Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Waterford pubs

• 09-09-2018 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

So I had a rare day out today on my own, Harvest Festival and all that. I stopped for a few bevs along the way and it made me realise what good pubs we have here in town.

Tullys: great selection of beers, good music and a lovely outside area
    J&K Walsh: a proper old style pub, no music, a great barman who has intelligent chat and a great manner
    Phil Grimes: what a revelation, never passed it when it was open until today. Lovely pub, excellent chat with the barman
    Heerys: great food (and it was needed) and good wine
    The Reg: terrific place, good beer and staff, great place in Waterford for live music outdoors

So yes, I had a lovely day out in this wonderful city of ours,

And now, sleep zzzzzzz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Congrats chief, had some American relatives visiting recently and I dragged them around town on a pub crawl. They were blown away by our pubs and the atmosphere in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭914

Fully agree with the OP. Some great pubs around the city, I always get annoyed when I hear people complain about our pub scene and then to find those who complain are rarely outside the applemarket.

Phillys has always been a great pub and Tom the barman is probably the nicest the fella you could meet.

I love the food in Geoffs, and other pubs that I like are alfies on the hill, the tap room and nickys. Also fond on stopping in katty barrys, the Munster and the fat angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Just curious, has anyone been to the Thirsty Scholar much? Ive passed by lots of times and often its closed and other times I see these kind of hipster type people outside watching the world go by. Is it a decent spot?

Just curious, has anyone been to the Thirsty Scholar much? Ive passed by lots of times and often its closed and other times I see these kind of hipster type people outside watching the world go by. Is it a decent spot?

Its been a while since I was in there, never had any complaints any time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭bullpost

914 wrote: »
    Fully agree with the OP. Some great pubs around the city, I always get annoyed when I hear people complain about our pub scene and then to find those who complain are rarely outside the applemarket.

Phillys has always been a great pub and Tom the barman is probably the nicest the fella you could meet.

I love the food in Geoffs, and other pubs that I like are alfies on the hill, the tap room and nickys. Also fond on stopping in katty barrys, the Munster and the fat angel.

Is Nickys the old Tommy Barrs? If so whats it like now?

• Advertisement

bullpost wrote: »
    Is Nickys the old Tommy Barrs? If so whats it like now?

Yep that's the one. Nice pub with a good crowd and friendly staff. All in all a nice spot for a drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

You missed Downses while you were down that end of the City. Fantastic spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Lads we really need T and Hs back up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I pine for the Yellow House.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    I pine for the Yellow House.

Talking of the yellow house i noticed the for sale signs are gone off it,anyone know if it was sold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Talking of the yellow house i noticed the for sale signs are gone off it,anyone know if it was sold?

Was long rumoured to be some sort of Waterford FC supporters bar opening there with the old bookies beside it part of it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I second Tully’s. Great place for a catch up or a night out!

Love heading to the ginger man for a mid week pint too. Downses aswell nice for a quiet chat or family gathering.

Not sure how true but heard Sinnotts is being knocked and a hotel is going in there. Going to incorporate all the area of up to the chipper across from the Thirsty Scholar

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Has anyone tried Grady's yard yet? I've not been in town to see what it's like.

very nice place with a wide selection of beers and ciders

lots of tables but not many seats for loner types like me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

An Uisce Beatha is my favourite spot when I am down. Good selection of beer and live music everynight I think as well which is great to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I was in the a couple of nights ago. Nice pub with a cracking selection of beer on tap. There's a row of about 20 different taps which I only see as a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not sure how true but heard Sinnotts is being knocked and a hotel is going in there. Going to incorporate all the area of up to the chipper across from the Thirsty Scholar

Could call it the ‘No Sleep Hotel’

thomasm wrote: »
    Could call it the ‘No Sleep Hotel’

It's mainly to attract Hen/stag party's

Perfect area for a Hotel. Really need to sort out something with the empty Masons and old Kentucky buildings really big eyesores for the area

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭deadybai

Where is the best pint of Guinness in town lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

deadybai wrote: »

The Munster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Haven't been in there myself but i heard from a lot of people that Walsh's do a great pint of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

I'd say J&K Walsh myself

I see masons is being painted, looks like it could be opening again.

So for a hotel being built on sinnotts, that was been around a long time. Even when kavanaghs had muldoons they were looking at doing that.

Would ne nice to see but wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

914 wrote: »
    I see masons is being painted, looks like it could be opening again.

So for a hotel being built on sinnotts, that was been around a long time. Even when kavanaghs had muldoons they were looking at doing that.

Would ne nice to see but wouldn't hold my breath.

Masons is back open tomorrow with loads of cheap drink deals for students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Had two friends from Dublin down with me last night. We went to Phil Grimes, O'Gradys Yard, Geoffs and Davy MAcs.

Fantastic night all around, but we all agreed Phil Grimes was the one with the nicest vibe, very cosy and could have stayed all night.

I was torn between that and doing Downses, Tullys, Tom Mahers and Walsh's . Next time -
    Hopefully T&Hs reopens too!

Great options around the town :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

The Lantern/Crannog! I had a few over the weekend and they were superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Loving O’Gradys yard. Specially the 6.9% beers and 10.1% :D

Loving O’Gradys yard. Specially the 6.9% beers and 10.1% :D

Lovely spot but I wont be trying those 10.1% beers

Highest % I had was Duvel which is 8%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

The Alcohol content is irresponsible to be honest and thats coming from a craft appreciation fan. Trying to tell some people to savour the one strong beer is not applicable to the drinking culture here in my opinion. If a Macro style brewary did this they would be slated.

Advertisement