Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Feck, I walk past that place all the time when I'm back in Dublin. Must pop in. Used to have some excellent games there but just figured it would have turned into a slot machine dungeon by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Last time I was there around 5 years ago they had a rare Sega discrete game called Monaco GP. (a 70's game no CPU type game that used discrete logic circuits - like pong).

It was still working and taking coins. Was it still there? Must be the only ones in the world at this stage still in service.

I remembered seeing it in mame a several years previous for a short time and it was removed from mame as they couldn't accurately emulate discrete games. Same reason pong is not in (official) mame.

Going to head out there on Saturday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭geotrig

take pics and post them ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Used to be one in Salthill back in the 80s too.
    Richie Knucklez and Todd Tuckey have mentioned it in some of their videos - Todd is particularly fond of his, and Richie has an interesting repair technique for the boards...
    Last time I was there around 5 years ago they had a rare Sega discrete game called Monaco GP. (a 70's game no CPU type game that used discrete logic circuits - like pong).

It was still working and taking coins. Was it still there? Must be the only ones in the world at this stage still in service.

I remembered seeing it in mame a several years previous for a short time and it was removed from mame as they couldn't accurately emulate discrete games. Same reason pong is not in (official) mame.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Missed a decently priced copy of Vampire Chronicle on Dreamcast, just as I find out my car insurance renewal is €300 less than expected.

Should have bought it!

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Missed a decently priced copy of Vampire Chronicle on Dreamcast, just as I find out my car insurance renewal is €300 less than expected.

Should have bought it!

If its meant to be it'll come up again. I like to remind my friend on a yearly basis about the time he talked me out of buying a Sonic Crackers proto for €250. Bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Didn't see Monaco GP. 3 quarters of the place looks to be shuttered, so I guess they used to open the whole floor but have downsized in recent years and maybe they rotate in a couple things. The only bit open was the confectionery area that had the cabinets, some pool tables and then a bit at the back for slot machine area. The only semi-neglected looking thing was Sega Rally, that's limited to one screen and Outrun looked a bit faded, but was astonished as to how much of a timewarp the place felt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

That outrun cab when i was there last about 3-4 years ago was through a set of double doors at the back where the toilet is with a load of other cabs out of action. They Afterburner, operation thunderbolt, a donkey kong and a few other generic cabs i think. They must rotate some in and out when they break. There was a point blank as well i think.

They also have a lot of the kiddie rides there from when i was a kid 30 odd years ago, including the red baron type bi-plane from WW1, knightriders car and a helicopter that goes up and and down that i was in loads of times decades ago! Its a mad place in fairness, it is defo a time warp.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,769 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It used to be a very sizable arcade. Loads of games there. I remember they had Raiden, Outzone (only place I've ever seen that), Street Fighter 2 CE where the slot machines were, the Konami Asterix game and the Neo Geo Double Dragon fighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If its meant to be it'll come up again. I like to remind my friend on a yearly basis about the time he talked me out of buying a Sonic Crackers proto for €250. Bastard

Any idea what they're going for now? I think mine was only about 200.

• Advertisement

No idea, can't seem to find any in completed listings on ebay earlier.
    Theres a repro up for a fiver at the moment but why anyone would want that is beyond me:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yeah, who the hell would want a repro.... (Hides all his repros)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Inviere

Theres a repro up for a fiver at the moment but why anyone would want that is beyond me:confused:

If you haven't got an Everdrive or somesuch way of loading roms onto a real console, a €5 repro isn't a bad deal really

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for repros, it's just that sonic crackers is more of an engine demo than a game. A repro of that is pointless imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's the point of repros? Is it just a way for someone to have a faithful reprint of a rare game?

For me, it has to be original. If a game was so rare it was €500+, I'd just have to live without it. It wouldn't be the same having a repro, might as well just emulate it at that stage. But I'm sure there's more to it, it would be kinda cool to have a bootleg or prototype game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Interesting, this thread is nearly four years old!
    And won't be long before the renaming ceremony begins again.
    With 100 posts to go, I'll stick a thread up looking for suggestions.
    No suggestion is too dumb...

Hold on...

Some suggestions are too dumb, but them anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

We never topped "New Get City" IMHO

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Interesting, this thread is nearly four years old!
    And won't be long before the renaming ceremony begins again.
    With 100 posts to go, I'll stick a thread up looking for suggestions.
    No suggestion is too dumb...

Hold on...

Some suggestions are too dumb, but them anyway!

What A Horrible Night To Have A General Arcade And Retro Chat!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,352 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Championship Edition

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Here comes a new Chat - Turbo '4 New Challengers Edition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

"Retro Videogames Are Kinda Goodish Innit? Chat".

Oh no, not again, it's the Arcade and Retro General Chat Thread!

The Arcade and Retro (not Emulation) General Chat thread!

o1s1n wrote: »

I think we might have a winner already!

Its the thread where you can play as the bosses and therefore all users can choose to have moderator status.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Its the thread where you can play as the bosses and therefore all users can choose to have moderator status.

tenor.gif?itemid=4830834

"Look at me, I'm a geriatric old man who still plays video games, hurr durrr!"

“Games fam. Svideo Edition”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

General Arcade and Retro Chat - tagline removed at Nintendo's request.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

o1s1n wrote: »

A tiny but important fix added :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Doge

Inviere wrote: »
    “Games fam. Svideo Edition”

I'd criticize your choice but I'm finding it hard to come up with ones myself that are not politically incorrect.

General Wolfenstein 3D Chat: Insert Ze Gas!

:p

• Advertisement

General Arcade and Retro Discussion - Get to da Thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement