Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer Lingus bid for Business Class

• 08-09-2018 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭

Im off to San Fran next May and ill be flying out on Sunday afternoon. Has anyone ever been successful bidding to get to 1st class? I was thinking of throwing an extra 750 euros as an offer, no more, does that sound reasonable?

I was successful before going from Boston to Dublin by offering an extra 600 euros but San Fran is a longer flight, im looking for opinions from people who travel there regularly, how busy are Sunday flights etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Im off to San Fran next May and ill be flying out on Sunday afternoon. Has anyone ever been successful bidding to get to 1st class? I was thinking of throwing an extra 750 euros as an offer, no more, does that sound reasonable?

I was successful before going from Boston to Dublin by offering an extra 600 euros but San Fran is a longer flight, im looking for opinions from people who travel there regularly, how busy are Sunday flights etc?

I’d imagine that quite a few business people fly Sunday’s to SF for multinationals based in Silicon Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

I'm on 147 a fair bit on Sundays. Always pretty busy with tech guys so would imagine the bids would need to be higher to be successful in getting an upgrade to Business Class.

I've never bid before so don't have any examples

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I bid 550 on Orlando last year and was successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

To be honest I would rather put the €750 towards a hotel upgrade or several nights of fine wining and dining when I got there than a BC upgrade.
    But that's just me...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

To be honest I would rather put the €750 towards a hotel upgrade or several nights of fine wining and dining when I got there than a BC upgrade.
    But that's just me...
    Meh I’d go for the upgrade, if it’s a city break the hotel is only somewhere you sleep at night, the flight is somewhere you’ve to spend hours, I’d go for the upgrade especially for a day time flight where you’ll be awake, there’s great food and comfortable seats to be enjoyed, each to their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for the replies so far. I suppose my absolute limit would be 800euros for bidding for San Francisco. if they don't accept that then I will just look for a comfy seat in economy and save my money. I wouldn't be willing to go higher than that but id be thrilled if they accepted it.

Locker10a wrote: »
    Meh I’d go for the upgrade, if it’s a city break the hotel is only somewhere you sleep at night, the flight is somewhere you’ve to spend hours, I’d go for the upgrade especially for a day time flight where you’ll be awake, there’s great food and comfortable seats to be enjoyed, each to their own

Like I said, maybe it's just me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Thanks for the replies so far. I suppose my absolute limit would be 800euros for bidding for San Francisco. if they don't accept that then I will just look for a comfy seat in economy and save my money. I wouldn't be willing to go higher than that but id be thrilled if they accepted it.

In my experience if there’s a good bit of space, even a low ball bid will be accepted.

I could never get bid upgraded coming back to ireland on Thursday/Friday night but would regularly get upgraded heading west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    In my experience if there’s a good bit of space, even a low ball bid will be accepted.

I could never get bid upgraded coming back to ireland on Thursday/Friday night but would regularly get upgraded heading west.

Yeah, it’s not a case of what they’ll accept. Once there is an empty seat they will give it to the highest bidder above the minimum, I’d guess 750 would be enough if there were spare seats. So in reality assuming a spare seat you are against fellow passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

EI are happy to fly with empty seats in business, there is a 'value' they don't want to undermine in the product by accepting low ball offers.

• Advertisement

EI are happy to fly with empty seats in business, there is a 'value' they don't want to undermine in the product by accepting low ball offers.

What range would be seen as low ball? Are we talking 300-500 as just an insult to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

But you can fly business with Airmiles ? I've done that in the past.

Like I said, maybe it's just me...

Maybe it is.

Do they not upgrade staff any more...?

What range would be seen as low ball? Are we talking 300-500 as just an insult to them?

They generally have a lowest point and it has an indicator which shows the chances of you getting the upgrade. You won't be insulting anyone apart from a computer algorithm!! :D

They’re happy to fly with empty seats in that they don’t upgrade frequent flyers like US airlines. However if someone is waving 400 snots under their nose they’ll grab it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I only ever flew with Delta back when I was doing lots of miles.

1 in 4 transatlantics could be upgraded using miles, of the three left, generally I was given at least 1 free.

Never had to pay a penny.

Anyone frequently going to the states is nuts to even consider an Irish airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Money would be better spent on the flight back to Ireland where you could actually get some sleep in Business Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

They’re happy to fly with empty seats in that they don’t upgrade frequent flyers like US airlines. However if someone is waving 400 snots under their nose they’ll grab it.

I've found EI to be pretty good at giving free status upgrades!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

If I was to bid to upgrade for a flight in February, at what stage will they let you know if you have been successful?

• Advertisement

Kev11491 wrote: »
    If I was to bid to upgrade for a flight in February, at what stage will they let you know if you have been successful?

Most likely 24 hours in advance of flight.

If the load is light you’ll probably have confirmation 4 or 5 days in advance.

Well I made my bid-800 from Dub to San Francisco early next May. That's all I can do, im not willing to go higher than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

Well I made my bid-800 from Dub to San Francisco early next May. That's all I can do, im not willing to go higher than that.
    How much it would cost to buy a business ticket right now? This far out, business to the west coast is typically about €500 more than economy.

steve-o wrote: »
    How much it would cost to buy a business ticket right now? This far out, business to the west coast is typically about €500 more than economy.

You must be joking!

It was around 1000euro more one way when I was booking LA for February.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭steve-o

You must be joking!
    Sorry, you are right. If you only go as far as LA and SF, they don't offer the really competitive business fares. But if you connect onwards to other destinations around California then the business fares are much lower.

Bid for DUB-LAX upgrade today, just wondering whats the story with avios for this? will they still give you the economy rate or put you on an increased rate?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Economy tier points, don't know if you get avios on the bid price

• Advertisement
Advertisement