Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GDPR implications for games databases

• 24-09-2018 8:44pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I suspect Russia are the last (or at least the second-last) team that you'd be bothered about doing that to. The likes of ChessTempo alone would give more than enough info to help. It's also bad form, I think. If you're going to lose to Russia, you may as not act the maggot while at it.

Though on a side note, I wonder how GDPR would affect games databases?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

I wasn't being that serious really. I would hope we can snatch half a point somewhere as we have done on two previous occasions.

I have no reason to believe that GDPR is going to put ChessBase out of business but I am not an expert on such legalities.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

It wouldn't put chessbase out of business, but could I demand that the ICU take all my games down from their website? Or from other, larger, databases?

I'm slightly surprised it hasn't been mentioned anywhere so far as I can see. It would have an obvious benefit to players, and may have some legal standing now.

Not that I would agree with it obviously. But thought it might have come up in some discussion somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

cdeb wrote: »
    It wouldn't put chessbase out of business, but could I demand that the ICU take all my games down from their website? Or from other, larger, databases?

I'm slightly surprised it hasn't been mentioned anywhere so far as I can see. It would have an obvious benefit to players, and may have some legal standing now.

Not that I would agree with it obviously. But thought it might have come up in some discussion somewhere.

I tend to agree with you. My view on this changed after Scottish FM Allan Tate (who had just beaten me in Gibraltar) advised that if I was going to play more international events I should maintain a database of "what-the-world knows about me" games, as a way of dodging prep.

In particular, these Chess Spectator things are a big disincentive to me to play in Irish tournaments now.
    (That's part of my answer to what sodacat posted earlier.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

I've never heard anything like some of the nonsense written here. If anyone is afraid of people preparing for them then there are some simple ways to avoid the problem without banning computers or enforcing data protection laws. Firstly you could just learn your bloody openings properly so then it wouldn't matter what anyone threw at you. The second way is to play lots of different openings , as I do. If someone wants to stay up half the night trying to figure out what I'm going to play then good luck to them because I usually don't decide myself until I'm actually sitting at the board. The third way is perhaps the most extreme and that is to simply avoid playing in tournaments altogether , especially all play alls and ones where lower rated players are likely to be present. That way you need never worry about losing precious rating points or losing a game.
    Any player worth his/her salt should be able to recognise home prep when he/she walks into it and chess is such a complex game that if he/she has any imagination at all they should be able to come up with a move over the board that puts a spanner in the works.
    I really wonder sometimes if half the people who play chess really enjoy playing the game at all or is it just about winning and self validation? I would sooner play in a tournament and lose every game( even to home preparation) than not play at all but I seem to be in a minority in that respect.

I did say I don't agree with it. I play a relatively small series of openings, and if someone wants to prep against me, then the worst that happens is I learn a bit more about the opening. (Well, in theory anyway)

But not everyone is reasonable. If there's a possibility someone could put in a legal case, you'd think the matter would have been discussed somewhere.

(I might split to another thread if there is a debate to be had btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

cdeb wrote: »
    It wouldn't put chessbase out of business, but could I demand that the ICU take all my games down from their website?   
    Is this a hypothetical question, or are you actually against your own games being made available?
    If it's a question of helping the Olympiad team, the ICU database now seems to be behind the membership paywall. Anyway many (most?) of the newly posted games are available via The Week In Chess, Chess24.com, and other sources. For example, most games from this year's Irish championship.

It's a hypothetical question. I don't care that my games are available. I do wonder if someone could cause trouble through GDPR though. (They'd be a fool, but that's not stopped people before)

If my rating is personal data, then my opening choice could be too.

(Also - I'll split to another thread)

Advertisement