Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Club Championships 2018-19

• 04-09-2018 12:57pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So end of the intercounty season means that the real business of the club championships are going to take centre stage.

In the Meath senior football championships, after the ridiculously convoluted group stages, we've reached the quarter final stages this weekend.

Summerhill v St. Colmcille's
    Summerhill were last years beaten finalists while Cilles narrowly avoided a relegation playoff having reached the 2017 All Ireland Intermediate final. Summerhill topped their group while Cilles came second to Ratoath. Should be a very interesting game. Summerhill have the experience over Cilles but Cilles will have the likes of Graham Reilly, Ben Brennan and James Conlon in the forward line who'd be a handful for any defence. Think the 'Hill will have enough to get by.

Dunboyne v Gaeil Colmcille
    The Kells side beat Wolfe Tones in the preliminary quarter final just last night. They were also involved in an intermediate hurling quarter final on Saturday meaning a lot of their players will be playing their third knockout game in 7 days. Dunboyne are favourites for the championship and were comfortably top of their group while never really impressing. I'd say they're slowly building as the season goes on and I'd expect them to account for Gaeil Colmcille. Kells however have a habit of causing upsets in quarter finals.

Skryne v Simonstown Gaels
    Simonstown are going for their third championship in a row after winning their first ever in 2016. Skryne came close to ending their 80 year uninterrupted stint in Senior football by being involved in a relegation playoff last year. They're a different side this year with Darragh Campion and Paddy O'Rourke scoring freely in the forwards. Simonstown were without the likes of Padraic McKeever and Seán Tobin for the majority of the group stage but rumour has it they're back in the team for the weekend. But Skryne are flying at the moment and I can see them ending Simonstown's reign as champions.

Ratoath v Donaghmore/Ashbourne
    Massive local derby in this game. Ratoath topped their group while Ashbourne came third in theirs. Both sets of players will know each other very well with lots of them being involved in underage finals over the last 10 years or so. Ratoath have the likes of the Wallaces and Conor McGill while Don/Ash have Brian Menton and Andrew Tormey in their ranks. Neither team has yet reached the adult heights that their recent underage successes have promised but the winner of this game will have an excellent chance of making the final at least. Don/Ash's experience of winning knockout games to count here.

Semis predictions are:
    Dunboyne - Skryne
    Don/Ash - Summerhill

Dunboyne to win it outright, finally.

In the hurling, it's at the semi final stage.

Ratoath v Kiltale
    Ratoath haven't reached the senior hurling final since 1969 but topped the group while beating Kiltale along the way. In Gavin McGowan, they have probably the most lethal forward in the county. Kiltale, on the other hand, are going for their 5th title in a row and their 6th in 7 years. But they only scraped through the group stages in 4th winning only 2 of their 5 games. But they were back on form in their last two games against Killyon and Longwood, scoring 8-40 and conceding only 18 points. They're peaking at the right time and can't see Ratoath getting a second win against them.

Trim v Kildalkey
    Trim came second in the weaker group B but managed to overcome Killyon in the quarter final. They're getting their main players back to fitness and will definitely put it up to Kildalkey. But Kildalkey will feel they left last year's championship behind them and I can't see them not making the final.

Kiltale seem to be coming into form at the right time so I'd tip them to win their 5 in a row against Kildalkey in the final.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford

Senior Hurling Championship semi finals
    De La Salle vs Abbeyside (Sat 22nd Sep)
    Ballygunner vs Passage (Sun 23rd Sep)

Senior Football Championship semi finals
    Ballinacourty vs The Nire (weekend of 29/30 Sep)
    Kilrossanty vs An Rinn (Weekend of 29/30 Sep)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Wicklow

Tinahely won the JCFC
    Hollywood won the JBFC
    Barndarrig won the JBHC
    Glenealy won the JAHC

None of the others finished yet.

Senior Football semi finals:

Arklow Geraldines Ballymoney vs Rathnew
    St Pats Wicklow Town vs TBD

Intermediate Foorball semi finals:

Kilmacanogue vs Tinahely
    Carnew vs Laragh

Junior A Football semi finals

An Tochar vs Valleymount
    Barndarrig vs Kilcoole

In the Senior Hurling the semi's will be:

Glenealy vs Carnew or Kiltegan
    Bray vs Eire Og Greystones or St Pats Wicklow Town

_

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Meath SFC semis are:
    Simonstown v St. Peter's Dunboyne
    Summerhill v Donaghmore/Ashbourne

Simonstown made light work of Skryne in the end. They seem to be peaking at the right time. Their semi final should be a cracker. Knockout games between the two teams always are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    That's disgraceful. I seen pics of Kavanaghs face, he's a lucky boy.

Ulster football really is a cesspit.

There's some audio floating around with someone (not sure who) describing the lad (a McCurry according to the audio) going down with both knees onto Kavanagh's face after he fell to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Wexford SFC is down to the semi final stages with the defending champions Starlights joined by reigning Leinster Intermediate champions Kilanerin, reigning SHC champions and last year's runners-up St.Martin's and perennial semi-finalists Shelmaliers.

My own club Castletown were well beaten by Starlights in the QF on Saturday evening. While they had a decent amount of the ball, they had no zip or urgency in the final third, and were effectively playing catch-up when Starlights got in for a poorly-defended goal before HT.

Starlights' second goal was the result of a mishap in defence, and they managed the game like Dublin thereafter. In fact, I timed a four minute spell in the second half where Starlights passed the ball laterally among themselves waiting for an opening and Castletown didn't lay a paw on them. It was a humbling evening for the losers really, as they have as good a panel that there is around in the county, and the best crop of young lads in a long time coming through as well, but are thoroughly mis-managed by Paul Bealin.

Only going on reports from the other games, but the three winners weren't duly tested in the end. Kilanerin, with Matty Forde and Conor Devitt leading the way, exploded out of the blocks with two goals in the first half to develop a decent lead on St.James. The Jimmies scored two goals themselves in the second half to pull to within two points, but Kilanerin tagged on a few more points to see themselves through. St.James were devoid a real attacking threat this season though, and I think Kilanerin's defence may be vulnerable against any of the other sides remaining in the draw.

Apparently Ciaran Lyng was the chief orchestrator as St.Martin's beat district rivals Glynn Barntown by four points. After conceding an early penalty, the winners struck 2-4 without reply to open up some breathing space. They actually scored just one more point in the second half, and were helped by the fact that Glynn were missing county hurling goalkeeper Mark Fanning (a decent forward) and had a half-fit Michael O'Regan. They missed seven scoreable frees over the hour , and it told in the end.

Shelmaliers were the last team to confirm their passage to the last four with a 2-10 to 0-11 win over St.Anne's. Shels have as many big names as anyone else in the competition, but seem to have a mental block when they reach a semi-final (they have never appeared in the final). Still, there seems to be a bit more resolve about them this year, and the fact that they topped their group ahead of Starlights, and have a 100% record suggests that their hoodoo may about to be broken.

Personally, I can't separate Starlights, Martin's and Shelmaliers in terms of outright favourtism, but I would rank Kilanerin just below the other three. Although worse teams have gone all the way before.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Down to quarter finals in both codes in Clare. Hurling quarter finals this weekend.

Clooney/Quin v o callaghens mills
    Eire Óg v kilmaley
    Cratloe v sixmilebridge
    Ballyea v inagh kilnamona

These are all very 50/50 ties. Main blow for my own club is that Shane o donnell has just left for Harvard. Still a lot of firepower though so hopefully will just scrape through. Tie of the round is cratloe and the bridge. A derby and they have basically been the two most consistent clubs for the last 8 years or so. Might get a slight shock with inagh beating ballyea who have now lost Flanagan.

Football quarter final draw was just made and they take place the following weekend.

Eire Óg v ennistymon
    KIB v Corofin
    Cratloe v Cooraclare
    Miltown v clonlegad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Blackrock v Midleton and UCC V Imokilly in the Cork senior hurling semi finals.
    Hopefully a club side will prevail as its always a very hollow victory if a representative side wins IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wexford SFC is down to the semi final stages with the defending champions Starlights joined by reigning Leinster Intermediate champions Kilanerin, reigning SHC champions and last year's runners-up St.Martin's and perennial semi-finalists Shelmaliers.

My own club Castletown were well beaten by Starlights in the QF on Saturday evening. While they had a decent amount of the ball, they had no zip or urgency in the final third, and were effectively playing catch-up when Starlights got in for a poorly-defended goal before HT.

Starlights' second goal was the result of a mishap in defence, and they managed the game like Dublin thereafter. In fact, I timed a four minute spell in the second half where Starlights passed the ball laterally among themselves waiting for an opening and Castletown didn't lay a paw on them. It was a humbling evening for the losers really, as they have as good a panel that there is around in the county, and the best crop of young lads in a long time coming through as well, but are thoroughly mis-managed by Paul Bealin.

Only going on reports from the other games, but the three winners weren't duly tested in the end. Kilanerin, with Matty Forde and Conor Devitt leading the way, exploded out of the blocks with two goals in the first half to develop a decent lead on St.James. The Jimmies scored two goals themselves in the second half to pull to within two points, but Kilanerin tagged on a few more points to see themselves through. St.James were devoid a real attacking threat this season though, and I think Kilanerin's defence may be vulnerable against any of the other sides remaining in the draw.

Apparently Ciaran Lyng was the chief orchestrator as St.Martin's beat district rivals Glynn Barntown by four points. After conceding an early penalty, the winners struck 2-4 without reply to open up some breathing space. They actually scored just one more point in the second half, and were helped by the fact that Glynn were missing county hurling goalkeeper Mark Fanning (a decent forward) and had a half-fit Michael O'Regan. They missed seven scoreable frees over the hour , and it told in the end.

Shelmaliers were the last team to confirm their passage to the last four with a 2-10 to 0-11 win over St.Anne's. Shels have as many big names as anyone else in the competition, but seem to have a mental block when they reach a semi-final (they have never appeared in the final). Still, there seems to be a bit more resolve about them this year, and the fact that they topped their group ahead of Starlights, and have a 100% record suggests that their hoodoo may about to be broken.

Personally, I can't separate Starlights, Martin's and Shelmaliers in terms of outright favourtism, but I would rank Kilanerin just below the other three. Although worse teams have gone all the way before.

Saw the two Sunday matches. Martins-Barntown was a dreadful game. Martins had a brief spell in the first half where the scored 2-4 that won them the match and they played some decent football for the rest of that spell but they were shocking in the 2nd half only scoring 1 point. Barntown were just awful, they missed some really easy frees and made no impact on the Martins defence. Really low standard of play in this match, no score for at least 15 minutes in the 2nd half for either side, poor shooting from both teams and lots of frees. All of the negatives of Gaelic Football summed up in one match.

Other match was much better. Shelmailers were the better side and really should have scored another goal. They missed 3 clear cut goal chances in the first half. Annes also missed 2 really good goal chances in the second half. Shelmailers look a good side and have a real threat in the forward line but their defense is a bit porous and they wouldn't want to give away as many frees as they did on Sunday. They'd be my favourites for the Championship although I haven't seen Kilarnerin play. I wasn't impressed with Martins who look much better at the Hurling, Shelmailers beat Starlights convincingly earlier in the Championship and Starlight's forward line doesn't look as strong as Shelmailers.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Saw the two Sunday matches. Martins-Barntown was a dreadful game. Martins had a brief spell in the first half where the scored 2-4 that won them the match and they played some decent football for the rest of that spell but they were shocking in the 2nd half only scoring 1 point. Barntown were just awful, they missed some really easy frees and made no impact on the Martins defence. Really low standard of play in this match, no score for at least 15 minutes in the 2nd half for either side, poor shooting from both teams and lots of frees. All of the negatives of Gaelic Football summed up in one match.

Other match was much better. Shelmailers were the better side and really should have scored another goal. They missed 3 clear cut goal chances in the first half. Annes also missed 2 really good goal chances in the second half. Shelmailers look a good side and have a real threat in the forward line but their defense is a bit porous and they wouldn't want to give away as many frees as they did on Sunday. They'd be my favourites for the Championship although I haven't seen Kilarnerin play. I wasn't impressed with Martins who look much better at the Hurling, Shelmailers beat Starlights convincingly earlier in the Championship and Starlight's forward line doesn't look as strong as Shelmailers.

That first game is indicative of the general lack of quality in the championship as a whole. Yes it is competitive, with only two clubs managing to retain their titles since the great eight-in-a-row Duffry Rovers team (St.Anne's 00-01 and Horeswood 05-06), but no side has made any impression at all at provincial level. Maybe its down to scheduling issues whereby the games (in both codes) come thick and fast and there is very little recovery time to prepare for Leinster, but that's a flimsy excuse considering how well some of the Wexford clubs have done in the lower grades in recent years. Two Leinster champions in the county last year, can any other county claim similar success?

My senior hurling previews will come later in the week when I get some info about form/injuries etc :D

The Wexford senior hurling championship reaches its quarter-final stages this weekend. Nationally speaking, the biggest news would be the lack of Oulart in the knock-out stages. In fact, had they lost their final group game against Rathnure by a point more, they would be facing into a relegation final with neighbours Buffers Alley, which would have broken all previous attendance records. Instead, they finished fifth on "scores-for" and it seems to be the beginning of the end for a side that changed the hurling landscape within the county, but perhaps underachieved on the provincial stage. Most of their key players are at the wrong side of 30, and they have no real top talent coming through at underage in comparison to the likes of St.Martin's and Naomh Eanna in particular.

St.Martin's vs Ferns- Ferns were actually the great beneficiaries of Oulart's demise as their one-point win over Glynn Barntown saw them sneak the final quarter-final berth in the group despite playing with fourteen men for the whole second half. Ian Byrne is back hurling well for them, while they will need a huge performance from county man Paul Morris to shock the defending champions. Martin's pretty much sauntered to the title last year apart from nearly been caught by Buffers Alley in the QF (with the aid of the ref) and aren't as vibrant this year. But they haven't had a full selection to chose from yet, and with Rory O'Connor back fit again, I see them winning by 4-5 points.

Rapparees-Rathnure:Rapps are one of three clubs on course for a senior double, and play an attractive brand of attacking hurling. Rathnure deservedly downed Oulart the last day out, and also beat quietly-fancied Naomh Eanna in round one, but were inconsistent in their other group games. Emerging star Rory Higgins will need minding, while the potential match-up between Jack Guiney and All-Star nominee Liam Ryan could be worth watching. Rapps by 3 points.

Shelmaliers vs Oylegate: has the potential to be the tie of the round. Oylegate are an emerging team that have acquitted well to senior since winning Intermediate in 2016, and have the right age profile to be in the shake-up for a few years. Damien Reck is an outstanding leader in and around the middle, Seamus Casey is a consistent free-taker and a threat from play, while Podge Doran is rejuvenated at the edge of the square. While they were already through before their final group game with Gorey, they will be concerned about conceding six goals that day and by all accounts could have easily conceded more. Shelmaliers haven't pushed on since winning their first ever senior title in 2014, but have a few talented young forwards coming through in Ross Banville (outstanding freetaker for someone only 17-18), Sean Keane Carroll and Conor Hearne. Will be close, but I tip Oylegate. Just.

St.Anne's vs. Naomh Eanna:
    Gorey have been many punters tip to topple St.Martin's crown, and they have certainly lit up the championship this year. There was much debate about the validity or otherwise over Cathal Dunbar's controversial move from Ballygarrett, but he has been a huge addition to an attack which has seen the pressure ease off Conor McDonald's shoulders. Plenty of good young lads throughout the field in comparison to St.Anne's who are workmanlike but long in the tooth. They will need Diarmuid O'Keeffe to discover the form he is capable of, but even then I don't think it will be enough. Gorey by 4-5 points.

One of the iconic clubs in Wexford, Buffers Alley, are on the brink of a second relegation since the turn of the decade. They face Glynn this Saturday, the same club that sent them down in 2012. Neither side have had any run of decent form to establish a favourite, and I know there will be a kick in Buffers Alley. The relegation finals tend to be highly entertaining affairs, but I see this been more cagey, particularly with the bad weather forecast. Glynn by 2 points.

The stand-out matches in the Intermediate championship pits John Mullane's Adamstown against Leinster junior champions and neighbours Fethard, and Matthew O'Hanlon in direct opposition with Padraig Foley as St.James' take on Crossabeg-Ballymurn. Bunclody and Cloughbawn should ease through vs Rathgarogue Cushinstown and Shamrocks respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Down to quarter finals in both codes in Clare. Hurling quarter finals this weekend.

Clooney/Quin v o callaghens mills
    Eire Óg v kilmaley
    Cratloe v sixmilebridge
    Ballyea v inagh kilnamona

These are all very 50/50 ties. Main blow for my own club is that Shane o donnell has just left for Harvard. Still a lot of firepower though so hopefully will just scrape through. Tie of the round is cratloe and the bridge. A derby and they have basically been the two most consistent clubs for the last 8 years or so. Might get a slight shock with inagh beating ballyea who have now lost Flanagan.

Football quarter final draw was just made and they take place the following weekend.

Eire Óg v ennistymon
    KIB v Corofin
    Cratloe v Cooraclare
    Miltown v clonlegad

What happened to Paul Flanagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

What happened to Paul Flanagan?

Surgery anyway. Not exactly sure on what though. Told today that Carrigg is also out for Ballyea so they are really down some key men.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Quarter final stage down here

East Kerry v South Kerry

Dr Crokes v Legion

Austin Stacks v Dingle

Kerins O’Rahillys v St Brendans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Gael85

Did Paul Bealin son transfer to Castletown? Is Eddie Condron still playing with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,024 ✭✭✭zetecescort

Cork senior football 1/4 finals this weekend

Saturday September 22nd

@ Pairc Uí Rinn, SFC QF, St Finbarr's v Douglas, 6.00pm

@ Pairc Uí Rinn, SFC QF, Duhallow v Valley Rovers, 7.45pm

Sunday September 23rd

@ Dunmanway, SFC QF, Carbery Rangers v Clonakilty, 2.15pm

@ Dunmanway, SFC QF, Nemo Rangers v Castlehaven, 4.00pm

Gael85 wrote: »
    Did Paul Bealin son transfer to Castletown? Is Eddie Condron still playing with them?

Jonathan played underage for the club (bit of a progidy) and was a sub when they last won the title in 2010. Moved up to college and joined Parnells for the last while before returning this season. Is the top scorer in the championship after the QF, and pretty much carried Castletown up front this year. Deadly at frees and pulling off points from mid-range.

Eddie was also part of the 2010 squad as well but moved to Europe soon after. Playing football over there last I heard. Always a reliable player that could play in numerous positions. His flexibility was key for us that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Gael85

Jonathan played underage for the club (bit of a progidy) and was a sub when they last won the title in 2010. Moved up to college and joined Parnells for the last while before returning this season. Is the top scorer in the championship after the QF, and pretty much carried Castletown up front this year. Deadly at frees and pulling off points from mid-range.

Eddie was also part of the 2010 squad as well but moved to Europe soon after. Playing football over there last I heard. Always a reliable player that could play in numerous positions. His flexibility was key for us that year.

Will young Bealin play with Wexford now? He did play minor with ye a few years ago. Went college with Eddie. Was a sound lad.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Will young Bealin play with Wexford now? He did play minor with ye a few years ago. Went college with Eddie. Was a sound lad.

Seemingly called up for training alright. Early days for anything to be concrete yet though.

• Advertisement

Wicklow IHC Quarter Finals

Kilcoole 1-15 2-08 Glenealy
    Carnew 9-13 1-08 St. Pats Wicklow Town

First SHC QF was Carnew 2-18 2-09 Kiltegan

Second underway.

Edit - Pats beat Eire Og 1-18 to 1-16 after extra time.

Hollywood v Baltinglass in the SFC QF to come.

_

Cork senior football 1/4 finals this weekend

Saturday September 22nd

@ Pairc Uí Rinn, SFC QF, St Finbarr's v Douglas, 6.00pm

@ Pairc Uí Rinn, SFC QF, Duhallow v Valley Rovers, 7.45pm

Sunday September 23rd

@ Dunmanway, SFC QF, Carbery Rangers v Clonakilty, 2.15pm

@ Dunmanway, SFC QF, Nemo Rangers v Castlehaven, 4.00pm

wins for St. Finbarrs, Duhallow, Carbery Rangers and last years beaten All Ireland finalists Nemo lost 1-11 to 0-4 to Castlehaven

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Kiltale came through their semi final against Ratoath as expected 3-17 to 1-14. They were 10 up after 10 minutes so it was always going to be hard work for Ratoath to get back into it.
    In Saturdays semi final there was a big shock when Trim got the better of Kildalkey 1-12 to 9 points. Wasn't at it but it sounds as if Kildalkey had their eyes on the final already.

Draws made for championship semi finals:

SHC:
    Carnew Emmets v Bray Emmets
    St Pats Wicklow Town v Glenealy

IHC:
    Carnew v Avondale
    Kilcoole v Arklow Rocks

SFC
    Arklow Geraldines Ballymoney v Rathnew
    Hollywood v St Pats Wicklow Town

_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

What’s the crack in Longford Biys?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

What’s the crack in Longford Biys?

Same as the last 2 years, Mullinaughta play neighbours Abbeylara for the third time in a row. I haven't actually seen any of the games this year, but Mullinaughta will be favourite to beat Abbey again especially as Abbey's best forward Robbie Smyth is a long term injury. This is Abbeylara's 4th final in a row, yet to win one.

Rathcline and Moydow/Ardagh drew in the Intermediate final today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Kilkenny SHC Quarter Final Draw

Dicksboro v Ballyhale Shamrocks
    Bennettsbridge v Mullinavat
    O Loughlin Gaels v Clara
    James Stephens v Carrickshock/Erin’s Own

Boro v Shamrocks is a real heavyweight clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Same as the last 2 years, Mullinaughta play neighbours Abbeylara for the third time in a row. I haven't actually seen any of the games this year, but Mullinaughta will be favourite to beat Abbey again especially as Abbey's best forward Robbie Smyth is a long term injury. This is Abbeylara's 4th final in a row, yet to win one.

Rathcline and Moydow/Ardagh drew in the Intermediate final today.
    No doubts as to who are the best and 2nd best in Longford the last 3 years and Mullinaughta have given a good account of themselves in Leinster the last few years.

• Advertisement

Cork SHC semifinals next Sunday

Sunday September 30th

@ Pairc Uí Chaoimh, Imokilly v UCC, 2.30pm

@ Pairc Uí Chaoimh, Blackrock v Midleton 4.15pm

Advertisement