Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Devil May Cry 5

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Release Date announced too. March 8th.

Such a busy period for game releases, really hope it doesn't get lost in the mix.

Gameplay looks awesome. Fairly simplistic but given that it's clearly one of the first levels (if not the very first level), so before proper move upgrades/unlocks, and Nero is only one of three playable characters, can't expect too much yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

This gameplay is really good, by someone who understands how to play the games

Like how he breaks all his arms to get to buster grab quick when the goliath his down, his crazy style instincts are solid :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Dynamic music is going to be awesome. Even just adding lyrics during a QTE on MGR was super cool so having more of that during actual gameplay... looking forward to it. Hope they don't add too much DRM.

Dynamic music is going to be awesome. Even just adding lyrics during a QTE on MGR was super cool so having more of that during actual gameplay... looking forward to it. Hope they don't add too much DRM.

Fixed your link
    https://twitter.com/brandonorselli/status/1032461104088317952?s=20

• Advertisement

Thanks. Bloody phone posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Christ, I assume he's complaining about the PC Gamer article that mentions, incorrectly, that "the demo lacks the outstanding musical drops DmC built into its combos"? I guess he got too caught up in the snark to realise the news about the music came out back in June, was already reported by the "mainstream press" and was positively commented on in most other outlets.

In any case, hopefully the news of a possible demo release prior to launch is true, be nice to get a hands on with it which should hopefully help allay any fears after the previous entry in the series. :o

Thanks. Bloody phone posting.

If posting on phone, just change to full site. That's what I do if posting any links from my phone or tablet.

There's a bunch of off-screen footage of some pretty good Nero players doing all the old DMC4 tricks but with that new DMC5 fluidity. Some really cool taunts and stuff

LD4JV4L.gif

Best thing is that this does the DmC thing of improving the onboarding process for new players to 'git gud' and feel the synapses popping when learning new tricks but preserves the combat ceiling of those old games.

Like for all the dumb things DmC did wrong it did some stuff right and a lot of that stuff is getting carried across here it looks like (eg, the style ranking system is from DmC. Dynamic soundtracks were a thing first tried in DmC for the series)

gizmo wrote: »
    already reported[/URL] by the "mainstream press" and was positively commented on in most other outlets

I think it's more of a bite at game journos never being able to get to hear the good music themselves because they all seem completely incompetent at video games. The cuphead & doom videos really sobered people to this fact.
    n any case, hopefully the news of a possible demo release prior to launch is true, be nice to get a hands on with it which should hopefully help allay any fears after the previous entry in the series. :o

Other than the look of the characters being a bit off (especially Nero he looks like a different person) I think it's overall looking great but yeah I'd love to play a bit myself. A demo is unlikely or it'll be bound to 8th gen consoles. I hope for more moves, deepen the combat, more things you can do after grabbing enemies like throwing them at each other. Difficulty and depth need to go through the roof just like the originals. That said I wouldn't mind if they cut back on the amount of blue orb and lifebar collecting stuff. Hidden rooms for sure but perhaps just for score and cosmetic things like costumes. Upgrade system in DMC was never needed imo but I suppose it helps introduce new moves and mechanics slowly to the player... I just don't want too much grind in my DMC games. The only grind should be in improving your skill to dominate the mechanics.
    If posting on phone, just change to full site. That's what I do if posting any links from my phone or tablet.

I'll try that thanks. I usually don't phone post or avoid linking when doing so.

• Advertisement

I think it's more of a bite at game journos never being able to get to hear the good music themselves because they all seem completely incompetent at video games. The cuphead & doom videos really sobered people to this fact.
    Oh I get why he did it, I just loath that kind of snarky nonsense that has become so prevalent in some circles, there's absolutely no need for it. Again, it's one article from one publication that's gotten it wrong and reveling in schadenfreude will more than likely come back to bite you in the ass if you stay in any industry long enough. Anyone can have a terrible day or game, regardless of what publication you write or make videos for.
    Other than the look of the characters being a bit off (especially Nero he looks like a different person) I think it's overall looking great but yeah I'd love to play a bit myself. A demo is unlikely or it'll be bound to 8th gen consoles. I hope for more moves, deepen the combat, more things you can do after grabbing enemies like throwing them at each other. Difficulty and depth need to go through the roof just like the originals. That said I wouldn't mind if they cut back on the amount of blue orb and lifebar collecting stuff. Hidden rooms for sure but perhaps just for score and cosmetic things like costumes. Upgrade system in DMC was never needed imo but I suppose it helps introduce new moves and mechanics slowly to the player... I just don't want too much grind in my DMC games. The only grind should be in improving your skill to dominate the mechanics.
    Character design wise, I'd wager they're trying to differentiate him more from Dante aesthetically this time around rather than just playstyle as in DMC4. It'll be interesting to see if he even has a Devil Trigger this time around or if they're sticking with the Devil Breaker arm mechanics for the character.

it, I just loath that kind of snarky nonsense that has become so prevalent in some circles, there's absolutely no need for it.

It's just funny. It's also tame compared to what journos have been accusing their audiences of. Gamers are dead, misogynistic, loners, virgins, should be bullied. But saying the journos can't play video games well? Now now lads, no need for that kind of talk. :rolleyes:
    Anyone can have a terrible day or game, regardless of what publication you write or make videos for.

A day? Any gameplay clips I see where they actually play the games themselves are always horrendous in my experience. They're on a pretty long combo of bad day. I don't think I could keep a straight face if I saw them trying to demonstrate a DMC game.

Character design wise, I'd wager they're trying to differentiate him more from Dante aesthetically this time around rather than just playstyle as in DMC4. It'll be interesting to see if he even has a Devil Trigger this time around or if they're sticking with the Devil Breaker arm mechanics for the character.[

He had a DT in DMC4 but it just had different boosts than Dante's. Nero's is more about higher DPS and making grabs even more lethal (even on bosses) as well as boosting shots with extra projectiles. Dante's DT is about increasing core speed, flinch resistance on being hit and causing causing some moves to become different.

You use Dante's DT when you're in trouble. Nero's for when you're already doing well and want to capitalise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The cuphead & doom videos really sobered people to this fact.

Ah yes, two individual videos from two different people out of the literally thousands of videos published by video game publications and journalists every year is definitive evidence that every video game journalist is incapable of playing video games. Truly sobering :pac:

omg guys who gives a fuk

Look at this cool guy sh*t

Vt1M16a.gif

slick as a mofo. DMC is back

A hell of a lot of work being done to line up the interstitial animations and make that stuff more convincing while keeping all the core parts of DMC4. So excited

Also if you want to follow a journo who's good at these games Chris Carter at Destructoid has got a huge passion for the series, very interested to see what his take on 5 is when it comes out

Ah yes, two individual videos from two different people out of the literally thousands of videos published by video game publications and journalists every year is definitive evidence that every video game journalist is incapable of playing video games. Truly sobering :pac:

It was. Those are the ones that got popular and shared on mainstream platforms when previous instances of this were not so shared, hence why I brought THOSE up because most people are quick to forget. I could've made a wall of text of the absolute state of game journalism, including the dozens of fluff pieces they post about how games are just too hard, how the game locking content (music?) behind that disgusting, elitist thing known as 'skill' is just unfair to the average player, and how they champion everything anti-gameplay... and how this demonstrates that they're awful at games. But that would've been very off topic and I'm sure you yourself would've been contemplating your mod actions. But at least my post had DMC in it.

So excited

That seems to be almost unanimously the reaction from everywhere and I'm loving it.

It's just funny. It's also tame compared to what journos have been accusing their audiences of. Gamers are dead, misogynistic, loners, virgins, should be bullied. But saying the journos can't play video games well? Now now lads, no need for that kind of talk. :rolleyes:
    Sorry man, but you should realise by now I don't buy into that stuff nor, for what it's worth, do I agree with the notion that purposefully acting like an asshole to people on the internet is in any way funny.

Johnny has covered your other generalisations in his reply so I'd rather not labour the point but honestly, we've been waiting nearly 10 years for a true successor to DMC4 and personally, I'd just rather folk concentrate on how great DMC5 is shaping up to be rather than trying to kick another hornets nest of nonsense.
    A hell of a lot of work being done to line up the interstitial animations and make that stuff more convincing while keeping all the core parts of DMC4. So excited
    For sure, it looks like they've done some fantastic animation work in order to maintain responsiveness without character movement looking odd. Definitely hope they get some high level players in to demo the game at some point though, it'd be great to see someone like Saurian come back and weigh in on how it feels with some mechanics videos for it.

Reveal of a few devil breakers. Also photo mode has been confirmed along with gallery mode

All I hope for now is Royal Guard to make a return

Oh, and a Vergil rematch :)

Looks like the game is being featured heavily at TGS.

There's also both info on and footage of the content featured in the Deluxe Edition of the game. It's all featured on the Capcom blog so I'll just link that rather than spoiling it...

TGS 2018: Dante crashes the party with a brand new Devil May Cry 5 trailer

Game is looking fantastic. Can't wait to see some full Dante gameplay, and also gameplay from the new character.

Super-hyped.

• Advertisement

SzFZZmR.jpg
    • DLC announced before release
    • DLC includes unique weapon
    • Characters get hit with fugly stick
    • Delete Dante's official track from fan backlash and lead singer being sexual predator
    • Same studio responsible for Dead Rising sequels

My hype went from about S rank to D in one day. The DLC malarkey alone is enough for me to wait for this one to hit the bargain bins unless there's some much better news before release. Trish looks ghastly and it appears she got breast reduction surgery. Lady's jaw structure got like 80% more masculine.

Er, the Dead Rising sequels were developed by Capcom Vancouver who, rather unfortunately for those involved, got shut down during the week.

DMC V is being developed by their internal studio Dev Studio 1 and is being directed by the original franchise Director, Hideaki Itsuno.

Oh yeah I read about them closing and misremembered it as them being involved somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

• DLC announced before release
    • DLC includes unique weapon

You can hardly be surprised about a DLC announcement, this is capcom, it's what they do.

DMC4SE had DLC so I was expecting it again but in DMC4SE it was cosmetic and grind-skipping red orbs. They didn't lock out anything like weapons which is absolutely not how you do DLC for this kind of genre. You essentially have to pay premium price over the standard if you want the full range of combos, which is crucial to the DMC community with things like combo videos. It is only 1 weapon to be fair, but that's how it starts I guess. Locking the classic music into premium price (even though I've payed for every single DMC game multiple times over) is also unwelcome. Just more reason I'll be bargain hunting this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

DLC before the game is what everyone does now.

Don't see what's wrong with the character models either. I only played DMC1 & 2 and that was years and years ago and they seem in line with DMC's shtick.

Multiplayer listed at one point.

Multiplayer listed at one point.

Yeah, up to 3 players. I'm guessing multiplayer Bloody Palace mode.

That's cool because it is something I've always wanted to do. That said I heard there'd be NPC Trish/Lady for certain segments. I don't want a RE5 Sheva NPC tack on just because you're playing singleplayer.

Was going to post in humour thread but here's probably better

https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/906613701926559744

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

DMC4SE had DLC so I was expecting it again but in DMC4SE it was cosmetic and grind-skipping red orbs. They didn't lock out anything like weapons which is absolutely not how you do DLC for this kind of genre. You essentially have to pay premium price over the standard if you want the full range of combos, which is crucial to the DMC community with things like combo videos. It is only 1 weapon to be fair, but that's how it starts I guess. Locking the classic music into premium price (even though I've payed for every single DMC game multiple times over) is also unwelcome. Just more reason I'll be bargain hunting this one.

I can agree with you but short of an outcry (even with one) nothing will stop them doing this and the same to so many of their games. It's wrong and greedy but for DMC only, they can literally bleed me dry if it plays well.

Advertisement