Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans For New Stadium In Connacht

• 27-09-2018 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭

Talks the GAA want each province to have a landmark stadium Páirc Uí Chaoimh, Croke park, Casement Park and now a Connacht GAA headquarters in Galway city. GAA top brass are waiting on news of the Galway outer bypass route and hope to build along the river Corrib working along side the Government's new Land Development Agency in a massive redevelopment plan for the Dyke Road area.The GAA want a fully covered stadium holding between 20 and 30 thousand people and will be used to promote high quality league games in dry conditions.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Forum/Details/106295?Latest=1#Latest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Tuam stadium is in an ideal location for expansion and access from the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ratracer

flazio wrote: »
    Tuam stadium is in an ideal location for expansion and access from the motorway.

Tuam based co councillors will probably vote against it.... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Would be great if all codes could come together and build 1 sporting ground for both GAA and Rugby, but I guess that is wishful thinking?

How often are the main county GAA pitches used per year for matches/training, Gaelic Grounds, McHale Park, Semple Stadium, etc, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway city - > GAA
    When this moves from talks to actual plans changing the layout of the city then post in Galway city can be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

flazio wrote:

As long as they incorporate the current stand into the plans

• Advertisement

biko wrote:
    Galway city - > GAA When this moves from talks to actual plans changing the layout of the city then post in Galway city can be made.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

crusier wrote: »
    As long as they incorporate the current stand into the plans

Galway GAA are up to their Boll1x in debt after borrowing something like 3 million for a farm that's now worth 750 K. Is this a way to bail them out? Yea lads, let's reward these nuts with more money, they have a good record of fiscal good governance and project delivery.

I don't care how well its covered, a white elephant ground on the Atlantic coast a la Pearses stadium is crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Not the best idea Galway city is not centrally located in Connacht, Roscommon town more suited few miles from
    East Galway and few more from Mayo border Sligo and Leitrim both 30 mins away. Roscommon town is very close to Athlone and Longford so the midlands nearby etc.
    can be used as a Connacht venue but also a venue other parts of the country can access more freely

Why?
    The OP is a copy/paste of a post from another discussion forum. It has no credible value that anything actually will happen.
    As you see the first responses immediately start on locations outside the city.
    There is no connection here to the city other than the guesses of the OP/hoganstand poster.

Me, I'd say to build a landmark GAA stadium in Anthenry, if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

biko wrote: »
    The OP is a copy/paste of a post from another discussion forum. It has no credible value that anything actually will happen.
    As you see the first responses immediately start on locations outside the city.
    There is no connection here to the city other than the guesses of the OP/hoganstand poster.

Me, I'd say to build a landmark GAA stadium in Anthenry, if it happens.
    Why Athenry?
    I would have any stadium in city. It just seems crazy to not have largest stadium i the major population hub of the county

• Advertisement

If ever a a topic was relevant to Galway city this certainly is. Maybe it's a dislike of all things GAA that's your issue? You have expressed and opinion yet won't leave it for debate in the Galway forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fingal Raven1

After the debacle of the stadium in Cork I cant see the govt funding this one

does anybody know what grants the various county boards got over the last 20 years for stadium upgrades

Connaught rugby need a new stadium

Why Athenry?
    I would have any stadium in city. It just seems crazy to not have largest stadium i the major population hub of the county
    The traffic is mayhem as it is and it's good to spread the business to nearby locations.
    If ever a a topic was relevant to Galway city this certainly is. Maybe it's a dislike of all things GAA that's your issue? You have expressed and opinion yet won't leave it for debate in the Galway forum.
    For the city it is interesting when it actually happens as it will affect traffic etc
    Until anything happens it is just talk and since GAA forum exists it is better suited for the "what if's".
    If a similar discussion happened around soccer or rugby the thread would be moved to their respective forums too.

There is no other sources that the GAA actually wants this, just a post on hoganstand.
    Is it even true?

The traffic is mayhem as it is and it's good to spread the business to nearby locations.
    The population base and everything else for getting to games makes the city as the logical place for any stadium especially for concerts being held there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ridiculous waste of money. Surely Pearse and McHale park could be upgraded to all seater stadia with all the attendant facilities if they wish

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Fingal Raven1

Ridiculous waste of money. Surely Pearse and McHale park could be upgraded to all seater stadia with all the attendant facilities if they wish

did the state contribute towards McHale park?

For the city it is interesting when it actually happens as it will affect traffic etc
    Until anything happens it is just talk and since GAA forum exists it is better suited for the "what if's".
    If a similar discussion happened around soccer or rugby the thread would be moved to their respective forums too.

There is no other sources that the GAA actually wants this, just a post on hoganstand.
    Is it even true?
    It would be a huge waste of money to build some stadium in Athenry with Salthill and Tuam already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Would be great if all codes could come together and build 1 sporting ground for both GAA and Rugby, but I guess that is wishful thinking?

How often are the main county GAA pitches used per year for matches/training, Gaelic Grounds, McHale Park, Semple Stadium, etc, etc

Ticket master or live nation should get on board too.

Sorry OP but where is all this coming from? id a look at the Hogan link but no there are no sources or quotes etc :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Roscommon was chosen as provincial ground in the early 90s.

It got a semi decent upgrade at the time and then was forgotten about.I see very little has changed since so makes most sense to upgrade it again.

Not going to happen either way,it's a bull **** story.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Roscommon was chosen as provincial ground in the early 90s.

It got a semi decent upgrade at the time and then was forgotten about.I see very little has changed since so makes most sense to upgrade it again.

Not going to happen either way,it's a bull **** story.

Was voted through by Ross, Sligo and Leitrim iirc. Mayo and Galway were totally opposed and went ahead with their own redevelopments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

leestone wrote: »
    Not the best idea Galway city is not centrally located in Connacht, Roscommon town more suited few miles from
    East Galway and few more from Mayo border Sligo and Leitrim both 30 mins away. Roscommon town is very close to Athlone and Longford so the midlands nearby etc.
    can be used as a Connacht venue but also a venue other parts of the country can access more freely

Roscommon town has the distinct disadvantage of being in Roscommon however. Would be the same logic as having a Leinster stadium in Carlow as opposed to Dublin. Athenry as mentioned above does look a logical location

Was voted through by Ross, Sligo and Leitrim iirc. Mayo and Galway were totally opposed and went ahead with their own redevelopments

Mayo and Galway lost out and obviously weren't happy but Hyde park was still chosen by the majority.

Every CB knew what they were voting on and it should have gotten the support it was meant to.There was actually fairly impressive plans for it originally.

Roscommon is ideally situated to be upgraded.Centrally located and good access to the town.Its basically the centre point of the country so could be used for a lot more than just Connacht games.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Roscommon town has the distinct disadvantage of being in Roscommon however. Would be the same logic as having a Leinster stadium in Carlow as opposed to Dublin. Athenry as mentioned above does look a logical location

If you are going my that logic then any Connacht stadium should be built in Bekan. Iirc correctly that location was chosen for CoE as it was centrally located.

Why is Athenry a logical location?

If you are going my that logic then any Connacht stadium should be built in Bekan. Iirc correctly that location was chosen for CoE as it was centrally located.

Centrally located for what? Public transport links? Everyone to stay in Mary MC's B&B?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

And Bekan has the distinct advantage of being in hje home parish of the individual with the keys to the pursestrings for connacht GAA. Had little to do with logic.

And the same fella still has a major say in anything that happens in Connacht GAA.
    Bekan should never have been built but there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

And Bekan has the distinct advantage of being in hje home parish of the individual with the keys to the pursestrings for connacht GAA. Had little to do with logic.

Never presumed Eastern Gaels had any individual with such power in the Connacht camp, you sure it's not a Ballyhaunis individual?

Why is Athenry a logical location?

Because it's a thriving suburb to the main population centre of the province, on the instersection between two motorways and with ample public transport links. Not some random backwater.

• Advertisement

Mayo and Galway lost out and obviously weren't happy but Hyde park was still chosen by the majority.

Every CB knew what they were voting on and it should have gotten the support it was meant to.There was actually fairly impressive plans for it originally.

Roscommon is ideally situated to be upgraded.Centrally located and good access to the town.Its basically the centre point of the country so could be used for a lot more than just Connacht games.

Access, parking etc is terrible. Train station nearby alright.

Advertisement