Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sam MaCuleys

• 10-09-2018 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Hearing tonight that Sam MaCuleys is closing down with all staff being made redundant, reason is due to rent being to high and not enough income to balance the books.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

914 wrote: »
    Hearing tonight that Sam MaCuleys is closing down with all staff being made redundant, reason is due to rent being to high and not enough income to balance the books.

Which one? They have 2 shops in the city, 1 on Broad street and another at Farronshoneen. And one in Dungarvan too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭914

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Which one? They have 2 shops in the city, 1 on Broad street and another at Farronshoneen. And one in Dungarvan too I think

Borad Street shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

Just heard the same; end of Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A Pharmacy not making shed loads of money? Shurely some mistake? Be interested to know what the rents are.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

Borad Street shop.

Not good to hear, big unit in a prominent location. And good few staff working there too, bad news If true

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Hearing tonight that Sam McCauleys is closing down with all staff being made redundant, reason is due to rent being to high and not enough income to balance the books.

And I'll say it again! Unless the WCC redevelop old city urban areas with a more
    modern styled developments this will not be the only closure. The city centre needs new and young blood to re-energise it.

And I'll say it again! Unless the WCC redevelop old city urban areas with a more
    modern styled developments this will not be the only closure. The city centre needs new and young blood to re-energise it.

You are also forgetting about the lack of disposable income that people have in Waterford. Waterford was ravaged by the recession and we are still slowly coming out of it.

Would modern style developments not be the city square expansion, planned michael st and north quays. The €19 million redevelopment of the city centre urban areas and redevelopment of the viking triangle?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Muttley79

Waterford is in series trouble.the government need to start a regeneration programme for Waterford and the south east region.its been ravaged by the recession and it's not coming out of it.meanwhile the rest of the country is booming.what the hell is going on in our city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Have a day of will ye. In the space of 10 posts the thread went from a chemist closing down to an economic apocalypse.

The reason it is closing down is that there are too many chemists in the area, that is all. That unit will be filled quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Waterford is in series trouble.the government need to start a regeneration programme for Waterford and the south east region.its been ravaged by the recession and it's not coming out of it.meanwhile the rest of the country is booming.what the hell is going on in our city

One shop pulls out and the city is fu*ked?

I do business around the country and Waterford is doing better then most.

One shop pulls out and the city is fu*ked?

I do business around the country and Waterford is doing better then most.

Waterford is doing better than dublin,cork,limerick Galway is it?the other cities of Ireland,or are we comparing Waterford to Leitrim or Cavan.take your head out of the sand,Waterford has been in bad state of affairs for a long time now and not much sign of an improvement

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Waterford is doing better than dublin,cork,limerick Galway is it?the other cities of Ireland,or are we comparing Waterford to Leitrim or Cavan.take your head out of the sand,Waterford has been in bad state of affairs for a long time now and not much sign of an improvement

Your right we should all move out.

You go first.

That's the best response you got?go back to bed and lay off the drugs kid ffs haha

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

To be honest the closure is more due to the fact that there is an abundance of chemists in the city now, Tesco all have one now in-store, you have them in Ardkeen, Lisduggan, etc.

There is so much competition that the profit margins are slim, then you add rates, rents and the wrong type of footfall in that area, (young families and tourists) who are going to enter a chemist specifically for that reason.

The (give my regards to) Broad Street shop was big, too big arguably. They've got Boots just a stones throw away who are a massive chain.

The Ring Road effect also probably strikes again, if you can go to a McAuleys at Williamstown Centre or visit Ardkeen, Kings Meadow etc then why would you traipse into the centre and fight for pay parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

BBM77 wrote: »
    Have a day of will ye. In the space of 10 posts the thread went from a chemist closing down to an economic apocalypse.

so true, typical reaction on here, no doubt we have our issues and obviously a mare for those involved but this overreaction stuff is so common, run for your lives or hairbrained comments.

The (give my regards to) Broad Street shop was big, too big arguably. They've got Boots just a stones throw away who are a massive chain.

The Ring Road effect also probably strikes again, if you can go to a McAuleys at Williamstown Centre or visit Ardkeen, Kings Meadow etc then why would you traipse into the centre and fight for pay parking?

Yeah, totally agree, if we all made more effort to support city centre in general, we would be better for it.

We should, but the rule of least resistance applies - live in suburbs so shop in suburbs. They have to work out a way to get people in who otherwise have no real need to go in.

We should, but the rule of least resistance applies - live in suburbs so shop in suburbs. They have to work out a way to get people in who otherwise have no real need to go in.

Yeah agree least resistance, but that is where the special effort comes in, not just for chemists, all shops, restaurants, pubs, supporting arts in city centre etc etc...but yeah, agree, if I'm stuck for cough medicine for sick child, I'm going to nearest chemist but could be doing more for ourselves/our city centre.

• Advertisement

That said the issue of rents has to be queried - it's been an ongoing theme that landlords in Waterford are charging at an unrealistic level, more appropriate for Cork than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭azimuth17

National chemists rep on WLR says chemists shops under pressure all over. I'd say Mulligans would win in terms of presentation any day over McCauley's. Staff numbers very large too in McCauley's. In Powers Chemists on Ballybricken the other day and they have a computerised dispensing system. Things are changing. Des Purcell said on radio they as much as have a new tenant for the shop in waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

azimuth17 wrote: »
    National chemists rep on WLR says chemists shops under pressure all over. I'd say Mulligans would win in terms of presentation any day over McCauley's. Staff numbers very large too in McCauley's. In Powers Chemists on Ballybricken the other day and they have a computerised dispensing system. Things are changing. Des Purcell said on radio they as much as have a new tenant for the shop in waiting.

I heard Nandos are going in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I heard Nandos are going in there.

That would be AMAZING!

lassykk wrote: »
    That would be AMAZING!

I heard it's another dealz

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I heard it's another dealz

I heard Besco are going in there.

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I heard Besco are going in there.

I heard darraghs are coming back

No one knows what will be replaced there. I'm just hoping its not another euro store, vapour, or second hand phone shops going in there.

Look at city Square, we all heard this that and the other and its still empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As much as id like Nandos to go in there i was only joking i didnt hear anything :o

But its a perfect location for Burger King to return or maybe even a KFC or Pizza Hut,but more than likely it will be a pound shop or something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

As much as id like Nandos to go in there i was only joking i didnt hear anything :o

But its a perfect location for Burger King to return or maybe even a KFC or Pizza Hut,but more than likely it will be a pound shop or something like that.

Brown Thomas.

Guaranteed.

Advertisement