Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaa funding

• 20-09-2018 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

So in the paper today that since 2007 Dublin have received 16.6 million in coaching and development funding since 2007 while Leitrim have got 560 000. So basically Dublin have got 25 times more . Ah ya level playing field and all that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Think this issue has been well and truly flogged to death but I guess size does really matter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Population of Leitrim is the same as population of Finglas.

Does Finglas GAA get 560k from the GAA.

No of course it doesnt.

Sham sham. Level playing field how are ya.

Money is the spent to promote the playing of gaelic games, to facilitate clubs and to finance training and coaching across the board.

Its not spent so that one county can beat another county.

Why should kids in Finglas be at a disadvantage to kids in Leitrim?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Do we need another thread.... Or Ewan is that you? ;)

I dunno

I just have a pain listening to country people with their constant droning complaint about Dublin gets it all and they get nothing.....in every walk of life.

It was the same yesterday with the storm......Met Eireann didnt warn people because it was only affecting the West and not Dublin......meanwhile trees are flying down all over Dublin.

I walk around Dublin and see roads at creaking point, traffic everywhere, dilapidated schools, footpaths all chewed up and ancient......and yet Dublin supposedly gets it all and the poor country folk get nothing.

The more I think about the more I think Dublin isnt getting its fair share.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

what? Dublin gets more money? Why have I not heard of this before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Gael85

jon1981 wrote: »

I can see 5 Dublin names on that list and James Madden from Ballyboden has now signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tombo2001 wrote: »

No of course it doesnt.

Money is the spent to promote the playing of gaelic games, to facilitate clubs and to finance training and coaching across the board.

Just on this (and not wanting to reopen the wider debate about Dublin GAA funding which is indeed done to death at this stage).
    How well is the money distributed within Dublin? Why shouldn't finglas get as much funding as Leitrim if as you say the population is similar? Is this development money actually going to the areas that need it, ie inner city areas and areas where participation in sport is probably lower (generally poorer areas?), or is it going into more leafy suburbs full of 'culchies' that are able to and most likely would be able to fund and participate in setting up and running sports clubs anyway?

Im far removed from Dublin, and I may have made some sweeping generalisations, and if I cause offense then I apologise, but the point remains: where does this extra funding actually go to?

Just on this (and not wanting to reopen the wider debate about Dublin GAA funding which is indeed done to death at this stage).
    How well is the money distributed within Dublin? Why shouldn't finglas get as much funding as Leitrim if as you say the population is similar? Is this development money actually going to the areas that need it, ie inner city areas and areas where participation in sport is probably lower (generally poorer areas?), or is it going into more leafy suburbs full of 'culchies' that are able to and most likely would be able to fund and participate in setting up and running sports clubs anyway?

Im far removed from Dublin, and I may have made some sweeping generalisations, and if I cause offense then I apologise, but the point remains: where does this extra funding actually go to?

I would feel its reasonably well distributed and ironically a lot of the clubs in wealthier areas have relatively poorer resources; Ranelagh Gaels being one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭clint_silver

GPO's in the schools.

Guy from GAA on newstalk talking about this earlier in the year. The gist of it is as follows, take a comparable membership in numbers only and Cork have nearly same as Dublin. Cork 32-33k members to 36-37k in Dublin. Now thats 7% of the population of cork but thats only 2% of Dublin population. If you upped membership in Dublin to 7% thats 80-90000 more members. (I think those numbers are about right but you get the idea). So its a no-brainer to invest for GAA.

So it may seem like Dublin are getting more money to invest in teams, theyre not, its to get more members.

Rugby and Soccer are vying for the same pools of players with their own officers in schools, of which both codes have also targetted numbers increase in the capital for same reasons.

On the argument that this creates an imbalance on the pitch can be dealt with at a later stage if it continues but Dublin are arguably blessed with an incredible pool of talent as well at the moment which should last at least another 3-4 years but theyll eventually need new players and the minors havent set the world alight for last 5 years.

One would expect all things being equal Kerry will challenge in next 3-4 years with their conveyor belt of talent. If noone is still challenging for next while then sure another look should be had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

Tombo2001 wrote: »

No of course it doesnt.

What is the registered GAA player figures Leitrim vs Finglas?
    I think if you break all the money down by registered player population the results are even more alarming. But hey, the GAA HQ money train rolls on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Sweet Jesus not another thread. I suppose the usual suspects will be here in a bit. Come on Spewan let’s be having ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

spurshero wrote: »
    So in the paper today that since 2007 Dublin have received 16.6 million in coaching and development funding since 2007 while Leitrim have got 560 000. So basically Dublin have got 25 times more . Ah ya level playing field and all that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Irish_counties_by_population

Given that Dublin have 42 times the population of Leitrim, it seems that your information suggests that Dublin have been chronically underfunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I know the county season is done and dusted but surely there's a few club games you could go watch to save killing time with these threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

jon1981 wrote: »

Did you even read your own link? It’s in literally the third paragraph. Dublin and Cork have contributed more than anyone else to the AFL

Advertisement