Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To stop or not to stop

• 23-09-2018 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭

If someone tried to stop you for directions mid run would you stop?

I kept going three times today when people approached me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

if it’s just a training run then I will usually stop to help them and have done several times in the past. But I’m not a fast runner so it’s a bit easier to stop for a minute or two and then get moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Where were they looking to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I stopped during the week when somebody asked me but was just an easy run so no big deal. If I was doing a session I’d be a bit frustrated but prob would as I’d feel rude not to. Might depend on if there were others around who could have answered instead of me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

During an easy run there is not even a question, of course I'd stop. That has happened plenty of times and I'm sure it will do so again.

If I'm in the middle of a session I'd probably keep going - in fact, I'd most likely be pissed off if someone interrupted me, it should be pretty obvious that I'm in the middle of a serious effort. However, as far as I remember that has never actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Put it this way, if you were driving somewhere lost and tried to ask someone for directions who was close by and they kept running and ignored you, how would you feel..... I'd always stop, session or not, it's just good manners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I have and I would again. I would get over the disappointment of stopping mid run a lot quicker than continuing and ignoring someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Depends what I'm doing. If I'm obviously belting along I'd shout that I couldn't stop.
    If I'm plodding along it would be rude not to stop

But there are some people who see it all as 'just a jog'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh I would always stop...Sunday mornings can be the worst, always seems to be some lost parent looking for a football/GAA/rugby pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Would always stop, otherwise I just fret about it afterwards & feel guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

I always stop but I won't lie, it really annoys me. It happens ALOT.

Just can't really understand why you'd pick someone who is clearly on a mission (running with heaphones in) over someone walking past slowly.

They normally see me coming at them and wave me down. I ask them to wait 2 seconds while I turn off my music, pause the watch etc. They normally ignore that oblivious to that I can't hear them and I have to ask them to start over again. Sigh, joys of running in a built up area I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Depends on where I'm running.

If I'm running around a built up area then they can go an find someone else to bother, there are loads of other people around. Or they could just read the road signs or get Google maps out.
    If out of town then yes, and I'm more likely to be on a long slow run anyway that it makes no odds.

Chances of me knowing the answer to their question in either situation is fairly limited though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I'd stop. Being lost has never been a fun experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

robinph wrote: »
    Depends on where I'm running.

If I'm running around a built up area then they can go an find someone else to bother, there are loads of other people around. Or they could just read the road signs or get Google maps out.
    If out of town then yes, and I'm more likely to be on a long slow run anyway that it makes no odds.

Chances of me knowing the answer to their question in either situation is fairly limited though.

First one was near aquatic centre entrance. 50 yards away was a bus stop with about 10-12 people at it.

Second was at the Bell pub in blanch with at least 4 or 5 other people close by.

They above 2 were cars. The third was on foot

The third was a person was at the canal at blanch m50 junction and there was loads of people in car park there at twelfth lock and I could see them standing there for about 45 seconds before I turned onto the canal as I came past Bradys. They were looking for Blanch shopping centre.

If I'm doing a slower longer run (5.15/km over 15km distance) then that is ok as I can get that pace back. But if I'm going quicker ( 4.45/km pace ) I find stopping and restarting really tough. Especially as I could be 8-10km into a 10-12k run on that route i do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

robinph wrote: »
    or get Google maps out.

I talked an older couple through this on their own phone. I put in the address for them and told them to just follow the instructions the phone read out to them, no need to touch it again until you arrive.
    "Hmm, I don't like the look of that. We'll just get back on the the M11 and see if we can see it from there (B+B up a back road). Anyway, thanks for trying. Enjoy your, em, eh, em, jog? Bye"

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

I always stop. People will stop and ask someone out running as I assume they think they know the area well, otherwise you would be not out running.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Generally, yes. Yesterday I was asked about Loughshinny. I'll have to check next week if there's a signpost at the particular crossroads. Guy yesterday might have ended up going to Skerries golf club if I had not pointed him the right way. Only thing is some of my local knowledge isn't great out this direction with the back roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I’d always stop if someone flagged me down. But one guy tried to stop me once, asking had I any smokes. I jogged on. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Easy run yes. Session no.

Advertisement