Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grant Vortex Air Oil Hybrid

Options
  • 05-09-2018 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Considering getting this but wanted to know what all your thoughts are on this machine and if anybody is using it? I've got a 1000 sq ft stone house that I'm currently getting patched up in lime plaster.The house currently has a oil system with rads and thought this system would be good for maintaining a consistent heat while the house breathes.I think I would get UFH downstairs and keeps the rads upstairs.Also considering a wood burning stove in addition , not sure I can have 3 sources to heat the house though,...oil air fire?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Was looking at these, didn't really get too far with it....

Personally I have a 3,000 sq ft house. Have a large Grant oil boiler. Also have a large Solid Fuel stove(30kW). The solid fuel is great but you need to consider coal as logs on their own will not keep it going or build up enough heat to heat the house....it aint the cleanest either but I do love it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭rn

The theory my plumber is telling me is that you don't want to mix low output heat tech with high output heat tech. So it's either heat pump + underfloor or oil/solid fuel + rads. So for our 2500sqft new build, it's gonna be a2w with a back up 8-11kw room heater wood stove. He insists we won't want the stove. However call me old fashioned and I can't have a house in the country that doesn't have two heat sources. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 samcr440!

I think in this hybrid system that the heat pump raises the temperature of the water for the boiler then to take the water from the output of the heat pump and raise the temperature ready for rads and hot water

samcr440! wrote: »
    I think in this hybrid system that the heat pump raises the temperature of the water for the boiler then to take the water from the output of the heat pump and raise the temperature ready for rads and hot water

That is how it works.....so instead of the water starting 5 degree it will be at 50 degree (these are examples) so you use less fuel to get to 70 degree

• Registered Users Posts: 30 samcr440!

Am currently in the planning stages of a new build for a 1600sqft bungalow, do you think these would be a good job in a new build, as i know that a new build with build regs now need some form of renewable energy to meet part L

• Advertisement

samcr440! wrote: »
    Am currently in the planning stages of a new build for a 1600sqft bungalow, do you think these would be a good job in a new build, as i know that a new build with build regs now need some form of renewable energy to meet part L

New build I would insulate the crap out of the house and use heat pump/geothermal

The hybrid system seems to be for retrofit because you can't swap out radiators etc.....

Advertisement