Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GBBO 2018

Options
  • 06-09-2018 1:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Hope this isn't duplicating another post, haven't found one for 2018 yet. Whatcha think so far? Here is my tuppence worth.

No-one should have to leave over Biscuits!

I've stopped watching the Extra Slice this year. Thought it had got worse with the comedians this year who I didn't think were particularly funny.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've stopped watching the Extra Slice too, I really just can't be bothered with the comedians.

I was sorry to see Imelda go, but I know she had a bad week. I know it's a thing about 'showstoppers' but I hate when they put too much emphasis on artistic talents, like someone can be a fantastic baker, but not able to draw at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I have to admit I'm starting to go off it at this point. Not because of the show itself or the contestants, but the ad-breaks now seem to happen every 5 minutes and last for 10 minutes at a time. At this point, I'm considering just waiting until they show it on Netflix.

kylith wrote: »
    I've stopped watching the Extra Slice too, I really just can't be bothered with the comedians.

I was sorry to see Imelda go, but I know she had a bad week. I know it's a thing about 'showstoppers' but I hate when they put too much emphasis on artistic talents, like someone can be a fantastic baker, but not able to draw at all.

Completely with you on this one. While I agree that a good bake should look appealing, I'm actually usually put off by over-elaborate decorations. I appreciate the talent, but I really don't want to eat that. Showstopper is always my least favourite part of the show.

Shenshen wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm starting to go off it at this point. Not because of the show itself or the contestants, but the ad-breaks now seem to happen every 5 minutes and last for 10 minutes at a time. At this point, I'm considering just waiting until they show it on Netflix.

I got rid of my telly channels so I'm watching it on 4od. That's bloody painful. I'm thinking that from now on I 'won't' be torrenting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Oh I never watch it live anymore because of the ad breaks.....record and ff the breaks.  Am I the only one that can't stand Noel?? 
    Agree with others about the artistry on the showstopper - just because something looks fantastic, doesn't mean it tastes fantastic.  I think that's why some of the cakes are so bad - they're trying to do a million things and the cake is almost the forgotten element

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

chuckles30 wrote: »
    .....- they're trying to do a million things and the cake is almost the forgotten element

Absolutely agree with you. It's almost cake sculpting. I think the judges are just trying to think up more evil ways to try the nerves of the bakers, then they just stand back and smile their evil smiles. The baking is being forgotten and now its all about the game. I'd say Mel and Sue and Mary are glad they are no longer involved. I think Noel and Sandi are doing their best but its getting harder to pull it off. And now this........!!
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/05/great-british-bake-off-fans-reckon-they-caught-maron-lagreve-cheating-during-the-latest-showstopper-challenge-7916367/

Getting fed up with it now.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with you. It's almost cake sculpting. I think the judges are just trying to think up more evil ways to try the nerves of the bakers, then they just stand back and smile their evil smiles. The baking is being forgotten and now its all about the game. I'd say Mel and Sue and Mary are glad they are no longer involved. I think Noel and Sandi are doing their best but its getting harder to pull it off. And now this........!!
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/09/05/great-british-bake-off-fans-reckon-they-caught-maron-lagreve-cheating-during-the-latest-showstopper-challenge-7916367/

Getting fed up with it now.

How exactly is it cheating if the judges know?
    I expected her to be told off about it, possibly that had happened but been cut out, but something so obvious can hardly be cheating, can it?

How exactly is it cheating if the judges know?
    I expected her to be told off about it, possibly that had happened but been cut out, but something so obvious can hardly be cheating, can it?

I agree. If they know about it it wasn't cheating, and I really felt for all of them, having to work with chocolate in the heat of this summer. And something so tricky so early on seems mad; didn't chocolate work used to be a lot later in the series?

No it wasn't cheating but when these things are thrown about the media/internet it just sours everything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I can't watch it unless it's recorded, so I can flick through the ads. It's definitely losing its sparkle this year and if it wasn't for Sandy and Noel I don't think I'd watch at all. Paul seems to be more interested in looking witty for the cameras than anything else, and I found some of his comments way too harsh this week.

I do love some of this year's contestants though!

• Advertisement

I can't watch it unless it's recorded, so I can flick through the ads. It's definitely losing its sparkle this year and if it wasn't for Sandy and Noel I don't think I'd watch at all. Paul seems to be more interested in looking witty for the cameras than anything else, and I found some of his comments way too harsh this week.

I do love some of this year's contestants though!

This, very much. I wonder was it Mary who kept him grounded? Some of the conversations between them that you could see on the BBC did kind of hint at Mary having quite some influence on him, like a mentor perhaps. Not sure Pru can fill that gap. For all her colourful jewellery, I do find her a little on the bland side.

I love Noel, though :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I agree, Prue's no craic at all and Paul definitely behaved himself around Mary. I love Noel too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Birdsong

For anyone missing Mary and Mel & Sue, you can watch season 1-7 on Netflix. I am really enjoying season 1 at the moment, it was more about the bake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I've only watched up to the first ITV season, but I thought even then that Paul was taking major advantage of being the 'star' among the newbies - when he was with Mary, Mel and Sue, Mary used to shush him occasionally and the other two used to laugh at him a fair bit.

With the new set-up, it seemed to me that he wanted to effectively play every role - the 'friendly one', the 'funny one' AND the 'stern one' sometimes all in the same episode. Sounds like the new series has the same thing going on. Thing is, I actually quite like Paul as a judge, but his ego does seem to need a fair bit of squashing.

I watched the first five minutes of the second Extra Slice which I had recorded. When I saw PH hugging my favourite contestant Briony so tightly, I switched it off and deleted it from my planner list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Paul Hollywood is being Paul Hollywood, a smug know-it-all guy who actually does know it all. It is his job to be a bit of a d1ck. And honestly he was quite one in earlier seasons too but he is an everybody's darling and gets away with it. He certainly knows his stuff though so he's a judge for a reason.

I like Noel too, I always enjoy eclectic characters and he reminds me of a guy I went to school with who was equally hilarious.

I'm looking forward to tonight's show though, it's about bread and me being the worst baker in the world always loves to see others struggle with things I couldn't do any better myself :D

The 4OD site won't load for me so I can't see this week's episode :(

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Those biscuit chandeliers were very very impressive

Those biscuit chandeliers were very very impressive

You know when one of the contestants said he googled the term and there was nothing out there at all?

I've got a feeling there will be soon, they have potential of becoming the next big thing for birthdays and other kinds of parties.
    The really posh would hang it up right next to the chocolate fountain :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

You know when one of the contestants said he googled the term and there was nothing out there at all?

I've got a feeling there will be soon, they have potential of becoming the next big thing for birthdays and other kinds of parties.

Off to Dragons Den with ya Shenshen. This time next year you could be a millionaire :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

That's funny. It'll be a long time (never) before there's either made in my house!! The one Dan made with the butterflies would've been perfect for a birthday party for children

I thought exactly the same! Coming soon to Pinterest, no doubt :D I loved Kim Joy's, her attention to detail and her piping was just gorgeous.

I don't know why but I just can't warm to Manon.

Kim Joy's was fabulous, she's very artistic. I bet the biscuit chandeliers will definitely take off now :)

Not impressed with the idea atall atall! Lots of bickies dangling from a frame! Naw, not for me. I guessed the two who would be going correctly though.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Not impressed with the idea atall atall! Lots of bickies dangling from a frame! Naw, not for me. I guessed the two who would be going correctly though.

I'd never make one, but I'd be willing to eat one :)

I'm delighted that pair have gone.

Did the judges actually judge Briony's pastry in her showstopper? I don't think so. (Sorry, if you read my post earlier I originally said Manon by mistake)

I was amazed at the whiteness of the vegan meringues. My egg meringues are never white, or is there a tip I should know of?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've never made egg meringues but I've never seen an aquafaba meringue look any different than theirs. That stuff is magical, no idea how somebody thought to use it. It's also good for making your own mayo, or in your own bread like brioche.

Where would one find aquafaba if one was to look for it? :) I fancy giving it a go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just buy any tin of chickpeas and take them out (39 cent in tesco), the liquid left is aquafaba plus you have some chickpeas to use, haha!
    It's used in a load of things, some pictures here https://www.vegansociety.com/whats-new/blog/20-amazing-things-you-can-do-aquafaba

There's also a group on facebook about it if you need any tips, that's where it was first created!

Advertisement