Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICU AGM

• 16-09-2018 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Anything interesting happen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Tim Harding

Your motion was seconded by me and hotly debated for several minutes. Ultimately it was defeated and a modified version of the executive's motion was passed, but with several amendments in the spirit of your motion. I cannot write more as I am too busy today. Others please comment on other issues, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Your motion was seconded by me and hotly debated for several minutes. Ultimately it was defeated and a modified version of the executive's motion was passed, but with several amendments in the spirit of your motion. I cannot write more as I am too busy today. Others please comment on other issues, thank you.

I wouldn't mind betting that most of the people who opposed the 1900 floor are players rated below 1900.
    I look forward to seeing the amendments, it sounds like they are at least a step in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

I sent you on what I remember the amendments to be, Peter - I was running a bit of a fever and had a contact lense malfunction midway through so you'll have to wait for the minutes for an accurate account.

The average rating in the room was about 1950 (FIDE) from a quick calculation. Your motion was defeated maybe 4-11 but the amendments (below) passed very comfortably. The invited players section was slimmed down roughly to the below:

Appendix 1: Invited players
    Players in the Irish Chess Championship may have the rating requirement ignored provided they are nominated by:
    a.The ICU Executive (maximum 2 players)
    b.The tournament organisers (maximum 1 player)
    The Irish Women’s Champion, the Irish 50+ and 65+ Champions, and all previous IRL winners of this event are automatically nominated to play in the Irish Championship irrespective of rating.

The committee were also asked to come up with a better solution for the next general meeting.

It is a big improvement for sure. I still don't like the idea that someone can be allowed to play because some wealthy sponsor or over ambitious parent puts pressure on the organiser or unduly influences someone on the ICU but otherwise I'd be in favour of the changes.

It is easy to pump up the average rating in the room to 1950 if there is a GM or IM present :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement