Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Berlin Q or Bust: Road to sub 2:45

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck J, your mate is usually never far wrong!! Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

What....... A........... Run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Well,despite my lace opening 3 times in the first 5k :o managed to recover and break 80mins by the princely sum of 1 second :) report to follow......

healy1835 wrote:
    Well,despite my lace opening 3 times in the first 5k managed to recover and break 80mins by the princely sum of 1 second report to follow......

Talk to DD. He knows a lot about preventing those laces opening. Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

1.19.59 is up there with the famous 2.59 as an epic time. Just quite a bit faster. Well done on a fine race. What's the DCM target? It has to be 2.50 or 2.48 I suppose unless you're like me and need lots of extra time to convert half to full.

• Advertisement

Dublin Half Marathon Report

Had company for this one as my two mates who I went with to Rotterdam were running. My buddy who broke 3hours there was pacing the other to a 1:32 as it turned out, a 10min PB :)

Parked near the cricket ground and jogged up to the start line with a few strides thrown in. Feeling pretty pumped but a positive type of nervous energy. Forgot just how big a race this actually was numbers wise and had to come back out of the starting pen to get a decent spot towards the front.

Km 1-5 (3:47, 3:48, 3:50, 3:48, 3:55): 19:08

After my ill judged start to the Frank Duffy I was determined not to make the same mistake here. I knew it was a slightly risky strategy as the first few k are a nice downhill and a good chance to bank a bit of time, but I stuck to my guns. I had one or two runners in my early group ear marked as guys who would be under the 1:20 mark and as we headed down Ordnance survey road I was in a decent group of about 15. 3:47 kms was the magic number today and the first 2k passed without fuss.
    Then my lace opens, pull into the side, panicking a little bit as I knew that the possibility of breaking 80mins was marginal enough, back out and rejoiced proceedings with the group maybe 10secs ahead now. Coming up towards the S bends I was running beside David Carrie and I figured he might be a good man to pace off going up the short climbs, and he may well have been but then my lace opens again :(
    I'm annoyed now, pull in take a couple of deep breaths and then a couple of extra seconds to make sure I tie the damn things properly this time. I definitely took off too fast this time and made it back to DC just coming up to the first water station when the lace opens AGAIN!!
    This is not funny anymore, but if anything it calmed me a bit. Took a bottle of water, pulled in just after, took a good swig of water, triple knotted the lace and joined in again on a decent downhill. I've probably lost at least 45secs but I'm moving well and the pace feels comfortable at this early stage.

Km 6-10 (3:54, 3:48, 3:48, 3:48, 3:50) : 19:08

That last lace disaster probably took in some of km 6 looking at the splits. The 80 min group is now long gone and in the distance. But moving in past the Zoo and onto the North Rd I'm tipping along nicely, working with a chap in a pink t shirt who I will end up sharing the load with for the rest of the race. Bit of drag up the North road but I'm feeling good, passing a good few here. Tight turn at castleknock gate was not appreciated :)

Km 11-15 ( 3:49, 3:42, 3:58, 3:43, 3:51) :19:03

As luck would have it my course recce a couple of weeks back, took me up Whites Rd, so I knew it was drag. Put the hammer down in the km leading up to it to limit any losses. Myself and pink shirt are motoring now and keeping each other honest. Took a gel at last bottle station when we got back into the park. I'm feeling strong and looking forward to taking advantage of the fast stretch down Chesterfield and Acres road.

Km 16-20 (3:44, 3:43, 3:39, 3:39, 3:50) : 18:35

Through 10miles about 60:50, 17secs down on my FD time but feeling unbelievably good. I'm certain that I'll go under 1:21 but if I go now, and it had to be now, and wind it up then 80mins could still be on. I know that the upper glen is always a tough stretch but my mind is made up. Pink shirt is still here and it's one of those moments Where it didn't need to said, I pushed and he tagged on straight away. Going down acres was great, just in a rhythm and enjoying the race and the fact that I'm finishing strong. A few of the guys I tagged at the start are coming back quickly now and I know it's gonna be touch and go. Clap my hands together and shout 'come on' coming up the upper glen :)

Km 21 (3:36, 3:31 for the bit)

Down the final stretch, 3:36 fastest km of the race, coming up to line I actually thought I had about 5 secs in the bag and eased off a smidgen :o but I stopped watch past the line @1:19:59 So I was 'fairly sure' I had it but was a little worried until I saw official time on the phone ;)

Considering the time lost in the first 5k I couldn't be happier with that result. Feeling great today, had a few beers last night. Got up at 6am and did about 15k Easy, left the watch at home and just ambled about reliving the race in my head :) legs never felt better after a race. Back out on walk with Erin Healy in the buggy now and writing this report from a McDonald's whilst taking a well earned break from my staple porridge breakfast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Jesus, Mate, you're flying. 15k amble less than 24 hours after a Half PB. Congrats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Fantastic stuff. Awe inspiring.

Enjoy the McMuffin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Cracking run chief! Doesn't seem that long ago that you hadn't broken 80 for 10 miles:)

Safiri wrote: »
    Cracking run chief! Doesn't seem that long ago that you hadn't broken 80 for 10 miles:)

Wow, really?

Can I selfishly ask how long ago?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Brilliant running! That's some pace for the last km.

Safiri wrote: »

I know!! out of small acorns.... :)

Lazare wrote: »
    Wow, really?

Can I selfishly ask how long ago?

You can! Just checked the results there, I ran 1:23:45 in the Frank Duffy in 2015, my first race :)

Anyone know how to get a jaw off a floor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Duanington

Congrats J...not a quick course to do it on either, much more to come after the marathon I suspect too, great to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great result and report there. That's some performance, especially taking all the lace malfunctions into account!

Great stuff man. That's phenomenal even without the time lost with shoelaces. Great result

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

super racing there - great report - your progression is tremendous, this is another of those logs that'll be referenced in the future as a 'see where he came from' type.

What runners were you wearing, so I can avoid them.
    Seriously - 3 times..... As George W Bush one said - 'Fool me once......is worth a bush in the frying pan"

Ha ha! I'm going to absolve the runners for this one and take full responsibility. I rushed them the first two times, definitely. Didn't even double knot them :( Every day is a school day.....

(Nike Zoom Streak 6 btw :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Wow, that is some brilliant pacing and great finish, Super result! But the manner in which you got it was savage, well done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done J, congrats!!
    That result is consistent with your brillant training of late, fair play to you.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Well done J, congrats!!
    That result is consistent with your brillant training of late, fair play to you.

Cheers L, how's the comeback trail coming along?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That's absolutely fantastic, well done. What racing. What were you doing able to talk and cheer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

healy1835 wrote: »
    Cheers L, how's the comeback trail coming along?

Comeback pencilled in for next month, hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great stuff J.

Might want to look into something like this.

https://www.adidas.com/us/ultraboost_laceless-running-shoes ;)

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Fantastic race and time!! Well done!

Have been afforded the luxury of a couple of hours 'daddy time' to watch the back 9 of the Ryder Cup singles so I'll get my weekly review in here too :)

A week of easy mileage was prescribed with the focus being on a strong 34k LR to end the week. 'No session?' I asked......'NO SESSION!' was the reply. I've trusted my training so far so no need to do anything stupid now :)

Dublin Marathon 2018 Week 12 of 16

Mon: 10 Miles Easy: 1:20:22 @4:59/km

Tue: 10 Miles Easy: 1:20:32 @5:02/km

Got out a bit earlier so I could be back in time to watch the United game......at least the plains were particularly stunning as the sun was setting, as for the football :o

Wed: 7.5k AM: 37:41 @5:01/km
    10k PM: 47:09 @4:43/km

In and out of work. Legs feeling like they've forgotten about last Saturday's race :)

Thu: 16.5k Easy: 1:20:54 @4:54/km

Usual trot out by Clontarf sea front. Always enjoyable.....

Fri: 10k Easy: 49:05 @4:54/km + 6k w/pooch

Nipped onto plains after school. Followed it up by bringing the pooch out for 6k when I got home.

Sat: 14k Buggy: 1:08:22 @4:53/km

Glorious morning for a run. This running lark is great altogether, really feeling the good vibes on this one.

Sun: 34k LR: 2:37:36 @4:38/km

Plan was run entirely on the plains with my regular training partner who's back in the game after some injury problems which he had for Rotterdam and still went sub 3. Was hoping to to 10k/12k/12k progression type run, starting at 4:50's and working down to 4:30's and then the last 12k at a good clip. Mate's injury started to flare up a little and he bowed out at with 23k in the bag. Had to go back up to the Camp as I'd my car keys in his office so I ran the last 11k on the same loop I've used for some recent Tempos. Last 11k averaged around 4:12/km.

Felt great. Practiced taking gels and also some Lucozade sport, just to make sure they go together ok in the belly :) in previous marathons I've had someone on the course with drinks, but if Limerick showed me anything, i don't have to rely on anyone for my race nutrition. If I manage to rope someone into helping at DCM great, but if I don't then I'm quite happy to take whatever is on offer.

130k for the week.
    517k for September.

So into the final stretch now. 20x400m session midweek and 30k LR next weekend. 6x1 Mile and a 10k race the following week. MLR and 3x2mile session and that's all she wrote then........

Will try and hit 130+k again next week and then 100k and 80k are the ball park targets before the final week. Think I've decided on my race plan for DCM, just have to run it by the boss and see what he thinks.... :)

Dublin Marathon 2018 Week 13 of 16

Mon: AM: 10.5k Recovery: 53:55 @5:08/km
    PM: 10.1k Easy: 50:25 @4:47/km

In and out of work, had a bit more time than usual on my hands so added a couple of km each way.

Tue: Rest!! Without realising it, I'd manage to run 43 days in a row. 43 days of pretty heavy training i might add. This rest day was not by design, but a lot of small circumstances meant a run just didn't happen. I presume the body appreciated it :) that's the mad thing about this block though, I haven't been tired at all really, recovery has been really straightforward and I also haven't been sick at all (touches biggest piece of wood he can find).

Wed: Session 20x400m off 60/secs.

Instructions were to put in a hard effort and keep the legs ticking over. Went up to the race course and used a lumpy, exposed 400m gravel straight which today had a nasty cross wind that just didn't seem to help at all :( mate was there and did 12 reps with me. Was balls to the wall here and by the last rep had emptied the tank. Great session.

W/u & c/d and recovery 6k with the pooch afterwards brought total distance up to 18.5k for the day.

Thu: 22.5k Relaxed: 1:44:41 @4:42/km

Was in town a little earlier than usual, so decided to park around Bluebell, run the 2nd half of the DCM route and then get the Luas back out to bluebell :)

Managed to take a the wrong exit at the Walkinstown roundabout :o which put about 1km on to the run, but apart from that I managed to stay on the route. I know it'll be different running it at MP and with the first half in the legs but..........it's a pretty decent track all things considered. Plenty of stretches that are there to be got at. Very amped up after this one.....3 and a bit weeks to go :)

• Advertisement

Fri: 15k Easy: 1:17:03 @5:03/km

Sat: AM: 14k Buggy: 1:11:03 @5:04/km
    PM: 5k w/pooch c30mins

Sun: LR: 28k Easy: 2:15:18 @4:50/km

Ran with a few guys from local club, enjoyable run and great chat about DCM going on. Cut it a couple of km short as there is a bug in the Healy household at the moment and I had begun to feel a bit dodge that morning beforehand. Was in low power mode for last couple of km. Got home, started to track Barry in Cologne, went upstairs to change, lied down in bed and promptly awoke about 3hrs later with Barry just having gone through the 40k marker :) Still feeling a bit ropey but it's on its way out of the system. Will take today off and get back out tomorrow, no need to take any risks and shoehorn runs in unnecessarily. Was gonna run a 10k race on Wednesday but gonna knock that on the head. Might try and get one in this weekend instead.....

124k for the week, with one day off.

Advertisement