Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heatons hypermarket closing down

• 21-09-2018 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

I was very surprised to see big "closing down" signs up in the windows of Heatons this evening. Does anyone know why they're closing down? Is there any replacement business planned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Wut? They only have the place a makeover a while ago. Seems odd as they are part of chain.

Another thread about Heatons closing from a few back

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057862502

Twitter machine sez Thurles is closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Yeah, there's big signs done with marker - 20% off, closing down sale. It doesn't look "official" if you get me, the signs are all on plain sheets of paper, looks like they were just thrown up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Heatons in mallow closed down in July.

Still open.

Sold all stock.
    Closed for a week or two to restock

Reopened
    As plenty of interest during the closing down sale and I got two cheap shirts and a cheap pair runners.

Was more a clearance sale

Hmmm almost sounds like a very bad marketing ploy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

With 2 Heatons in Waterford, maybe keep the other Heatons and turn this into Sports Direct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Heatons are rebranding across the country as Brand Max and sports direct

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

JohnC. wrote:
    With 2 Heatons in Waterford, maybe keep the other Heatons and turn this into Sports Direct?

Yep, this is what's happening. Lisduggan will stay as Heatons and the Hyper will be Sports Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

smaoifs wrote: »
    Yep, this is what's happening. Lisduggan will stay as Heatons and the Hyper will be Sports Direct.

The whole unit in Hyper is pretty big. Don't think Sports Direct would need all that space?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭extrapolate

I was in there and got something that was part of the closing down sale. The things that were included in the closing down sale were 20% off the marked price. On the receipt the 20% reduction went through tagged as "HEATONS REFIT". So I think it would be a fair guess to say they will be staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭dzilla

iseegirls wrote: »
    The whole unit in Hyper is pretty big. Don't think Sports Direct would need all that space?

Sportsdirect are ginormous.

I have been in Uk sports direct the size of the whole hypermarket upstairs and down stairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭uncommon_name

I wouldn't be surprised if it is just to clear all stock for new stuff. Shops do this a lot on the sly.
    Also as Heatons, sports direct, sports world etc... are all part of the one chain, it wouldn't surprise me if they open is as a sports direct like they did in Carrickmines. That store is so much better now with better quality and nicer products and a much larger range.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

I wouldn't be surprised if it is just to clear all stock for new stuff. Shops do this a lot on the sly.
    Also as Heatons, sports direct, sports world etc... are all part of the one chain, it wouldn't surprise me if they open is as a sports direct like they did in Carrickmines. That store is so much better now with better quality and nicer products and a much larger range.

Was up there Saturday, asked the assistant, said Sports Direct were going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

They done the same in Wexford and Kilkenny. The Wexford store is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Good news in fairness. Sports Direct are a great store and will show up the likes of Lifestyle/JD etc for the overpriced chancers they are. Certainly a better addition than 2 Heatons both selling the same gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Same craic happened in Limerick last year. Just reopened as Sports Direct and some other thing that sells non sports clothes.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    Good news in fairness. Sports Direct are a great store and will show up the likes of Lifestyle/JD etc for the overpriced chancers they are. Certainly a better addition than 2 Heatons both selling the same gear.

I agree. It is good to see them expand to bigger stores. To be fair tho they are cheap on some stuff yet they can be still pricey on bigger name brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

It ll be good to see the staff in these stores being looked after better to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

engiweirdo wrote: »

Is sports direct not already up in the hyper? Are they just taking over the whole unit is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭lollsangel

Wut? They only have the place a makeover a while ago. Seems odd as they are part of chain.

Another thread about Heatons closing from a few back

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057862502

Twitter machine sez Thurles is closing.

Yea thurles fully closed last week

debok wrote: »
    Is sports direct not already up in the hyper? Are they just taking over the whole unit is it?

Yeah they were. Mike Ashley bought out Heatons some time ago after alot of back and forth negotiations and now that he owns them he is changing them to full SportsDirect stores. Personally i think it is good to see as they have some good stuff and it is a vote of confidence in Ireland that he is investing as much as he is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It ll be good to see the staff in these stores being looked after better to!

Same company, only difference is the name over the door and the stock.

Heatons
    Usc
    Sports direct
    Brand maxx

And now House of fraser too

All one company - Sports Direct Plc

CeilingFly wrote:
    Same company, only difference is the name over the door and the stock.

Ah bit of tongue and cheek, sports direct have been found to treat their staff like ****e in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ah bit of tongue and cheek, sports direct have been found to treat their staff like ****e in the past.

One or two of the women working in Heatons treat their customers like crap too.

Wanderer v Wanderer

latest?cb=20160719222445

maybe if workers were treated with a bit of respect they might in turn treat customers with a bit more respect

Downstairs is worse. A couple of women on the checkouts in supervalu can be very ignorant and slow. They seem to chat amongst themselves more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

alta stare wrote: »
    Downstairs is worse. A couple of women on the checkouts in supervalu can be very ignorant and slow. They seem to chat amongst themselves more than anything.

Can't speak for ignorance but my god they are so slow... It's the closest brand shop (not an Aldi/Lidl) to me so I do go there but when they did their revamp at the tills I was so disappointed not to see self-scan checkouts!

I love going to Aldi in the Glen afterwards as they literally fire the stuff through the tills. That's the way to get through the customers quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

lassykk wrote: »
    Can't speak for ignorance but my god they are so slow... It's the closest brand shop (not an Aldi/Lidl) to me so I do go there but when they did their revamp at the tills I was so disappointed not to see self-scan checkouts!

I love going to Aldi in the Glen afterwards as they literally fire the stuff through the tills. That's the way to get through the customers quickly!

My absolute favourite is when people shop in Lidl/Aldi and behave like they are in Dunnes/Supervalu- slowly pack bag at till, fiddle for purse at last minute then pay with card, treat card machine like some brand new piece of complicated technology.......Urgh, just take your **** and f off please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Management in the Hypermarket must be very weak, it took them years to move this absolute wagon of a one off the tills and I think shes at the deli counter now, she should have been fired years ago. Miserable bitter cow is all she is and she took it out on the customers. I stopped going to that till years ago- either too slow or service very sour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Management in the Hypermarket must be very weak, it took them years to move this absolute wagon of a one off the tills and I think shes at the deli counter now, she should have been fired years ago. Miserable bitter cow is all she is and she took it out on the customers. I stopped going to that till years ago- either too slow or service very sour.
    I know of whom you speak and she is without doubt the worst person ever to serve in any shop and to think of all the decent people without a job who would do that job 100 times better.

Advertisement