly Sewing

Orebro wrote: »

Have you a fear that one of them might be electrocuted?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wouldn't need to be. Especially considering most of the qualified mechanics I know and worked with over the years thought electrics were the devils work.

Either way, I prefer to do these things myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AuldDaysul

Much better value and quality than nextbase to be had. Check out Amazon or ebay for aukey, yi or any g1w variant dashcam.

I've got an aukey dr02d front and rear in mine, it's a great unit, both cameras record to a single card. Can be had on Amazon for around £100.

The g1w style can be got for around €30 or €40 and do the basics really well.

I don't know if Halfords hardwire there nextbase cameras in, I presume they just plug it into cigarette socket and stick to windscreen?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Inviere

I wouldn't let a Halfords staff member fit an air freshener to my car, let alone go poking around the fuseboard. I don't mean to be disrespectful to the lads/lassies, but some knowledge is required when it comes to jobs at the fuse board.
    ted1 wrote: »
    There is nothing mechanical about fitting an dash cam. Simply taking a feed from the fuse board probably using add-a-fuse and tucking the cable into the trim.

What feed? A permanent live? Or a switched/conditional live? Have they checked the existing fuse can handle the additional current? I'm sorry but you don't just jack a dashcam into the first live you find, you shouldn't anyway.

Inviere wrote: »
    I wouldn't let a Halfords staff member fit an air freshener to my car, let alone go poking around the fuseboard. I don't mean to be disrespectful to the lads/lassies, but some knowledge is required when it comes to jobs at the fuse board.

What feed? A permanent live? Or a switched/conditional live? Have they checked the existing fuse can handle the additional current? I'm sorry but you don't just jack a dashcam into the first live you find, you shouldn't anyway.

When did I say just jack it in?
    You find a ignition live, takes seconds with a meter.
    As for over loading an existing fuse , I specifically mentioned Add-a-fuse so you don’t use an existing circuit.

You are trying to over complicate something that’s not.
    I’ve a BEng in electronic engineer Along with a MSc and years of experience.

I've a next base camera fitted in my car. Similar offer to what's described here. But I got a free memory card as well if I recall.

Anyway, the fitting was done really well and clean. No visible wiring except about 2 inches at the top of the rear view mirror where the USB connects to the camera itself.

Really clean job. Would recommend them (this was in the drogheda store).

As for over loading an existing fuse , I specifically mentioned Add-a-fuse so you don’t use an existing circuit.

You're describing how to properly hardwire a dashcam, I'm aware of how to do it. My point is, I'm not going to trust Halfords staff have been properly trained in how to do it. There are risks in a bad installation, regardless of what you might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Alan30

I've a next base camera fitted in my car. Similar offer to what's described here. But I got a free memory card as well if I recall.

Anyway, the fitting was done really well and clean. No visible wiring except about 2 inches at the top of the rear view mirror where the USB connects to the camera itself.

Same experience here. Only a couple of inches of the cable visible. Had to wait a few days for installation as one one employee was trained to install. very need job. (Dundalk branch).

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

You are trying to over complicate something that’s not.
    I’ve a BEng in electronic engineer Along with a MSc and years of experience.

How would a so called Halfords mechanic distinguish between a switched live and a sensor voltage from an ecu for example?

I’ve various qualifications in electrical and car auto electrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

#metoo (Waterford)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,375 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Without being funny.

I wouldn't let a Halfords staff member near the interior of my car. The a pillar contains air bags the dash contains airbags and the roof lining is a mass of cables run from the automatic window sensors in the middle of the windscreen.

Having run various applications through various vehicles I've owned over the years from speakers to mics to gps antennas to radio enhancers . It can be a bit rocket sciencey to adequately remove the interior fittings run cables and insure that it is all fit back in place undamaged or without making a racket when you drive down the road.

Anyone who things it'll be grand doesnt like their vehicle much .

I'm sure these lads can find the fuse board .. the rest however can take hours to get right not something done in a half hour.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

In fairness to the OP, for this particular model, the price is pretty good when compared to online. What remains however is two recurring points, first being the price, the second being the ability fit yourself.

Regarding price, yes the overall price of dashcams has come down like many other electronic items that are coming out of China dirt cheap. That is not to say that all cheap cameras are good, but there are some known brands out there that have proven themselves at the lower end of the market. I got the Yi wide angle dashcam from Amazon for around £35 at the time, but is currently showing at about £48. I don't even record at the highest resolution, but still find the quality great, see my latest video below.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMV413mTmSA

Regarding the installation, there are two elements to consider, first being the power, second being the cables:
    1. In my case my Kia has x2 cigarette chargers connections and x1 USB slot, so I am currently utilising the USB for power. As my USB power comes on and off with the ignition, I don't have to modify or piggy back on any of the fuses or cabling within the car. Once the camera detects power, it automatically starts recording.
    2. Regarding installing and running the cables, this was done in about 10 minutes. I have the camera behind the rear-view mirror on the passenger side, so for every journey, it is not visible to me at all. The cable was very easily pushed in behind where the windscreen meets the roof headlining, then across to the A pillar. As before the cable very easily wedged in as it then trails down to the dash. From here it then loops around to the edge of the door and then down underneath where your knees are. A couple of cable ties as it then trials across to the centre console for power. The cabling is near invisible and was very easy to fit and has not moved in the 3 months that I have had it.

listermint wrote: »
    Without being funny.

I wouldn't let a Halfords staff member near the interior of my car. The a pillar contains air bags the dash contains airbags and the roof lining is a mass of cables run from the automatic window sensors in the middle of the windscreen.

Having run various applications through various vehicles I've owned over the years from speakers to mics to gps antennas to radio enhancers . It can be a bit rocket sciencey to adequately remove the interior fittings run cables and insure that it is all fit back in place undamaged or without making a racket when you drive down the road.

Anyone who things it'll be grand doesnt like their vehicle much .

I'm sure these lads can find the fuse board .. the rest however can take hours to get right not something done in a half hour.

You dontt have remove any linings , you can tuck in a cable very easily without doing any of the such.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Jimmy. wrote:
    How would a so called Halfords mechanic distinguish between a switched live and a sensor voltage from an ecu for example?

No need. Run wiring behind the cigarette lighter and splice the power cable.

No need. Run wiring behind the cigarette lighter and splice the power cable.

Some people just like to be awkward and try to complicate things.

I’m sure that they just look up the fuse references, I’m sure Halfords being such a large chain have the legend for nearly all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Ron Scott

No available fitting appointments in Halfords Cork until the end of October

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

do these cameras have to be wired to a fuse box,

goat2 wrote: »
    do these cameras have to be wired to a fuse box,

Not necessarily. My car has a handy cigarette lighter socket in the console under the arm rest. So I just routed and hid the cable from mine up under the roof lining, down under the a-pillar trim, underneath the footwell panels, into the center console, & down under the center cowlings and into the console under the arm rest. I just use it with the supplied power adapter, and luckily it's a switched live so it turns on with ignition, and off when keys are out. All cabling hid, easily removable if needs be, no splicing cables required.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Ron Scott wrote: »
    No available fitting appointments in Halfords Cork until the end of October

Jesus, that's a bit of a disaster if a customer is relying on them to install it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I’ve various qualifications in electrical and car auto electrics.

The fusebox will have a legend and they probably just look for the cigarette lighter feed. It's not rocket surgery.

Advertisement