Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Ospreys, Fri 14 Sep, 7:35pm, Eir Sports

• 13-09-2018 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster:
    Mike Haley; Andrew Conway, Sammy Arnold, Dan Goggin, Darren Sweetnam; Joey Carbery, Duncan Williams;
    James Cronin, Rhys Marshall, Stephen Archer; Tadhg Beirne, Darren O’Shea; Peter O’Mahony (C), Chris Cloete, Arno Botha.

Replacements: Mike Sherry, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Jean Kleyn, Tommy O’Donnell, James Hart, Ian Keatley, Jaco Taute.

OSPREYS​​

15 James Hook
    14 Tom Williams
    13 Joe Thomas
    12 Cory Allen
    11 Luke Morgan
    10 Sam Davies
    9 Tom Habberfield

1 Rhodri Jones
    2 Scott Baldwin
    3 Tom Botha
    4 Giorgi Nemsadze
    5 Adam Beard
    6 Olly Cracknell (Capt)
    7 Morgan Morris
    8 Sam Cross

REPLACEMENTS

16 Ifan Phillips
    17 Nicky Smith
    18 Alex Jeffries
    19 James Ratti
    20 Guido Volpi
    21 Matthew Aubrey
    22 Tiaan Thomas-Wheeler
    23 Hanno Dirksen

Luke Morgan makes his Guinness PRO14 debut
    Morgan Morris makes his first PRO14 start
    Guido Volpi will make his Ospreys debut if he comes off the bench

The following players were unavailable for selection due to injury:

Lloyd Ashley – Shoulder
    Dan Baker – Knee
    Gheorghe Gajion – Hamstring
    Keelan Giles – Knee
    Paul James – Shoulder
    Will Jones – Shoulder
    Lesley Klim – Hamstring
    Rob McCusker – Calf
    Sam Parry – Bicep
    Luke Price- Fractured tibia
    Gareth Thomas – Shoulder
    Scott Williams – Hamstring

Chris Cloete and Peter O'Mahony return!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Dm-CXHTW4AA4tAM.jpg:large

• That's a strong Munster team, they'll have too much for Ospreys. JJ completely out of the frame - feel for him to be honest but not unexpected.

Strong backrow and Beirne get's his first start. Expect a much tighter performance this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Looks like the Ospreys are trying to focus on certain games and this isn't one of them. They've rested all their big names; only 3 players remain from the side that beat the Cheetahs. Shame as this is normally a cracker of a fixture but Munster pack is far too strong for the Ospreys to handle them.

The line reflects the lineups. Munster are 16 point favourites.

Edit: Now they're 18!

Now it's 20. They don't wait around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Now it's 20. They don't wait around.

Money must've flooded in.

But it's only the Irish sides that disrespect the competition with second string lineups...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,267 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ospreys could get battered here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

AdamD wrote: »
    Ospreys could get battered here

We could get to 99 phases before we turn it over on the try line :P

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

munster -23 now !!!

AWJ must be having his minutes minded

• Advertisement

This makes three consecutive starts at number eight for Arno Botha. POM/Cloete/Stander is the obvious first choice backrow but the bench spot between TOD and Botha is up for grabs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

sydthebeat wrote: »
    munster -23 now !!!

AWJ must be having his minutes minded

Was -10 before the teams were announced. Some movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Buer wrote: »
    Looks like the Ospreys are trying to focus on certain games and this isn't one of them. They've rested all their big names; only 3 players remain from the side that beat the Cheetahs. Shame as this is normally a cracker of a fixture but Munster pack is far too strong for the Ospreys to handle them.
    Cracker yes but not very competitive in recent years.

2017: 36-10
    2017: 23-03
    2016: 33-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

Can't see this being anything but a Munster win...but a tight one...10 points at best... we're off the pace so far, players being eased back into duty and think the bookies are extracting the urine a little with their spread.

Can't see this being anything but a Munster win...but a tight one...10 points at best... we're off the pace so far, players being eased back into duty and think the bookies are extracting the urine a little with their spread.

To a man the munster forwards are better than their counterparts....

Munster should be able to choose what figure they want to win by.

I'll be shocked if its less than 20 (on a dry track)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mookie Blaylock

sydthebeat wrote: »
    To a man the munster forwards are better than their counterparts....

Munster should be able to choose what figure they want to win by.

I'll be shocked if its less than 20 (on a dry track)

It's not about being better, it's about game fitness levels

It's not about being better, it's about game fitness levels

Are you actually serious???

This is going to be the first start in a pro 14 game this season from practically ALL that ospreys team.....

There are two teams playing this game you know.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

That backrow though...
    No surprise to see JJ not included, Carbery needs starts and Keatley needs gametime.  
    Three into two doesn't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

It's still depressing to know that if Carbery gets injured we are back to square one. The dream team of Keatley and Hanrahan. Will Johnston be getting more of a look in soon? I haven't really been following the Munster A matches. Even as the 22 we can't persist with JJ and Keatley. We know what they offer. There are no more chances to shine, their ceiling is well and truly hit.
    If Carbery gets injured and Murray stays out for a few months, things start to look pretty bleak again. Sorry to be the pessimist but the key to this Munster side is health. Concerning drop off between 1st and 2nd choice in a few positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

It's still depressing to know that if Carbery gets injured we are back to square one. The dream team of Keatley and Hanrahan. Will Johnston be getting more of a look in soon? I haven't really been following the Munster A matches. Even as the 22 we can't persist with JJ and Keatley. We know what they offer. There are no more chances to shine, their ceiling is well and truly hit.
    If Carbery gets injured and Murray stays out for a few months, things start to look pretty bleak again. Sorry to be the pessimist but the key to this Munster side is health. Concerning drop off between 1st and 2nd choice in a few positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

We're back at square one partnering Joey with Duncan (the boy wonder) Williams

Mc Love wrote: »
    We're back at square one partnering Joey with Duncan (the boy wonder) Williams

He was one of your best performers last week. He's not a world beater but I'll never understand the level of sh*t he gets from fans.

He's a completely adequate Pro14 scrum half.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He was one of your best performers last week. He's not a world beater but I'll never understand the level of sh*t he gets from fans.

He's a completely adequate Pro14 scrum half.

You don't watch him every week. Perfectly adequate isn't good enough when you play so many games without Murray. And it looks like we'll be relying on him in the first two rounds in Europe. His previous record in big European games is pretty bad. The thought of him starting at 9 in Exeter fills me with dread.

Now saying that I wouldn't be one of those to abuse him, as I blame Munster rugby for persevering for so long with a player when it's obvious a better backup was needed to Murray for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

You don't watch him every week. Perfectly adequate isn't good enough when you play so many games without Murray. And it looks like we'll be relying on him in the first two rounds in Europe. His previous record in big European games is pretty bad. The thought of him starting at 9 in Exeter fills me with dread.

Now saying that I wouldn't be one of those to abuse him, as I blame Munster rugby for persevering for so long with a player when it's obvious a better backup was needed to Murray for years.
    But Munster have had plenty of academy and other senior contracted scrum halfs and none have done enough on a regular basis to surpass him as back up to CM. That isnt Munster's fault.
    He isnt good enough to start at 9 in european games but he's still showwn himself as better than others as back up for years.
    He has generally done better in the last year or two than he had for years before hand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

... but I'll never understand the level of sh*t he gets from fans.

He seems to attract more ire than most, alright. I reckon it's at least partly down to the position and the scrum-cap.

I would say I'd watch about 80% of Munster's matches so yeah, I watch him most weeks if he features. His shortcomings are clear but it still doesn't come close to the level of grief he gets. He puts in some very solid performances in the Pro14 which is the level he's expected to deliver at.

DW tends to be the automatic go to guy for criticism if things aren't going well despite the pack in front of him having been well beaten at times. Conor Murray had a pretty insipid spell for Munster towards the end of last season which was largely glossed over. If Williams had been on the field, he'd have been hung out to dry by some.

Munster cannot just magic up a replacement. They've been seeking to improve their options at 9 but Williams is the best of the rest and has done a solid enough job. Leinster are the only province with a definitively better second choice scrum half and that's due to using a NIQ spot on him as a project player. Munster had needs elsewhere and couldn't afford to do that for a sub. They've tried TOL, Stringer (who requested to leave), Hart and now Cronin.

I suspect in the next 1-2 years they will indeed use a NIQ spot on a scrum half as Conor Murray turns 30 this season and they'll look to future proof.

Trust me, Murrays late season form was not glossed over in the circles I move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭phog

Where do we get a better scrumhalf than Williams? The "anyone or my granny would do better doesn't wash as we've seen no one has come close to knocking him off his perch.

Also, in a lot of the games where he has under performed its behind a losing pack with him getting poor or slow ball. We've all seen him trying to marshal guys into an attacking or receiving line but he gets the blame for slow ball - it's fairly simple a scrumhalf needs someone to pass the ball to.

I understand the annoyance at Munster but I can't accept the abuse he gets nor could I accept the booing Keatley got. It rankles with me that fans can go that low.

Williams is an average dirtracker scrum-half. In fairness Munster are trying to move on from him as he turns 33 in April and have had a number of scrum-halves in the academy that didn't make it over the last number of seasons. Given the current state of contracts (all four senior scrum-halves are out of contract while two NIEs in Botha and Taute are also), Munster will have the option of using an NIE spot on a scrum-half if necessary.

• Advertisement

Williams is an average dirtracker scrum-half. In fairness Munster are trying to move on from him as he turns 33 in April and have had a number of scrum-halves in the academy that didn't make it over the last number of seasons. Given the current state of contracts (all four senior scrum-halves are out of contract while two NIEs in Botha and Taute are also), Munster will have the option of using an NIE spot on a scrum-half if necessary.

Don't forget that both Kleyn and Marshall will be IQ at the start of next season too. Plenty of scope for NIQs next year (although probably not the money).

Advertisement