Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Stadium Standards

Comments

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Give me Thurles and Navan any day rather than some soulless dump like Salthill. Which ironically is outside the city and possibly the worst place to get in and out of on a match day, even when Dub hurlers are playing and there's maybe 3,000 there. Perfect location imho is Nowlan Park, and nice enough seating if you are into all that! Tullamore is good spot too. Perfect for a lot of Leinster SHC games. Gives Galway some bit of a break!

Ballinasloe would have been surely the best place for Galway to develop a county ground? Just off a motorway on the main Dublin Road, shaves a good hour extra off the journey to Salthill and convenient in terms of both the hurling and football population?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Whatever happened to walking? Most times I go to Thurles we park on the Dublin road side of the town and walk the rest of the way, interrupted by several beverage stops. You can't park anywhere near Croke Park either but no-one whinges about it. Just enjoy the mingling with the masses!

BTW, Salthill is a suburb of the city so hardly in "middle of nowhere." It does, or should, serve a warning to anyone like DCB planning to build a similar suburban stadium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Personally I much prefer ground that are in town centre, or near it.

Ballinasloe would never have been considered for a stadium as it's right on the east of the county - it's a big trek from some parts of Connemara to get there. Athenry would have been better suited perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

The decision to do up Pearse Stadium was a horrific political decision and as a result Galway is a mess in terms of grounds. Tuam is a dump and would require a massive investment to bring it anyway up to spec. Athenry is the home of hurling and great for club matches but is no way fit to hold any major game. Ballinasloe is a good pitch and has lights but the place is in a crazy state of disrepair.

I really like Tullamore as a venue. Nice ground, good pitch, it's a 2 minute walk into town and it's easy enough escape from after the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The decision to do up Pearse Stadium was a horrific political decision and as a result Galway is a mess in terms of grounds. Tuam is a dump and would require a massive investment to bring it anyway up to spec. Athenry is the home of hurling and great for club matches but is no way fit to hold any major game. Ballinasloe is a good pitch and has lights but the place is in a crazy state of disrepair.

I really like Tullamore as a venue. Nice ground, good pitch, it's a 2 minute walk into town and it's easy enough escape from after the game.

Also would be one of my favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

Ballinasloe would have been surely the best place for Galway to develop a county ground? Just off a motorway on the main Dublin Road, shaves a good hour extra off the journey to Salthill and convenient in terms of both the hurling and football population?

Nope, Athenry is the ideal place and should still be done. Apex of 2 motorways. Dead centre of the hurling and football heartlands. Easily commutable from Galway city. Sell Pearse, put a top class pitch in athenry and put a 15000 seater stadium with good facilities around. Short walk into town centre and area to develop parking closeby.

What is wrong with having all seats in a ground. Did i say it would help their results on the field. It wont but it can help in other ways if its a better facility for everyone going to games.

Meaths first priority should be with the development of their players. Yes Navan is an absolute kip at present but all seater, state of the art ground could cost unbelievable money. Money that could and should be put into player development.

Yes do up the ground by all means and install floodlighting fair enough but spunking millions in a ground that will only be used a couple of times a year is absolute madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Condenser wrote: »
    Nope, Athenry is the ideal place and should still be done. Apex of 2 motorways. Dead centre of the hurling and football heartlands. Easily commutable from Galway city. Sell Pearse, put a top class pitch in athenry and put a 15000 seater stadium with good facilities around. Short walk into town centre and area to develop parking closeby.

In an ideal world you'd be right but I think any talk of stadium investment in Galway will be clouded by the possibility of holding concerts, especially with the new calendar leaving April and most of August and September open even if the footballers were able to make the Super Eights consistently. Most likely the County Board will be content to make some minor improvements to Tuam, Athenry and Balinasloe while still hoping to develop a goose that lays golden eggs in Galway city once the proposed ring road gets the go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CK22

Ok just getting this going again. I was in the Town End in Thurles on Sunday, and look, you can’t beat a Munster Final in Thurles, but I felt at risk at times. There was plenty of occasions where people were pushed and created a Hillsborough-like scenario. I was lucky that I was at the top of the terrace, but I would fear that someday at a big match, those rails are going to buckle and problems will occur. Semple is outdated and I would not be confident in the future. Even the fact that when leaving the Town End, you are going down a slope, rather than steps. I’m in favour of keeping terraces, but I think that rail seating needs to be considered as a safer alternative to the traditional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Jim Bowen

CK22 wrote: »
    Ok just getting this going again. I was in the Town End in Thurles on Sunday, and look, you can’t beat a Munster Final in Thurles, but I felt at risk at times. There was plenty of occasions where people were pushed and created a Hillsborough-like scenario. I was lucky that I was at the top of the terrace, but I would fear that someday at a big match, those rails are going to buckle and problems will occur. Semple is outdated and I would not be confident in the future. Even the fact that when leaving the Town End, you are going down a slope, rather than steps. I’m in favour of keeping terraces, but I think that rail seating needs to be considered as a safer alternative to the traditional.
    I wonder how the new terracing in Cork compares? Haven't stood on it yet.

Interesting watching the Liam Miller match in PUC. A few interesting things that could be introduced to the GAA. Big screens in stadiums and electronic advertising boards. Just added some more professionalism. I know Croker has the screens, and sometimes Thurles, Clones and the Hyde have big screens on bigger days. Also the fact that people were given an allocated area of the terraces. For most games, it doesn’t really matter with small crowds, but for big days on the Hill or Town End, it might help congestion around the centre of a terrace behind the goals.

Let's hope that its the last time a GAA pitch is defiled by them.

Next time they come begging to the "dinosaurs" they should be told where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Let's hope that its the last time a GAA pitch is defiled by them.

Next time they come begging to the "dinosaurs" they should be told where to go.

Who are they? Organisers of a charity event? I see.

The Delaney gang. Lots of GAA players who would be deserving of a charity game, and they weren't on thousands of £ a week.

Whole thing is cat's paw to open up more grounds to the parasites.

Watch that space ….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Who are they? Organisers of a charity event? I see.

We were told loads of time during the drama about all this that this was a charity event and had nothing to do with the FAI

Oh but look here, who's logo is this on some official documentation about the event ?

Dn2FTmxWkAE6wU9.jpg

The Delaney gang. Lots of GAA players who would be deserving of a charity game, and they weren't on thousands of £ a week.

Whole thing is cat's paw to open up more grounds to the parasites.

Watch that space ….

The GAA need to be strong now and draw a good solid line under it. It was put as all about the charity for weeks which was fine, but now it's done and dusted.

We were told loads of time during the drama about all this that this was a charity event and had nothing to do with the FAI

Oh but look here, who's logo is this on some official documentation about the event ?

Dn2FTmxWkAE6wU9.jpg

In fairness on that one I'd say that is just because it was a Rep Ireland/Celtic joint team and that's the crest of the team as opposed to the association. Same as Celtic and Man Utd weren't organisers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Patww79 wrote: »
    In fairness on that one I'd say that is just because it was a Rep Ireland/Celtic joint team and that's the crest of the team as opposed to the association. Same as Celtic and Man Utd weren't organisers either.

Fair enough I suppose.

I did not know that it was ROI/Celtic, thoughtit was just Celtic.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,716 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

In fairness not many GAA stadiums are fit to host other sports

Ones that are capabile are Croke Park, PUC (who have officially done it), Semple Stadium is a bit of a kip, see no reason why Pearse Stadium or Gaelic Grounds would host a soccer match

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    In fairness not many GAA stadiums are fit to host other sports

Ones that are capabile are Croke Park, PUC (who have officially done it), Semple Stadium is a bit of a kip, see no reason why Pearse Stadium or Gaelic Grounds would host a soccer match

Have you seen any FAI grounds lately! They are all dumps. Which is why they are now trying again to get their grubby paws on our pitches. Unfortunately Croke Park blinked over this one.

They must be one of few FIFA countries in the world that don't own their own place, but have to go begging.

Besides which other than their pathetic international team and when they play friendlies against British teams who are vastly more popular among the wendy ball fraternity here than any of the 5th rate jokes of clubs they have, when would they ever need somewhere like Semple Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

They must be one of few FIFA countries in the world that don't own their own place, but have to go begging.

Three of the last four World Cup winners don't have their own national stadium - Italy, Spain and Germany all move their games around various club grounds. You could probably say all four as France share their ground with the rugby team - same as the FAI but using your own logic.

Collie D wrote: »
    Three of the last four World Cup winners don't have their own national stadium - Italy, Spain and Germany all move their games around various club grounds. You could probably say all four as France share their ground with the rugby team - same as the FAI but using your own logic.

Stade de France is publicly owned. GAA grounds or indeed the Aviva are not.

By all means let the FAI use "various club grounds" for their thrilling encounters with Georgia and the Faroe Islands and such like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

Jim Bowen wrote: »
    CK22 wrote: »
    I wonder how the new terracing in Cork compares? Haven't stood on it yet.

Sorry, I know this post is a few months old but just saw it now.

Thurles always was and probably still is one of my favourite places to watch a game and I didn't really have any real problem with it until I went to the new PUC. But after being down in Cork, it really shows how dated Thurles has gotten. In fairness the stands are probably fine but the terraces are very poor at this stage. Considering the amount of games they (rightly) get there, it is well due a bit of investment.

Separately, the Clare County Board (my own county ) should hang their heads in shame for the state of the toilets in Cusack Park. They are genuinely like something out of a horror movie. I don't know how they get away with it. If it was a private company the place would be shut down by the HSE in the morning. Its a pity because its a fine place to watch a match.

So Páirc Uí Chaoimh has turned out to be some disaster eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Not really. Just cost a fortune
    Still a class stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

benji79 wrote: »
    Not really. Just cost a fortune
    Still a class stadium

Even in grand scheme of stadium costs it's tiny re: new nfl raiders stadium in Las Vegas is costing $2 billion and won't even have proper parking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭pajoguy

marvin80 wrote: »

The cost over runs are incredible on this project but I think Mckenna has compared PUC to alot of soccer and rugby stadia that are smaller in length by as much as 20m. The size of a Gaa pitch dictates that the stadium would be much bigger that a soccer or rugby stadium. It doesnt excuse the overspend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Massive money

Fantastic stadium though

Advertisement