Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bloods at Waterford hospital query

• 19-09-2018 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if the bloods are done on a "walk in" basis, I need some taken for a consultation next week. Yes I could phone but I'd sooner not spend 20 minutes in a queue with a mobile.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Does anyone know if the bloods are done on a "walk in" basis, I need some taken for a consultation next week. Yes I could phone but I'd sooner not spend 20 minutes in a queue with a mobile.

surely a gp or even whitfield would do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭invara

As far as I know, this is a GP thing- or you need a referral from a service in the hospital. Try ringing them: https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/acutehospitals/hospitals/waterford/laboratoryservices/phlebotomy-service.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As I say I have a consultant examination so yes I have a piece of paper I just wanted to know if I needed to make an appointment for the blood samples. Said piece of paper doesn't give any help just says get bloods a week beforehand.

(GP charges 35 euro for bloods)

As I say I have a consultant examination so yes I have a piece of paper I just wanted to know if I needed to make an appointment for the blood samples. Said piece of paper doesn't give any help just says get bloods a week beforehand.

(GP charges 35 euro for bloods)

i reckon you ll just be directed towards your gp, might be worth a try though, if you re willing to wait

Okay just called, and I have to get them done with my GP - I remember when (years ago) I could get them done at the WRH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Even with a letter, you'd have to take a ticket and wait for bloods to be taken at the hospital. Could be there a while, GP probably a better option. €35 seems a bit high, if there's a nurse, ask if he/she can take them. If you drop the bloods to the hospital, it might be cheaper, you are usually charged for courier / transport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭barraseaclaid

@harrypalmr

If you just have a referral letter from hospital and not specifically a blood sciences/pathology request form then you will have to arrange for the bloods to be taken by your GP. If they try and charge a courier fee you could opt to drop them out to the lab yourself I guess.

If you in fact do have a request form (e.g. green and white form) with tests requested you can go into phlebotomy and as other people have said you take a ticket and wait but I don't think it's that bad of a wait up there

This is the info page for phlebotomy dept.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/3/acutehospitals/hospitals/waterford/laboratoryservices/phlebotomy-service.html

Their phone no is 051- 842677

(Source: I work in the lab)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The wait times aren't too bad to get the bloods done there, as others have said just take a ticket and wait.

I think i was waiting maybe 25 minutes the last time i was there.

eeloe wrote:
    I think i was waiting maybe 25 minutes the last time i was there.

Was amazed at how quickly A&E dealt with a minor injury a couple of weeks ago, all sorted within 45 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Just wondering why you call it Waterford Hospital? Ardkeen, WRH or proper name UHW would be more appropriate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Mulbert

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Just wondering why you call it Waterford Hospital? Ardkeen, WRH or proper name UHW would be more appropriate?

You should open a new thread azimuth, in order to get a full explanation.

I only call it Ardkeen, if someone says I'm going up to Arkdeen I know where they mean before they mention something to do with health.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Iwouldinmesack

Got bloods taken by nurse to check for immunity, was only ten euro, up in kilcohan, about three months ago.

Advertisement