Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Netgear Orbi & HG659 (on Vodafone gigabit) wifi issue

• 08-09-2018 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

I've just moved from Virgin media 240 Mb broadband paired with an Orbi mesh wifi setup, where I got phenomenal speeds on wifi to Vodafone gigabit SIRO broadband.

Wifi speeds have tanked completely. I'm sure it's some sort of a setup issue. I have the Orbi connected to the router via a CAT6e cable, but I think speeds to Orbi are slow. I've plugged the laptop in to the Orbi and I get slower speeds than when plugged directly in to the router.

The odd thing is the wifi speeds on the Orbi were great in the first couple of days, but now they are hitting only something like 6Mbps which is insanely slow.

Do I need to set up the router somewhat differently to make the Orbi fly as it should?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

I did a full reset on the Orbi to see if the move from Virgin router to Vodafone router messed anything up.

No change.

Frustratingly, on a new Windows 10 laptop with i5 chip, it has about 6-10 download but 180 or so upload speed!! wtf.

Using speedtest on my phone, I get 300+ down and 190+ up from exactly the same spot.

Perhaps it's a Windows 10 issue??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

I think (ED E) can correct me but you can remove the the router Siro have supplied completely and use the Orbi? I thought someone had mentioned something about being able to do this with FTTH. I have Vodafone FTTC with a 659 which has been bridged. There are a few speed improvement settings in the Orbi which may help if you do not want to bridge or remove the Vodafone router completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

I think (ED E) can correct me but you can remove the the router Siro have supplied completely and use the Orbi? I thought someone had mentioned something about being able to do this with FTTH. I have Vodafone FTTC with a 659 which has been bridged. There are a few speed improvement settings in the Orbi which may help if you do not want to bridge or remove the Vodafone router completely.

I'll need the Vodafone router for the phone service I presume.

Ideally the orbi should be able to manage with the router installed.

I'm beginning to think the issue is Windows 10 related. No speed issues on an android phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

With Orbi yes I think you can, can manage the VLAN tags. GWifi can't at present and Eero I haven't checked.
    AlanD wrote: »
    I'll need the Vodafone router for the phone service I presume.

Yeah for now you do until somebody determines an extraction method or VF start offering the details up.
    AlanD wrote: »
    No speed issues on an android phone.

VPN/DNS/Software to watch BBC in Ireland etc? Thats you're problem if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭illingworth22

This might be a stupid statement, and I am only asking as I am due to have Vodafone Fiber fitted next week ans well as just ordering the Orbi (Black Friday deal) last week.

I had firstly figured that I would install the Orbi as an AP setup, would this work OK?

Secondly are you suggesting the Orbi Router can Route instead of the supplied Vodafone router using this setup? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104733752

Thanks in advance to ED E for the above link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

FTTH: Premium service
    Orbi: Premium wifi(Router)
    Vodafone Kit: Might as well be sold at Dealz

You *can* use Orbi as just the AP system but if you're spending all that cash in outlay and per month it seems poor to me to leave a weak link in the system in. I've not played with the SHG3000 (Powerstation) but just glancing at answers on the Vodafone forum I get the impression its rather limited. Less features, less support calls.

In either config you'll have all the same devices so you can always try it and see.

Advertisement