Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Ulster, Sat 29 Sep, 7:35pm, Eir Sports

• 28-09-2018 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Joey Carbery, Alby Mathewson;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Tadhg Beirne, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, James Cronin, Ciaran Parker, Jean Kleyn, Arno Botha, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Sammy Arnold.

Ulster:
    (15-9): Peter Nelson, Craig Gilroy, Darren Cave, Angus Curtis, Angus Kernohan, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8): Andrew Warwick, Adam McBurney, Ross Kane, Alan O’Connor (Capt), Iain Henderson, Matthew Rea, Nick Timoney, Jean Deysel.

Replacements: John Andrew, Eric O’Sullivan, Tom O’Toole, Kieran Treadwell, Clive Ross, Dave Shanahan, Michael Lowry, James Hume.

Munster host the only remaining unbeaten team in the Pro14. The home side will be looking to their home patch to bounce back from some very questionable away form, with defeats in Cardiff and Glasgow. Munster welcome back Billy Holland and Niall Scannell from injury with Alby Mathewson making his debut at scrum-half. Sammy Arnold's selection ahead of Jaco Taute on the bench could point to Arnold being the preferred centre partner with Rory Scannell come Europe. The back three selection of Earls-Haley-Conway could be a dress rehearsal for the games ahead.

I don't get to see much of Ulster so I'll allow someone else to chime in on them! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Scythica

Ulster on the other hand are looking to get everyone off the match bus without another injury

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I know Ulster had injuries, but that looks a very weak team. Another big home win for Munster that answers absolutely no questions is on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Big game for Munster. Curious to see Mathewson in action. Great to see Scannell (N) (hopefully that sorts lineout issues) and Earls back. I'd imagine we'll see a similar looking side over the next couple of weeks (Arnold slotting into centre, as thomond said). Some power coming off the bench with Kleyn and Botha in particular.

🤪

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Cloete out of the 23, wonder will TOD get the nod over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Big game for Munster. Curious to see Mathewson in action. Great to see Scannell (N) (hopefully that sorts lineout issues) and Earls back. I'd imagine we'll see a similar looking side over the next couple of weeks (Arnold slotting into centre, as thomond said). Some power coming off the bench with Kleyn and Botha in particular.
    aloooof wrote: »

Not a hope I'd say. Cloete offers far too much to be left out. Lethal at rucks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I know Ulster had injuries, but that looks a very weak team. Another big home win for Munster that answers absolutely no questions is on the cards.

Here's our "out injured team".

1) Kyle McCall
    2) Rory Best
    3) Marty Moore
    4) Peter Browne
    5) N/A
    6) Jordi Murphy
    7) Sean Reidy
    8) Marcell Coetzee
    9) N/A
    10) N/A
    11) Jacob Stockdale
    12) Luke Marshall
    13) Louis Ludik
    14) Rob Lyttle
    15) Will Addison
    16) Rob Herring
    17) Tommy O'Hagan
    18) Wiehann Herbst
    19) N/A
    20) Chris Henry
    21) N/A
    22) N/A
    23) Henry Speight

And McCloskey's rested.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

aloooof wrote: »

Rested I'd say. He's an absolute certainty to start in Europe IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Sorry, yeah, Cloete looks like a shoe-in. Does TOD then fall out altogether. Taute to bench to cover centre and 15? Or will Keatley cover 15. Some interesting calls to be made, which is a nice problem to have. Although, a problem for another week :)

Hopefully we'll see the intensity and focus from the off until the final whistle goes. Some serious questions being asked about team and VG after the two defeats. But we need to see the response not only this week, but in the coming big games (and the ones that are less of a focal point too).

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Sorry, yeah, Cloete looks like a shoe-in. Does TOD then fall out altogether. Taute to bench to cover centre and 15? Or will Keatley cover 15. Some interesting calls to be made, which is a nice problem to have. Although, a problem for another week :)

Hopefully we'll see the intensity and focus from the off until the final whistle goes. Some serious questions being asked about team and VG after the two defeats. But we need to see the response not only this week, but in the coming big games (and the ones that are less of a focal point too).

Taute looked off the pace against Cardiff. Arnold is ahead of him right now. Sweetnam might be the player for the #23 shirt.

First Munster cap for Alby Mathewson.

First potential (senior) Ulster cap for Lowry (and maybe Hume?) First starts for McBurney and Curtis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I'm not sure if McCloskey has picked up a knock but other than that (you can argue the toss at TH), that is our strongest available side.

I reckon Munster will win with a bit to spare, but I don't think we will get hammered either.

First Munster cap for Alby Mathewson.

First potential (senior) Ulster cap for Lowry (and maybe Hume?) First starts for McBurney and Curtis.

Yeah it will be a first cap for Hume if gets off the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

I'm actually loving this whole 'rebuilding' phase Ulster are going through - I can secretly dream of an Ulster win, and tell people I'm not crying because the loss was expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 odd_job

Where is McPhillips? Is he injured?

odd_job wrote: »
    Where is McPhillips? Is he injured?

No, starting for the "A"s.

Does McPhillips deserve to be relegated to third choice? He looked impressive last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I fear that Ulster are in for a good old fashioned humping and will need buckets of metaphoric lubricant putting out such a weakened team. At least this one is because there is little choice rather than the ludicrous 'not targetting a win' selections of Loser Les.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,601 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Does McPhillips deserve to be relegated to third choice? He looked impressive last season.

I don't think it's a case he's been relegated to third choice, just more a case that Lowry offers more versatility in the 22 shirt when an Ulster back player inevitably gets injured.

I suspect that that's why Curtis has featured ahead of him as well - obviously they're comfortable with him starting at 12 this week.

I think McFarland probably wanted to bed in his team at the start of the season, and start getting our first choice halfbacks used to playing together. McPhilips might start to feature in some of our easier home fixtures. I'd hate to see McPhilips stall because of Dan trying to be pragmatic about all the disruption and new combinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I don't think it's a case he's been relegated to third choice, just more a case that Lowry offers more versatility in the 22 shirt when an Ulster back player inevitably gets injured.

Also, it’s 80 minutes at 10 for the A team, versus possibly 15 minutes coming on for the Senior team, or maybe even subbing in at fullback.
    Better to play for the A team given that scenario.
    Do hope McPhillips gets a run for the Seniors soon, put some pressure on Burns, and in his own right deserves a shot to win the jersey after a few fine showings last season when the team needed a 10 to step forward.

• Advertisement

He does deserve a chance, but I guess McFarland has to do what's best for the team. Giving Burns and Cooney as much gametime together as possible is important.

The fact he didn't even get off the bench in SA is interesting, in fact but for late withdrawals before the Cheetahs match he wouldn't even have been in the 23.

I also suspect Curtis and particularly Lowry are very highly regarded so we will see what happens.

Munster:
    Andrew Conway; Keith Earls Dan Goggin, Rory Scannell, Alex Wootton ; Joey Carbery, Alby Mathewson;
    Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Tadhg Beirne, Billy Holland; Peter O’Mahony (C), Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, James Cronin, Ciaran Parker, Jean Kleyn, Arno Botha, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Sammy Arnold

Mike Haley ruled out. Wootton comes straight into the starting XV with Earls swopping wings and Conway moving to fullback.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,721 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Carbery out of leinster game then I wonder

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Carbery out of leinster game then I wonder

It would be a pity but it's pointing towards it. The question then is who starts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭snotboogie

this interviewer is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

snotboogie wrote: »
    this interviewer is shocking

She's terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

If anyone has a link for a non-eir subscriber I'd be grateful for a pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very, very poor attendance for a derby game at beer o'clock on a saturday

• Advertisement

More of this please!

Advertisement