Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clubs disbanding

• 21-09-2018 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭

So i read this morning Redmonds from Cork are to disband at the end of the year.

It's a long long long time since they were a force but they actually won an All-Ireland hurling title in the 1890's and have been around for almost as long as the GAA itself.

What im wondering is it a common thing for clubs to disband? More over one that's been around for close to a 130 years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Yeah

But everything is hunky dory in the association
    A club in Westmeath almost folded last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I don't recall any clubs disbanding in Meath, amalgamation is far more common. Killallon on the Westmeath border fielded at Junior D about 15 years ago for 2 seasons before disbanding again.

If you wanted any candidates, St. Pauls of Clonee are unlikely to be around within a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Yeah

But everything is hunky dory in the association
    A club in Westmeath almost folded last year

Interesting they say they went to the county board for help but got none, and it wasn't even money they were looking for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

This is the opposite but there is an interesting story with Newbridge and Ballymaguigan in Derry, the US army built a base in the parish and so the Ballymaguigan players couldn't get to training, they then had to form a new club. The funny thing about it is that Newbridge get full credit for the honours before the split even though there were Ballymaguigan based players on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭dobman88

If you wanted any candidates, St. Pauls of Clonee are unlikely to be around within a few years.

I agree and it can't be easy competing with Dunboyne for players.

In fairness to St. Pauls, they're doing their best. It doesn't help that a new road was built through their old pitch. But the pitch they have is in good shape, on good land. They have cabins for dressing rooms but they're spacious and comfortable.

I played in a challenge match against St. Pauls this year and they're a good bunch of lads with good interest in football. But Dunboyne will draw the younger lads with their fantastic facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The other Bray club Fergal Ogs went last year.

Are St. Paul's not a Dunboyne club? What's the Clonee connection?

Patww79 wrote: »
    Are St. Paul's not a Dunboyne club? What's the Clonee connection?

Their pitch is currently outside Dunboyne as their old pitch was built over for the motorway. That said I've no idea how you've never heard of their connection with Clonee.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/Article/Index/126120

"We are St Paul's Clonee and we want to get back to Clonee."

http://www.hoganstand.com/county/meath/article/index/59495

"All we can do at the moment is keep the club going, keep St Paul's playing football and hopefully in the future with more houses going up in the Clonee area we'll be able to start up our own underage set-up."

Their pitch is currently outside Dunboyne as their old pitch was built over for the motorway. That said I've no idea how you've never heard of their connection with Clonee.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Meath/Article/Index/126120

"We are St Paul's Clonee and we want to get back to Clonee."

http://www.hoganstand.com/county/meath/article/index/59495

"All we can do at the moment is keep the club going, keep St Paul's playing football and hopefully in the future with more houses going up in the Clonee area we'll be able to start up our own underage set-up."

I probably haven't been around Dunboyne long enough, always just assumed they were a Dunboyne club but I don't really pay much attention to Meath GAA. There's another Clonee one too isn't there, but they'd probably be a Dublin club as they're on the Blanch side.
    When you think about it, there's probably very few 'Clonee' houses that aren't in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Joe Daly

cms88 wrote: »
    So i read this morning Redmonds from Cork are to disband at the end of the year.

It's a long long long time since they were a force but they actually won an All-Ireland hurling title in the 1890's and have been around for almost as long as the GAA itself.

What im wondering is it a common thing for clubs to disband? More over one that's been around for close to a 130 years

Its a pity to see a club been disbanded what happened there was it numbers or bad officers over the years let the thing slip. We have a situation in our club where there is a serious problem with the officers especially the last five years .

• Advertisement

I probably haven't been around Dunboyne long enough, always just assumed they were a Dunboyne club but I don't really pay much attention to Meath GAA. There's another Clonee one too isn't there, but they'd probably be a Dublin club as they're on the Blanch side.
    When you think about it, there's probably very few 'Clonee' houses that aren't in Dublin.

St. Peregrines are the Dublin side i think. I'd say any player in Clonee worth their salt goes with them so you'd easily think there's no meath club for Clonee.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Treaty Sarsfields in Thomondgate, Limerick were the last to disband in Limerick in the 90s. They were a great club in a great sporting area of the city. St Mary's, Shannon and Thomond rugby were the main rugby teams in the area and most Treaty players played other sports like rugby. Sad to see them go...N.a. Piarsaigh took up much of the slack but alot from Thomondgate wouldn't really call Piarsaigh a working class club..
    Plenty out the County will amalgamate soon and Ballinacurra Gaels in the city will go to the wall soon aswell. Zero appetite for Gaelic football with the youth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

The other Bray club Fergal Ogs went last year.

You sure? We played them in u9 hurling this year.

arctictree wrote: »
    You sure? We played them in u9 hurling this year.

Maybe they just pulled out of the adult stuff and the club is still going then. I'm near sure I'd heard they were going altogether though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭arctictree

Maybe they just pulled out of the adult stuff and the club is still going then. I'm near sure I'd heard they were going altogether though.

I'd say it's very hard to compete against Bray Emmets who have both senior football and hurling. Any talent would probably just move club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

BloodyBill wrote: »
    Treaty Sarsfields in Thomondgate, Limerick were the last to disband in Limerick in the 90s. They were a great club in a great sporting area of the city. St Mary's, Shannon and Thomond rugby were the main rugby teams in the area and most Treaty players played other sports like rugby. Sad to see them go...N.a. Piarsaigh took up much of the slack but alot from Thomondgate wouldn't really call Piarsaigh a working class club..
    Plenty out the County will amalgamate soon and Ballinacurra Gaels in the city will go to the wall soon aswell. Zero appetite for Gaelic football with the youth

Na Piarsaigh should but doesn’t want to be involved with Moyross Ballynanty Thomondgate etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sad ,but not supported locally,bigger clubs nearby, GAA only wants success,was in a club in Derry for years ( height of the troubles time) got fcuk all for years trying to promote hurling

Gaa has become very middle class in. limerick City anyway

Yeah it has. It's funny to think that Rugby has more reach in working class areas than hurling. Limerick city is crying out for another big hurling club that has big backing. Lots of kids waiting to pick up a Hurley but they don't find the likes of Claughaun or Old Christians as being modern enough..Those 2 need to amalgamate by the way and fast or they ll disappear

Yeah it has. It's funny to think that Rugby has more reach in working class areas than hurling. Limerick city is crying out for another big hurling club that has big backing. Lots of kids waiting to pick up a Hurley but they don't find the likes of Claughaun or Old Christians as being modern enough..Those 2 need to amalgamate by the way and fast or they ll disappear

Rugby isn’t even working class in Limerick that’s a myth.Its like the very few middle upper class can go further with rugby but middle class has can get 3rd level and jobs etc
    Working class limerick is soccer 100%

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »

Rugby isn’t even working class in Limerick that’s a myth.Its like the very few middle upper class can go further with rugby but middle class has can get 3rd level and jobs etc

That's completely wrong. Limerick Junior soccer is working class because no one middle class plays soccer in Ireland or the UK in general anyway so that's neither here nor there. .
    Thomond, St Mary's, Richmond are solid working class , Young Munster and Shannon even are working to lower middle class. Garryowen and Old Crescent are probably abit more upper class .. I know limerick rugby very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bigpink wrote: »
    Not a myth at all. So many clubs in the city have origins and still are working class. Wont list the clubs as Bloody Bill has done it already but you've no experience of rugby and rugby in Limerick from what you've posted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I don't recall any clubs disbanding in Meath, amalgamation is far more common. Killallon on the Westmeath border fielded at Junior D about 15 years ago for 2 seasons before disbanding again.

If I’m not mistaken, the last club in Meath before Killallon to be disbanded was Flathouse, which St. Paul’s replaced. Though for a slightly different reason to why Paul’s will probably fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Joe Daly wrote: »
    Its a pity to see a club been disbanded what happened there was it numbers or bad officers over the years let the thing slip. We have a situation in our club where there is a serious problem with the officers especially the last five years .

Lack of numbers, no underage and the pitch is up by the airport. It is easier to get to St Finbarrs then up there.

Ballinure is another hanging on. They have a pitch and next door there is Michaels with three pitches.

Sad ,but not supported locally,bigger clubs nearby, GAA only wants success,was in a club in Derry for years ( height of the troubles time) got fcuk all for years trying to promote hurling

There's no room for small clubs like that anymore. As you said, parents want little Johnny to be playing wheres there's success even if he's not getting a game.

While it's not everything, people nowadays seems to care little about history, and that's not just within sport either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

There's no room for small clubs like that anymore. As you said, parents want little Johnny to be playing wheres there's success even if he's not getting a game.

While it's not everything, people nowadays seems to care little about history, and that's not just within sport either

The development of super clubs is completely wrong

GAA needs to support smaller clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hurler97

Lismire in North Cork folded their hurling side of things last year due to players in the village playing for Kanturk instead as they were a higher grade. Widely known in North Cork that Lismire should be one of the strongest clubs around but unfortunately are only operating a Junior B football team.

Here is a link to the social media and meeting to save the club Redmonds GAA Twitter
    https://twitter.com/RedmondsG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

JP donates €100,000 to every Gaelic Games county board in Ireland to be divided equally among their local clubs.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0924/995814-jp-mcmanus-donates-100-000-to-every-gaa-county-board/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

They should hold out for a few days and get the few quid from JP.

Advertisement