Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South-East Health - Primetime

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Rodin wrote: »
    CUH to the airport is 10mins and that's in a car with no blue lights.

Ok , say 5 minutes, 120 min total/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

That's just to build the lab. Recurrent staffing costs have to be included too and will be the biggest cost.

The second lab is going ahead, the issue is staffing for the hours 5-9am and weekends.

A helicoptor lease and paying helicoptor staff on call would be a similar cost.
    the new emergency helicoptor in Kerry costs 2 million a year to run ( excluding the cost of the HSE paramedics)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

I am very familiar with it and the independent report that says a 2nd lab is not needed.
    I am also aware of the tragic death that was hijacked in pushing the agent forward and the subsequent report that said no Cath lab could have saved that man.

probably the most factual thing in the whole thread. it was and still is a disgrace that certain campaigners still push this agenda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Yeh that was/is wrong to use that poor mans death. But maybe I'm wrong but was the first rally that his death was used for organised by his grieving sister. At the time a senior cardiologist in hospital said his death had nothing to di with the cath lab situation but people ignored him. I think the media jumped on it then and it got out of hand very quickly. Still doesn't take away from the needs of the area but it can be used as a stick to beat down the whole issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

debok wrote: »
    Yeh that was/is wrong to use that poor mans death. But maybe I'm wrong but was the first rally that his death was used for organised by his grieving sister. At the time a senior cardiologist in hospital said his death had nothing to di with the cath lab situation but people ignored him. I think the media jumped on it then and it got out of hand very quickly. Still doesn't take away from the needs of the area but it can be used as a stick to beat down the whole issue.

I realise this, but how did they miss what was happening to him? Would he still have had to have been sent down to cork because they could not provide him treatment in Waterford even if he was diagnosed properly?

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote: »
    I realise this, but how did they miss what was happening to him? Would he still have had to have been sent down to cork because they could not provide him treatment in Waterford even if he was diagnosed properly?

I think he could have had heart attack on the the table in the lab in cork and he still wouldn't have been saved. Different types of heart attacks cause different damage. Could have all the best labs and staff some attacks just can't be saved. I dont think they missed what was happening sometimes the damage to heart is too far gone

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

''In addition, the report revealed that the average transfer times from Kilkenny to Dublin is “nowhere near the 88 minutes claimed in the Herity Report”, said SEPAG, “and in fact it is two hours 25 minutes, from UHW to CUH comes in at two hours 26 minutes, while the journey from Wexford to Dublin came to two and a half hours.''

Had a look at SEPAG's figures.
    Average transfer time from Waterford City to Cork City is almost 2 1/2 hours? This of course is between 5pm and 9 am and at weekends.
    What exactly are they driving?

Imagine they're including all the time it takes to stabilize and load/unload a patient. I doubt it's as simple as throwing someone in an ambulance and put the foot down!

road_high wrote: »
    Imagine they're including all the time it takes to stabilize and load/unload a patient. I doubt it's as simple as throwing someone in an ambulance and put the foot down!

It's all explained in the prime time show which the thread was set up for .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Primetime doesn't have a good record when it comes to accuracy and full disclosure of facts when it comes to medical matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Bards

Primetime doesn't have a good record when it comes to accuracy and full disclosure of facts when it comes to medical matters.
    Neither does the HSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Don't worry Rodin, fight hard enough and you can have your very own botched HSE Report!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

bump

https://www.facebook.com/MaryButlerTD/posts/1952133844895098
    JOINT STATEMENT FROM WATERFORD OIREACHTAS MEMBERS

Full steam ahead for second cath lab as HSE signs off on €4.75 million funding

Capital funding of €4.75 million has been approved by the HSE to construct a second cath lab and associated day ward at University Hospital Waterford, local Oireachtas members have confirmed.

At the November meeting of the HSE’s National Capital and Property Steering Committee meeting, it was agreed to proceed with the construction of the new cath lab above the existing ground floor Cardiology Department at UHW. The two labs will be connected via a lift and stairs and a new recovery/ day ward for cardiology patients will also be provided on the first floor. The new lab will take 12 to 16 months to design and construct, while the mobile lab currently delivering diagnostics at UHW will remain on site in the interim.

Recruitment of necessary staff will take place during construction so that, on completion, there is no delay in the lab becoming operational. Furthermore, recruitment for additional staff to extend the interventional services at the existing lab to 8am-8pm, Monday to Friday, is at an advanced stage. Five staff (Grade IV Admin, Porter, Snr Cardiac Physiologist, Senior Radiographer and Staff Nurse) have now been recruited on an 8am to 8pm working day basis. Documentation is also being finalised for the recruitment of a consultant cardiologist required to facilitate the provision of additional operating hours.

Waterford’s Oireachtas members have received assurances from senior HSE management that every effort will be made to accelerate construction

Excellent news

building a second cath lab means 24/7

Gardner wrote: »
    Excellent news

building a second cath lab means 24/7
    Not necessarily... To have 24*7 you need a second Cath Lab but just because there is a 2nd Cath Lab does not automatically mean 24*7 provision

No it doesn't - you need the staff and they are not funding 24 hour cover.

though is bit is ambiguous
    Five staff (Grade IV Admin, Porter, Snr Cardiac Physiologist, Senior Radiographer and Staff Nurse) have now been recruited on an 8am to 8pm working day basis. Documentation is also being finalised for the recruitment of a consultant cardiologist required to facilitate the provision of additional operating hours.

presumably that refers to the extra hours between 8 and 8, not hours outside that timespan.

Bards wrote: »
    Not necessarily... To have 24*7 you need a second Cath Lab but just because there is a 2nd Cath Lab does not automatically mean 24*7 provision

seriously! there not building a second cath lab just for the sake of it and to run it intermittently along with the other lab. the business case behind the 2nd cath lab was for it to run 24/7. jesus wept :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

How long before they figure out maybe surgeons dont want to move to Waterford for a permanent position as they would need to then incur the expense down the line of sending their children to Dublin, Cork, Limerick or Galway to attend university. Wouldnt completely rule it out as a consideration tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

engiweirdo wrote: »
    How long before they figure out maybe surgeons dont want to move to Waterford for a permanent position as they would need to then incur the expense down the line of sending their children to Dublin, Cork, Limerick or Galway to attend university. Wouldnt completely rule it out as a consideration tbh.

Yeah, I guess they would not be paid enough to allow them to send their kids to whatever educational establishment they wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

What!?

Cardiologist earns about 200k a year I think.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I guess they would not be paid enough to allow them to send their kids to whatever educational establishment they wished.
    Why the problems with hiring in regional locations specifically so?
    They might look to be on big money but fees + accommodation is a fair chunk. Could save on a large portion of it by having the option available locally.

I'd say its because there's no burger king here or marks and spencer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭hardybuck

They might look to be on big money but fees + accommodation is a fair chunk. Could save on a large portion of it by having the option available locally.

Cardiologists in Ireland earn on average €225k a year, as Irish consultants are among the best paid in the world.

Some may have a preference for living in nicer parts of Dublin that are very exclusive and there are more people in their wage bracket.

Some may prefer working in some of the centres of excellence so they might have a better change to advance their careers.

Some may have gone to University in another city, liked it and wanted to stay there, or met a spouse from the area who wanted to stay there.

But not taking a consultant position because of the fees to send their child to college in another city - come on lad.

There's always someone here to do us down - it's like a reflex action.

hardybuck wrote: »

Cardiologists in Ireland earn on average €225k a year, as Irish consultants are among the best paid in the world.

Some may have a preference for living in nicer parts of Dublin that are very exclusive and there are more people in their wage bracket.

Some may prefer working in some of the centres of excellence so they might have a better change to advance their careers.

Some may have gone to University in another city, liked it and wanted to stay there, or met a spouse from the area who wanted to stay there.

But not taking a consultant position because of the fees to send their child to college in another city - come on lad.

Leaving out the centre of excellence part, a lot of the rest is directly/indirectly related to lack of university. Less "exclusive" areas down to less highly paid positions, wouldnt/couldnt have attended university in the city. All collaborating negative factors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

I can't say I share people's optimism about this development. It has all the classic hallmarks of delay and obfuscation with which we are plagued. First we wait for the consultant's report, then we wait for Govt to digest the contents, then we take to the streets, then they say they will build something 'next year' that still requires us to have heart-attacks between Monday and Friday. The good news is next year we can have our tea first and then go blue but if you are clueless enough to wait until 8 O'Clock for your heart attack, pack your bags for Cork.

Well what if was cancelled would you feel better about it? When the lab is built the hours can be expanded in the future.

Well what if was cancelled would you feel better about it? When the lab is built the hours can be expanded in the future.
    Or they can always use it to house another Dept... Remember the HSE is answerable to no one but themselves...

When we have 24*7 then I'll believe it, but not before then

I doubt even the HSE will spend 5 million on something this politically senstive to junk it later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭azimuth17

There are already something of the order of 120 consultants employed in UHW. Recruitment has been a problem to all hospitals everywhere in the country because of the revised and lower consultants pay scale. The HEFSE page on Facebook is bang on the money about cardiology at UHW and it has state don many times that the HSE failed to find a consultant cardiologist to do part time work at UHW , because no such skilled person would work part time. They are seeking a full time cardiologist now and I understand from HEFSE that there is an applicant ready to go. The post by Engiweirdo is dross. Several other posts on the cardiology topic exhibit a complete misunderstanding of what is needed and what is being done.

Advertisement