Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it illegal to give a walkover to win a league?

• 24-09-2018 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭

Situation was that we were two points behind the league leaders with our last game to play them. They were only a couple of points ahead of us on points diff. They gave us a walkover but they win the league on points difference. Is that allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

arctictree wrote: »
    Situation was that we were two points behind the league leaders with our last game to play them. They were only a couple of points ahead of us on points diff. They gave us a walkover but they win the league on points difference. Is that allowed?

Depends on the rules of the competition I guess,county bylaws etc.

Sounds like a cvntish act alright. In Roscommon, a forfeit automatically ends in a 1 point deduction, 2 forfeits means you are out of the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Probably not illegal but against the "spirit" of the game really in my book. Lousy thing to do

Probably a token fine for it and thats the only consequence

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Surely if any team gets a win by a walkover, then score difference can't be used to separate two teams on equal points? I'd be making an appeal to the county board because that shouldn't be allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mrbango

Wow thats risiculous. Name and shame the league. In most keagues it wpuld go head to head if teams finish on level points so the walkover would give you the league title. Again alot of leagues jave by laws but as far as i can see these bylaws arent documented anywhere so very hard to prove.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Surprised that is allowed.
    Happened in Tipp in group stages of championship when Carrick Swan gave Thurles Sars a walkover. Score difference could not then be used in the group to separate teams level on points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

robbiezero wrote: »
    Surprised that is allowed.
    Happened in Tipp in group stages of championship when Carrick Swan gave Thurles Sars a walkover. Score difference could not then be used in the group to separate teams level on points.

The only rule in TO that mentions walk overs specifically refers to championship. I'd imagine county boards would copy the same logic for running league competitions though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Is there no league final most leagues i know of have a final match

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Look up the county board's published rules - in the GAA rulebook, ties in leagues are settled by head to head unless the county board have a specific provision otherwise.

Seems like they gamed the system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Surely if any team gets a win by a walkover, then score difference can't be used to separate two teams on equal points? I'd be making an appeal to the county board because that shouldn't be allowed.

100% this. A walk over rules out the points difference rule and two teams on the same points should play off. I'd be surprised if every rule book didn't have this in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Score difference does not come into it if there was a walkover given. In this case it would go to a play off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,576 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why would any team / management even want to take home the league win doing that. Id be very surprised if there were teams out there that would pull this at closing stages.

Is this hypothetical

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

It depends on the individual county by laws. In Dublin they reference the official GAA guide 6.21 (c) (unless there was more than two teams involved - where they have their own rules):
    ... when
    Teams finish with equal points for Qualification
    for the Concluding Stages, or for Promotion
    or Relegation, the tie shall be decided by the
    following means and in the order specified:
    (i) Where two Teams only are involved - the
    outcome of the meeting of the two Teams
    in the previous game in the Competition;
    (ii) Scoring Difference (subtracting the total
    Scores Against from total Scores For);
    (iii) Highest Total Score For;
    (iv) A Play-Off.

Exceptions to (c):
    (1) In relation to means (ii) and (iii) above,
    if the accumulated scores of a team, so
    involved, are affected by a disqualification,
    loss of game on a proven objection,
    retirement or walk over, the tie shall be
    decided by a Play-Off.
    (2) Regulations (i), (ii) and (iii) shall not
    apply to under 16 or younger age grade
    competitions

Disqualifications in Dublin due to walkovers only occur when 3 or more teams are level:
    (ii) Where more than two teams are involved – Scoring difference (subtracting the total scores against
    from the total scores for) of the games where the teams tied on points played each other only. In the
    event that a team involved in a tie consisting of more than two teams had their finishing points total
    affected by a loss of points against that team on a proven objection, forfeiture of points for breach of
    rule / regulation, or by loss of points for failing to fulfil a fixture, that team shall not be included in any
    play-off and shall deemed to have finished in last place in whatever means is used to decide the tie. The
    procedures outlined in Rule 6.21 (4) (c) T.O. 2017 shall then be used to separate the remaining teams in
    the tie.

So effectively in Dublin if two teams drew and one gave a walkover, points difference would still come in to it - there's no mention of walkovers in that scenario :eek:

So what county was this in? What was the head to head between the teams?

Edit: Just seen that they gave you a walkover... so if the usual rules were applied you would win the head to head... but that's assuming county boards do things consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭stooge

Would be very surprised if the team that won the league (and gave you the walkover) had not already checked and double checked with the county board if there were any ramifications in doing so. So most likely they are in the clear.

Just to add, completely despicable thing to do. How could you hold your head up as a player or manager in this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭cgc5483

As JazzyJ said above the regulations are set by each counties by laws set by competition control committee (CCC). Your secretary will have received them at the beginning of the year.

Advertisement