Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leak in gutter.

• 13-09-2018 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi, Does anyone know somebody that will fix a leak in a gutter. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Anyone thats any way handy and has access to a ladder. Don't hire travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

If its a crack or a loose joint you could just seal it with some Tec7. Any hardware shop will have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,779 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

shockwave wrote:
    If its a crack or a loose joint you could just seal it with some Tec7. Any hardware shop will have it.

Apologies for hijacking your thread op, any recommendations for sealing a leaky roof, was around town yesterday, very confused with the options, would the tec7 do the job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking your thread op, any recommendations for sealing a leaky roof, was around town yesterday, very confused with the options, would the tec7 do the job?

What kind of roof is it?

wexie wrote:
    What kind of roof is it?

Normal pitched roof, ridge tiles starting to leak, major job needing to be done, just need quick fix before the wet weather this coming week

• Advertisement

Normal pitched roof, ridge tiles starting to leak, major job needing to be done, just need quick fix before the wet weather this coming week

Well I'm by no means a roofing expert (I asked what kinda roof cause I'd imagine the way the various ones get fixed are very different) but Tec7 will seal just about anything.

If it was me I'd say give it a go if you can see where it's leaking.

Having said that though is it just a case of replacing the ridge tiles? While you're up there like.

wexie wrote:
    Having said that though is it just a case of replacing the ridge tiles? While you're up there like.

Unfortunately not, the original job was truly awful, builder cutting corners, we ve had countless people try fix it over the years now, it desperately requires a major overhaul. I wouldn't dare chance that myself, just too dangerous, I ll be plugging it from inside

• Registered Users Posts: 14,016 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Tec 7 to seal it and maybe a little plaster to cover if it would suit it when the tec7 is dry.

Text will do the job anyway most likely

I see you said plugging from inside, you will need to seal it outside their the water will come through somewhere else

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I wouldn't dare chance that myself, just too dangerous, I ll be plugging it from inside
    I see you said plugging from inside, you will need to seal it outside their the water will come through somewhere else

^^^^

What he said, if you plug it from the inside you won't stop the ingress, you'll just move the problem elsewhere (and it may not be at all obvious where elsewhere is).

The goal should be to stop it from entering the roof, not from dripping out of the roof (if that makes sense)

(unless of course it's such an obvious and large leak you think you may get the Tec7 all the way through it to the outside of the roof, in which case I would definitely recommend a roofer)

Was thinking of using a sealant and then sealing the whole job with flashband, would this work?

• Advertisement

Was thinking of using a sealant and then sealing the whole job with flashband, would this work?

I don't know to be honest. I really think sealing it from the inside will just move the problem elsewhere but I guess it depends on how close you can get from the inside and how much of the 'problem' you can see.

wexie wrote: »
    I don't know to be honest. I really think sealing it from the inside will just move the problem elsewhere but I guess it depends on how close you can get from the inside and how much of the 'problem' you can see.

its a fair point, but unfortunately its all i can do at the moment, as it looks like we re in for a particularly bad spell of weather over the next few days, ive no choice but to try tackle this now myself. i can get direct access to the leaks from inside, but as you said, i may have limited abilities to try deal with it from inside. thanks very much for your help though.

its a fair point, but unfortunately its all i can do at the moment, as it looks like we re in for a particularly bad spell of weather over the next few days, ive no choice but to try tackle this now myself. i can get direct access to the leaks from inside, but as you said, i may have limited abilities to try deal with it from inside. thanks very much for your help though.

Was just thinking this over and thinking of what I would do and I guess you're right. It's far from an ideal solution but probably better than nothing.

Good luck

It's a pain in the hole (hurhur)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can't fix a roof leak from inside - just a fact. Anyway this is dominating someone else's thread.

You can't fix a roof leak from inside - just a fact. Anyway this is dominating someone else's thread.

well im gonna try patch it, i realise i wont be able to fix it per-say, but its better than waiting to save the money, possibly a few months, for a professional to fix it, i suspect it might be the better option for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Did you get any one??
    This fella seems to do a lot

http://WWW.Waterfordhandymanfacebook.com/

Have a leak myself just need to bite the bullet and get it fixed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Hey deise08,Thanks for that, you put me on the right track.Getting it done next week, so thanks.Wanderer78,you really did hijack my tread.

Hey deise08,Thanks for that, you put me on the right track.Getting it done next week, so thanks.Wanderer78,you really did hijack my tread.

Have you any others I could hijack?

Advertisement